• Please log in to reply
21566 replies to this topic

#18201 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 05:54 PM

Ex-boyfriend says he wasn’t the last person with missing Alberni Valley woman

July 13, 2022

A man, claiming to be Amber’s boyfriend, reached out to CHEK News. Though many believe he was the last to see Amber, he says he was not.

Police said she may have been with a man.

He was identified as Justin Hall, whom Manthorne had been dating for close to a year.

Though they had recently broken up, Manthorne told a friend on the phone she was going to see Hall Thursday night. Friends believe she left her home on Great Central Lake west of Port Alberni the night before her Jeep was found.

Screenshot 2022-07-13 18.31.14.png

“She had a gift with her for him. She was planning to see him that night,” said Kristie St. Claire, a family friend.

Mounties found Hall earlier this week.

On Wednesday, CHEK News got a message from Hall’s email address.

Screenshot 2022-07-13 18.32.09.png

“…I did not hurt my girlfriend. I do not know why she isn’t back home,” wrote Hall.

“After our argument, I panicked, and I just wanted to get away from everyone. I wasn’t able to contact anyone because I didn’t have a cell phone, and by the time I did it was too late, I was already guilty in your eyes.”

The email goes on to say, “I read a pamphlet that was posted around Nanaimo that I was the last person with Amber. That is not true. I spoke to the RCMP and told him what happened that night. I understand that everyone is very on edge but I am part of this too. I lost the only person that still had my back. I have been calling her cell just to hear her voice and then I cry till I have no tears left. I would give anything to get her in my arms.”

#18202 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,955 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 10:44 AM

Street justice. 37 years later.

Ripudaman Singh Malik, one of two men acquitted in the 1985 Air India terrorist bombing, has been shot to death in Surrey, B.C.

A witness in the 8200-block of 128 Street told CBC he heard three shots and that Malik was hit in the neck. Malik owned a business in the area.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-dead-1.6520628

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 July 2022 - 10:44 AM.

• Matt R. and Wayne like this

#18203 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 05:52 PM

Search for missing Port Alberni woman focused on area near her home

Search efforts for Amber Manthorne are now concentrated just outside the city around Great Central Lake near Manthorne’s home, said friend Kristie St. Claire, who went to school with the missing woman.

St. Claire described her friend as a “multi-faceted, talented woman” who runs a cleaning company, works at a retail marine store and helps a friend in a photography business.

Manthorne is scheduled to be the maid of honour in an upcoming wedding, said St. Claire, who called her friend a “firecracker” and said it’s totally out of character for her to disappear.

“She’s the kind of person that just lights up a room.”

St. Claire said a search has already been carried out around Cassidy, where Manthorne’s white 2021 Jeep Compass was located last weekend. The police conducted forensic analysis and used a tracking dog, she said.

The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit recently joined the case.

The search of logging roads around Great Central Lake began Sunday night, St. Claire said.

“Since then we’ve rallied up everybody we have,” she said. “We’re creating maps, we’ve got a checkpoint at the Tseshaht market on Pacific Rim Highway through the day.”

St. Claire said she was heading to join the search late Thursday afternoon, as soon as she got off work, and planned to stay until sundown.

The search area is extensive and includes logging road and lakes, she said, so everything from drones to dogs and divers has been deployed. “We’ve had friends and people searching that area at length, stopping at every bridge to look underneath, checking anywhere and everywhere that they think that she might be.

Some of those who have joined the hunt work in search and rescue and have volunteered to come out on their own time, she said.

More: https://www.timescol...tm_campaign=snd

#18204 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 07:16 PM

Street justice. 37 years later.

Ripudaman Singh Malik, one of two men acquitted in the 1985 Air India terrorist bombing, has been shot to death in Surrey, B.C.

A witness in the 8200-block of 128 Street told CBC he heard three shots and that Malik was hit in the neck. Malik owned a business in the area.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-dead-1.6520628

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to take him out.

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#18205 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 08:09 PM

@cspoliceservice

File: #22-2054

Honda lawn mower stolen from @CSaanich Public Works vehicle on July 14th 12:30-1:30pm at Saanichton Green (Polo Park). 518 stamped on the engine in black.

If located, pls call Central Saanich Police 250-652-4441. Report anonymously, call Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477.

Screenshot 2022-07-14 21.04.10.png

#18206 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,955 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 08:11 PM

Suspects are described as Caucasian, medium build, well manicured lawn.
  • pontcanna likes this

#18207 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,027 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 10:17 PM

Last seen wearing jorts, and white New Balance runners.
  • Mike K. likes this

#18208 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 10:23 PM

You have to love the yin and yang of crime on the Island (or related to the Island) - biggest mass murder in Canadian history, cops down in fatal shootout with desperate armed yoof, missing/murdered woman case with suspect engaging the media and...a stolen lawnmower in Central Saanich :)

Edited by pontcanna, 14 July 2022 - 10:39 PM.

