Photo

White males to pay more for Premiere of Victoria Comedy Series!

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

I'm probably giving too much credit here, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe, just maybe, these guys have not only generated a bit of publicity, but perhaps have actually driven a point home. Even the most annoyed of us should be able to pause for a minute and think:

"man, if I find this kind of unfair discrimination this offensive -- when I don't even have the slightest interest in attending the damn show in the first place, just imagine what if must be like to encounter real discrimination, like being denied housing opportunity because of my skin color, or the ability to get married because of my sexual preference. That would really suck."

Or maybe not. Either way we (many of us) get to return immediately to not worrying about this sort of thing actually affecting us on a daily basis, which is pretty nice.

Millions of white Canadians fled their homelands to be in Canada, Greg.

You, Greg, may have been born in Canada. You may have been born into privilege. And that's where your comprehension clearly ends, with your life and your life experiences.

Leave my life and my life experiences out of your limited understanding of the human condition.

Higgins' exercise is hateful and discriminatory even if he doesn't understand the implications of his actions. If Higgins and his organizers had dedicated a little bit of time speaking to any one of the thousands of white Victorians who fled their homelands fearing for their lives, the lives of their children and their families, with not a penny to their name, no English, no job prospects and a higher education that would mean nothing in their new homeland, they'd be ashamed of themselves for calling discriminatory pricing strata justice pricing.

This "comedic" exercise or whatever it really is to Higgins, was clearly created out of ignorance if he truly believes what he's doing is somehow just and fair.

• VicHockeyFan, rjag, LJ and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#102 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

Ouch.

#103 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

I'm probably giving too much credit here,

Yes.

hgffg.png

http://buildingtheroom.com/

• Mike K. and jonny like this

#104 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:44 AM

Millions of white Canadians fled their homelands to be in Canada, Greg.

You, Greg, may have been born in Canada. You may have been born into privilege. And that's where your comprehension clearly ends, with your life and your life experiences.

Leave my life and my life experiences out of your limited understanding of the human condition.

Higgins' exercise is hateful and discriminatory even if he doesn't understand the implications of his actions. If Higgins and his organizers had dedicated a little bit of time speaking to any one of the thousands of white Victorians who fled their homelands fearing for their lives, the lives of their children and their families, with not a penny to their name, no English, no job prospects and a higher education that would mean nothing in their new homeland, they'd be ashamed of themselves for calling discriminatory pricing strata justice pricing.

This "comedic" exercise or whatever it really is to Higgins, was clearly created out of ignorance if he truly believes what he's doing is somehow just and fair.

You're wrong on all counts regarding me. I'm not sure there is any reason to assume that my understanding of the human condition is any more limited or flawed than yours.

Edited by Greg, 19 September 2017 - 11:46 AM.

• shoeflack likes this

#105 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

...... this is great.

Why is it? In your opinion.

Edited by todd, 19 September 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

You're wrong on all counts regarding me. I'm not sure there is any reason to assume that my understanding of the human condition is any more limited or flawed than yours.

You should take the time to talk to immigrants before making the sorts of comments you did. Not everyone is here by choice. Some of us are here out of necessity. Discrimination knows no boundaries. Hate transcends gender and race.

Don't let someone with an agenda cloud your judgement. Higgins has exhibited a narrow-minded, overly simplistic understanding of the human condition in our community. His attempt to either inject humour or "justice," or both, into his comedy show's pricing strata has saddened and disappointed many people who have done nothing to deserve being singled out as persons deserving something as demeaning as "justice pricing," even if the only purpose is for comedic fodder.
  • qwerty and On the Level like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 sandradavis

sandradavis
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:09 PM

http://victoriabuzz....-death-threats/

#108 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

^ I see sandradavis that you have brought this topic full circle from posting the first post that brought this matter to our attention and then with your link to an online article about death threats. 

I guess under the category of "made you look", you have accomplished what you have set out to do. How about doing it somewhere else next time?

#109 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

I'm not sure SandraDavis is connected to it at all.  Just pointed out the issue in the first post.  It was not necessarily a promotion.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

Who can make the best justice joke?

Know it all.

#111 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

You should take the time to talk to immigrants before making the sorts of comments you did. Not everyone is here by choice. Some of us are here out of necessity. Discrimination knows no boundaries. Hate transcends gender and race.

Don't let someone with an agenda cloud your judgement. Higgins has exhibited a narrow-minded, overly simplistic understanding of the human condition in our community. His attempt to either inject humour or "justice," or both, into his comedy show's pricing strata has saddened and disappointed many people who have done nothing to deserve being singled out as persons deserving something as demeaning as "justice pricing," even if the only purpose is for comedic fodder.

I'm not sure how immigrants are even germane to what has been being discussed. Your lectures have displayed almost as much self-righteousness as the justice pricing post. You had no problem telling me all about your opinions of Charlottesville, even though I'm the one who'd lived there 20 years and was reporting based on first-hand reports from friends. I've lived and worked in four different countries, and traveled to 30-35 countries FWIW, so my perspective isn't particularly narrow.

When people complain about straight white males being persecuted, or the "war against Christians" (in North America), or other such nonsense, it strongly suggests that they really don't understand how much racism and homophobia still exist in much of the US and Canada. These "comedy series" folks certainly made their point awkwardly, or maybe they are even so deluded that they weren't trying to make a point at all. But that doesn't change the fact that much of the response on here has been so thin-skinned as to be laughable.

• Rob Randall and bluefox like this

#112 JamesBayRay

JamesBayRay
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:17 PM

\What did the judge say when a skunk entered the courtroom?

Answer: Odor, Odor in the court!!!

#113 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

I'm not sure SandraDavis is connected to it at all.  Just pointed out the issue in the first post.  It was not necessarily a promotion.

Ok let's ask Sandra.

Sandra am I wrong? Do I owe you an apology?

Sparky.

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

I'm not sure how immigrants are even germane to what has been being discussed.

Not all white folks are equal in the eyes of society, Greg. You're very fortunate to have had the privilege to travel to 30-35 countries and to live abroad.

I'm sorry if you feel my wording is condescending, it's not intended to be. My life experiences greatly differ from yours and it is clear to me that we'll never see eye-to-eye on this issue. I've made my points and am thankful for the opportunity.

Know it all.

#115 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

^ I see sandradavis that you have brought this topic full circle from posting the first post that brought this matter to our attention and then with your link to an online article about death threats. 

I guess under the category of "made you look", you have accomplished what you have set out to do. How about doing it somewhere else next time?

When was the death threat?

#116 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

Worked out great for bam margera and ryan dunn......

For the record bam margera is still alive.

#117 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

Anybody that believes there's been "death threats" should first ask to see copies of the emails or messages containing such threats ... because I guarantee that there's been no death threats issued to these trolls.

This has been one giant, poorly exercised, amateur troll of the VV forum by a guy trying to publicize his crappy show without it actually costing him any money.

It's probably time to let this dog do whatever it's going to do ... likely go cr_ap in the corner.

• AllseeingEye and todd like this

#118 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

\What did the judge say when a skunk entered the courtroom?

Answer: Odor, Odor in the court!!!

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Stink_bomb

Edited by todd, 19 September 2017 - 06:52 PM.

#119 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

I think the whole thing could have been avoided if they advertised something like "Those who identify as a minority receive a 50% discount" or something along those lines.

If you own your own house in Victoria that should make you a minority by now, right?

• qwerty and Redd42 like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#120 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:19 PM

When was the death threat?

Click on the link in post #107.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users