BUILT
The Pearl Residences
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1628 Store Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: now selling
The Pearl Residences is an eight-storey condominium proposal situated along the 1600-block of Store Street in ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Pearl Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Pearl Residences | Condos; commercial | 8-storeys | Built completed in 2023

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

#121 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:00 AM

I like that pic because all three buildings are different...

They are different but well-balanced in terms of scale and density.

It's funny, but the Pearl is likely to get started even before the approvals on the Northern Junk/Gateway project are finalized. The latter will be 8 years in the proposal phase soon.  :whyme:

junk.JPG

#122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:17 AM

This will be an amazing project and I can’t wait for it to get underway.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#123 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

I still am of the view that the most successful approach to a building on the waterfront adjacent to Old Town has been the Mermaid Wharf approach in terms of its architectural detailing...

I have no problem with this opinion, but I also don't think we need to jump to any hard conclusions about which building was most successful*. Mermaid Wharf is Mermaid Wharf. The Janion is the Janion. The Pearl will be the Pearl. Victoria is a city. Relax and allow it to be varied and complex and interesting.

*At least not yet. When we're talking about "the most successful approach to a (new) building on the waterfront adjacent to Old Town", how many examples do we really have to consider?

the Regent Hotel,
Mermaid Wharf,
the Janion addition,

?

That's pretty much it. Even if we include the Salvation Army building and the Harbour Court mall building we still have only a handful of examples, fewer than one building per decade of post-1945 redevelopment. My point is, methinks our assessment will be much more meaningful after we have 10 or 20 items to consider, instead of just three or four.

#124 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

I'm trying to give Madoff the benefit of the doubt and assume she thinks the light, glassy, airy style of the Pearl would be a better fit for Songhees alongside Shutters?

#125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

...Madoff ...thinks the light, glassy, airy style of the Pearl would be a better fit for Songhees alongside Shutters?

I am sure that's what she thinks; I just happen to think she is incorrect. Then again, what do I know about the aesthetics of Old Town? Despite my 40 years of local residency apparently I was dead wrong about the Ironworks project.

#126 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

Variety is the spice of life. This is not really in the Old Town. It's on the very outskirts of Victoria's historic neighbourhoods. 

• aastra and Nparker like this

#127 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:02 AM

How could a modern-ish, modest sized building right next to our ultra modern bridge be out of place?

I think we need to ditch the neighbouhood labels for this area. What's going to be built from Fisgard to Pembroke over the next 20 years will essentially be a new neighbhourhood. Older, historic buildings will be in the minority. Let's preserve the quality old buildings that are in this area, but be adventurous with the new buildings. 

• aastra likes this

#128 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:18 AM

...right next to our ultra modern bridge...

I can't wait for a news item with a pic of some of the usual suspects standing on the new bridge with grim expressions on their faces, complaining about how modern architecture is ruining the old town waterfront.

The bridge is excluded from the discussion by default. Infrastructure, necessity, the city's project, etc. Politics always trumps what you can see with your own eyes.

• jonny likes this

#129 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

What's going to be built from Fisgard to Pembroke over the next 20 years will essentially be a new neighbhourhood.

Victoria has opportunities and potential that many other cities can only dream of, but the opportunities and potential tend to be framed as though they were perils and crises.

• jonny and cathawk like this

#130 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

Council will consider a development permit for this project tomorrow (August 2).
  • Nparker likes this

#131 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:05 AM

Do we know the outcome of last night's council meeting?

#132 darlenet8

darlenet8
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:27 AM

Do we know the outcome of last night's council meeting?

We do! We received unanimous support!  Thrilled to say the least...

• zoomer, Kapten Kapsell, Nparker and 3 others like this

#133 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:28 AM

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

#134 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:15 PM

Any updates on this project?

#135 darlenet8

darlenet8
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:14 PM

Any updates on this project?

Yup. We have the space at 508 Herald Street (old James River shop) and are nearing completion on the fix-up and plan to open the Presentation Centre early/mid-October. Our signage will be up next week, our website is active for registrations at *****.ca although I haven't begun promotion until some of our sales team are in place (next week)...so we are ramping up.  I was onsite with a wazoo drone rig yesterday for sunrise and we captured the views - we aren't focusing on the views generally because the view is a working harbour but from our Penthouse level? Crazy, amazing views of the inner harbour and across to the strait...stunning!  When we have an official opening of any kind, I will post an invite to this forum for folks to join us.  

Edited by darlenet8, 18 September 2018 - 04:14 PM.

• zoomer, Nparker, Hotel Mike and 2 others like this

#136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:21 PM

Thank you for this Darlene. Even though I am not in the market to purchase at this time, I am excited for this project.  :)

#137 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:00 PM

Website is up:

http://thepearlresidences.ca

#138 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:34 PM

The approval for this one sneaked in just in the nick of time. Presumably LeftCouncil© would only accept this project today if it were 100% free housing for the "desperate".

Imagine what concessions are going to have to be made now if there is any chance for the Northern Junk project. If I were the developer I'd propose a lovely "safe injection site" in one or perhaps both of the historic buildings.

#139 songheesguy

songheesguy
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:43 PM

I think it's been up a couple weeks because I registered on it and it said new website coming soon so no change there. Personally I hope it isn't micro units with electric heat but depends what level of luxury and price point.

#140 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:55 AM

Strange that the website picture has a box around the Pearl building and the Janion. With no other info on the site, it makes it look like a 2 building project. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users