#18209 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,955 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 05:23 PM

A4363C9A-A5CB-4C80-9BE2-0E40DDECAA93.jpeg

Patrol officers responding to the stolen vehicle call at a multi-unit residential building in the 700-block of Queens Avenue just before 5 p.m. on July 13 found a loaded shotgun, ammunition and other firearms accessories inside the vehicle.

A search for the man last seen driving the vehicle led police to a temporary housing facility in the 200-block of Gorge Road East after 10 p.m. Patrol and integrated canine service officers entered the building and evacuated units around the one the suspect was believed to be in. After opening his door to police and being told he’d be arrested, the suspect barricaded himself inside.

https://www.vicnews....ge-rd-building/

All funded by your tax dollars. The suspect, on welfare. Accommodation provided by you. And police funded by you.

#mostvulnerable

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 July 2022 - 05:27 PM.

#18210 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 05:25 PM

Loaded Shotgun Seized, Man Arrested By GVERT After Barricade

Date: Friday, July 15, 2022 - Files: #22-26334, #22-26356

Victoria, BC – The investigation remains ongoing after officers with VicPD’s Patrol division, the Integrated Canine Service (ICS) and the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team (GVERT) all responded when an investigation into a stolen vehicle turned up a loaded firearm and a barricaded group of people Wednesday.

Patrol officers were called to a multi-unit residential housing facility in the 700-block of Queens Avenue just before 5 p.m. for a report that a stolen vehicle had been located there. When officers arrived, they located a loaded shotgun inside as well as ammunition and accessories for other firearms. Patrol officers and an ICS officer all began to search for the man who was last seen driving the vehicle.

Just after 10 p.m., officers’ search for the suspect led them to a unit in a multi-unit temporary residential housing facility in the 200-block of Gorge Road East. Given the presence ammunition and accessories for firearms located in the vehicle, Patrol and ICS officers responded and established containment while evacuating nearby units. The suspect then opened the door of the unit and was challenged by officers who told him he was under arrest. The suspect fled back into the unit and barricaded himself inside.

GVERT, including Crisis Negotiators, responded and took over attempts to resolve the incident peacefully. Just before midnight the suspect exited the unit and gave himself up to officers. At that time, clouds of what appeared to be smoke began billowing from the suite. Victoria Fire Department firefighters arrived and determined that the cause of the clouds was not smoke, but steam released when hot water pipes were damaged when the suspect attempted to “mousehole” into neighbouring suites to avoid arrest.

Officers learned that three other people remained in the suite and called for them to exit. Two people exited, were briefly detained, and released as they were not party to the suspect’s offences. The third person remained inside and refused to exit, telling officers they believed there was an active warrant for their arrest.

Officers worked to negotiate to have this second barricaded person exit the suite. Unfortunately, negotiations failed.

With more than a foot of water now flooding both the original suite and a neighbouring suite GVERT officers deployed irritant gas just before 1 a.m. The second barricaded person surrendered to officers shortly after and was taken into custody. Emergency crews were then able to enter the suite and contain the damage.

Officers queried the second barricaded person and confirmed that this person had no outstanding arrest warrants. They were offered treatment for irritant gas exposure and released. Water service to the entire multi-unit temporary residential housing facility was shut off for several hours as crews attempted emergency repairs following the extensive damage.

The original suspect was transported to VicPD cells where he was held for court. While this file is still under investigation, he faces recommended charges including firearm possession, careless use of a firearm, possession of stolen property, two charges related to the of possession of a firearm or ammunition contrary to a court order, driving while prohibited, and breach of release conditions.

No one was injured.

This file remains under investigation. If you have information about the suspect, or the incidents, please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-888-222-8477.

#18211 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,721 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 05:31 PM

...All funded by your tax dollars. The suspect, on welfare. Accommodation provided by you. And police funded by you....

#crimesofdesperation  :whyme:

#18212 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 07:03 PM

“After our argument, I panicked, and I just wanted to get away from everyone. I wasn’t able to contact anyone because I didn’t have a cell phone, and by the time I did it was too late, I was already guilty in your eyes.”

1-Argument
2-I panicked
3- Just wanted to get away from everyone
4-I didn’t have a cell phone

#18213 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,955 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 07:13 PM

1-Argument
2-I panicked
3- Just wanted to get away from everyone
4-I didn’t have a cell phone

It's all odd.  But until they find her or her body, hard to connect him to the death/missing file.  Generally, they can only keep you in for 24 hours after an arrest, before charges must be laid, to keep you in longer.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 July 2022 - 07:17 PM.

#18214 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 10:02 PM

‘We are not giving up’: Friends expand search for missing Alberni woman

July 15, 2022

Friends searched desperately for Amber Manthorne around Great Central Lake Friday — scouring logging roads, trails, and lakes for the Port Alberni woman, who suddenly vanished on July 7 and has now been missing for eight days.

“We are not giving up. We’re not leaving you,” said Kristie St. Claire a longtime friend of Amber Manthorne and the search organizer.

“We are just in such a horrible place right now,” adds friend Darah Pointon.

