Photo

White males to pay more for Premiere of Victoria Comedy Series!

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#121 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

Click on the link in post #107.

What was the death threat?

#122 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

Reducing everything to identity and sentencing entire races to collective guilt and trying to treat them differently as a group is how we inch towards tyranny.
  • todd likes this

#123 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

Reducing everything to identity and sentencing entire races to collective guilt and trying to treat them differently as a group is how we inch towards tyranny.

Yep I'm okay with income based pricing, but not whatever this is.

Edited by todd, 19 September 2017 - 08:57 PM.

#124 sandradavis

sandradavis
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

Ok let's ask Sandra.

Sandra am I wrong? Do I owe you an apology?

Sparky.

I'm just passing along information that was sent to me. But I can see how it looked bad.

#125 sandradavis

sandradavis
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

Speaking of info, looks like things have escalated:

http://www.huffingto..._hp_ref=ca-news

I am feeling pretty unhappy with this whole thing now. Obviously it's just making people mad.

#126 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:37 PM

I am feeling pretty unhappy with this whole thing now. Obviously it's just making people mad.

The whole thing seems planned.  If he did receive a death threat, then justice needs to be served.  But it seems to be too convenient for the "white man evil" communicative that he seems to be trying to benefit from.

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:32 AM

“Constructive critiques have helped improve the model and organizers aren't taking the death threats seriously, Mohammed says.”

So now the death threats are also Willy nilly? Odd.

And then there’s this:

"We don't think the people we want at the event are particularly angry about this," he says.

So was the goal to keep white men out of the theatre? Who are the people he “wants?”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#128 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:38 AM

Thanks Sandy. Whoever sent that to you needs to have his bearings checked.

So now it gets worse? White males that are not gay were not wanted at the "event" in the first place? For crying out loud this gang doesn't quit do they?

"We don't think the people we want at the event are particularly angry about this."

Geezus.

#129 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:43 AM

^^ Sorry to duplicate you Mike. I was typing when I should have been reading. Ya know I am going to quit reading this thread for a while and go read some Hunter S. Thompson.
  • johnk and todd like this

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:55 AM

It's all good.

• todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#131 Wonderment

Wonderment
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:28 AM

"Also charged with first-degree murder was Mohammed Said (Sid) AbuSharife, now in his late 20s. But AbuSharife was acquitted in September." Times Colonist, 17 Nov. 2007

I searched Sid's name and this link came up. Is the article referring to the man who is an organizer for this premiere?

#132 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria Wonderment. 

As far as your question is concerned, I don't know. Why don't you ask him and report back. 

sidmohammedpr@gmail.com

#133 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:04 AM

"Also charged with first-degree murder was Mohammed Said (Sid) AbuSharife, now in his late 20s. But AbuSharife was acquitted in September." Times Colonist, 17 Nov. 2007

I searched Sid's name and this link came up. Is the article referring to the man who is an organizer for this premiere?

I don't think there's any reason to assume that Sid Mohammed is the same person as Mohammed Said (Sid) AbuSharife. Mohammed is an extremely common name. If you googled Tom Clark and an article came up for Clark Thomas (Tom) Smith, would you assume it was the same person?

• Mike K., tedward, gstc84 and 2 others like this

#134 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

Why not if you make less than $30000 = $10 admission  :)

Edited by todd, 20 September 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#135 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

All types of individuals face discrimination for all types of reason yes some groups are more likely to have this happen to them statistically. Your earning scale is a more accurate measurement tool?

Edited by todd, 20 September 2017 - 11:46 AM.

• RFS likes this

#136 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

Times Colonoscopy on the story this morning. Two days after VV.

#137 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

^You say that like it's a bad thing.

Anyway, the lesson I learned from all this is don't piss off Whitey.

• Benezet likes this

#138 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

Blue Bridge Theatre Society is the owner of the Roxy Theatre and, when not using the theatre for its own productions or events, rents the theatre to a host of other community groups. The upcoming screening of Building the Room has been rented to, and been entirely organized by a group not in any way associated to, or affiliated with, our society.

As well the tickets for Building The Room are not sold through the Blue Bridge box office system. Subsequently, neither the ticket prices nor the policies governing them have been established by us. Blue Bridge was not, at any time, consulted regarding these policies and, had it been, would not have agreed, nor will it ever agree, to policies that are discriminatory towards any person.

Nonetheless, while we deny any responsibility for the policies established by the organizers of Building The Room, we are deeply regretful for any offense that these policies may have caused any individual.

Rebekah Johnson - General Manager 
Blue Bridge Theatre Society

https://www.facebook...674679495888983

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#139 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

Over the past few hours, I have had the opportunity to discuss justice pricing in a lot more depth with the public and journalists interested in the ideas we are putting forward. Here are some thoughts I have about the pricing model that I think are relevant to future discussions.

– A lot of people have pointed out that the pricing model we’ve adopted is not equitable. They’re right. Having said that, equity does not equal equality. In fact, achieving equality sometimes demands inequitable treatment to correct for existing disparities in rights, privileges and economic power. Our income tax code, for example, is not equitable. People who make more money are taxed more. It is, however, aimed at promoting equality.

– I do not think we’ve nailed the pricing model. Obviously there was a problem with charging white males double for their tickets. It did not represent in real terms the disparity between average incomes and purchasing power that exist. This is why we have adapted the model to lower the price for white males. Still, the price does not represent in real terms the disparity in purchasing power, it’s too high. Given the right resources, we could work on a model that took into account a lot more and was more nuanced in terms of it’s treatment of ethnicity and gender as markers of purchasing power. In the meantime, I would like to point out that our inflation of the purchasing power disparity is justifiable due to the fact that we are the only people who are adopting this model. Much like insurance pricing, the more buy-in, the cheaper it will get. If more businesses join us, we can approach a more equitable solution to the issue of inequality.

– Many readers have pointed out that price discrimination along the lines of gender and ethnicity already exist. For example, women pay considerably more for hygiene products aimed at them. Women are also often charged more for used cars and car repairs. Even haircuts are much more expensive for women, even if it’s a straightforward job taking the same amount of time.  Minorities are often more harshly punished economically. More likely to be given speeding tickets. More likely to be randomly carded in Toronto (https://www.thestar....vince-says.html). It’s also been proven that people with ethnic names are less likely to be hired (https://www.forbes.c...b/#13ce46f45316 ).

Thank you again to everyone who has engaged with this topic. Please continue to carry out respectful debate and discussion. Together we can build a better society through communication.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#140 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

The one thing I learned from all of this is to stop reading David Black’s new book, Never Give Up On a Bad Idea, before I too decide to venture down the road to Badideaville.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users