Pointon has known 40-year-old Manthorne since they were teenagers and described her as a person who would light up a room and made lasting friends, even with ex-boyfriends. So she is struggling with how to explain this to her 8-year-old daughter.

“It’s pretty much like losing family,” said Pointon’s daughter Taylor.

“She was like a sister. One of her nicknames was ‘Chip’ because she always liked to chip people up. She was always out to make people happy,” said friend and searcher Pat Curran.

St. Claire said everyone needs to remain positive.

“We have to keep staying positive while we’re realistic about the circumstances with what we’re facing like the possibility, probability that it will be a recovery,” said St. Claire.

A grid search is being planned around Great Central Lake on Saturday. Friends are inviting anyone with local knowledge, including divers, people with dogs, drones and those on horseback to join them at the Tseshaht market at 10 a.m. and head out on areas that have not yet been covered.

“Looking under bridges, and near waterways. Anywhere and everywhere that they can think of,” said St. Claire.

Morehttps://www.cheknews...thorne-1061030/

#18215 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 10:10 PM

But until they find her or her body, hard to connect him to the death/missing file.  Generally, they can only keep you in for 24 hours after an arrest, before charges must be laid, to keep you in longer.

Based on what seems like a slam-dunk murder case in Port Moody (in which the body was recovered in Hope and prime suspect - hubby - was caught telling some bald-faced porkie pies) they still haven't charged him over a year and a half later. Amber's case could follow similar lines.

Anyone interested in the Moody case should check out: https://trinahunt.com/

#18216 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 06:37 AM

Any updates on Mr. Watters?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18217 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 01:02 PM

Incident in Downtown Duncan

UPDATE: A spokesperson for the RCMP confirmed with CHEK News that they are investigating a homicide in downtown Duncan.

Mounties are currently investigating an incident in downtown Duncan.

It’s not entirely clear what the incident is, however, multiple RCMP officers are on the scene and have blocked off portions of Jubilee Street and Kenneth Street near Government Street.

Screenshot 2022-07-16 13.55.01.png

Multiple evidence markers can be seen placed out front of the Service Canada Centre building on Jubilee.

CHEK is on scene and has repeatedly reached out to the RCMP for information but has not received a response.

A witness told CHEK News that they heard sirens at around 3 a.m. Saturday and that multiple police vehicles were around the scene at around 6 a.m. Another witness described seeing “lots of blood” on the sidewalk on Jubilee Street.

Screenshot 2022-07-16 13.55.35.png

#18218 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 04:02 PM

VIIMCU investigating overnight homicide in Duncan

Major crime detectives have been called to investigate a fatal stabbing that happened in Duncan early Saturday morning.

North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP responded to a report of an injured man on the street in the city's downtown around 3 a.m., according to a news release from the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit.

The victim has been identified as a 33-year-old man from Duncan, according to police, who said efforts to notify his next of kin are underway.

“It appears the victim moved through the downtown area before being located," said BC RCMP spokesperson Dawn Roberts, in the release.

Morehttps://vancouverisl...uncan-1.5990673

#18219 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 16 July 2022 - 06:25 PM

Is there street people still camping on the hill at Saanich and Blanshard behind the BC Transit stop?

A reason could be the corridor between Douglas and Blanshard from Burnside up to Saanich Road is a haven for dumpster diving and easy pickings but residential and auto break ins?

#18220 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 16 July 2022 - 06:36 PM

Ex-boyfriend says he wasn’t the last person with missing Alberni Valley woman

July 13, 2022

A man, claiming to be Amber’s boyfriend, reached out to CHEK News. Though many believe he was the last to see Amber, he says he was not.

Police said she may have been with a man.

He was identified as Justin Hall, whom Manthorne had been dating for close to a year.

Though they had recently broken up, Manthorne told a friend on the phone she was going to see Hall Thursday night. Friends believe she left her home on Great Central Lake west of Port Alberni the night before her Jeep was found.

attachicon.gif Screenshot 2022-07-13 18.31.14.png

“She had a gift with her for him. She was planning to see him that night,” said Kristie St. Claire, a family friend.

Mounties found Hall earlier this week.

On Wednesday, CHEK News got a message from Hall’s email address.

attachicon.gif Screenshot 2022-07-13 18.32.09.png

“…I did not hurt my girlfriend. I do not know why she isn’t back home,” wrote Hall.

The email goes on to say, “I read a pamphlet that was posted around Nanaimo that I was the last person with Amber. That is not true. I spoke to the RCMP and told him what happened that night. I understand that everyone is very on edge but I am part of this too. I lost the only person that still had my back. I have been calling her cell just to hear her voice and then I cry till I have no tears left. I would give anything to get her in my arms.”

This doesn't make sense to me. The guy has what looks like Bluetooth earbuds for his workout music and using his mobile to take a selfie.

If you're that jacked in to electronic devices and social media (the selfie) why would you not take your phone with you. A simple solution would be to turn it off.

I'm not connected to my mobile as others are and i wouldn't give the damn thing up even for one day.

Another thought, if your girlfriend/friend/ex girlfriend goes missing I'd want to keep my phone on if she called me.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users