Las Vegas mass shooting

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

^ we bill people the same way. If you are not on a government program.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 02 October 2017 - 04:07 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 RFS

RFS
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

Do we know for sure what kind of gun he was using?

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:23 PM

I heard the audio. It's a very automatic trigger.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:23 PM

There were 16 guns found in his room, I haven't heard confirmation of which gun(s) he used.

#45 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,510 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

^ we bill people the same way. If you are not on a government program.

I have never seen a hospital or doctors bill here in Canada. In the state's I have and even had employer provided extended health care.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,710 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

I have. We had a guest staying with us once and he broke his arm. The hospital (Vic General) handed him a bill as he was walking out. It was pretty high but I can’t remember the amount.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,862 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

A close buddy was/is in L-V for a convention, and was staying 6 floors directly below the shooter, and once he figured out what was happening naturally got the hell out of dodge PDQ late last night....

The only problem is that he is a kidney transplant survivor and needs to take anti-rejection drugs daily, at least every 12 hours, otherwise the kidney has the potential to shut down and fail. The police naturally cordoned off the Mandalay Bay once they figured out where the shots were coming from and were adamant that no one would gain entry until they had a handle on the situation and the gunman subdued. Very fortunately for him Kelly got access back to the hotel and his room - and to his meds - in hour 11 of the 12. Crazy....no doubt there were 1001 other similar mini-drama's happening all at the same time. 

IMO this sorry episode will budge the issue of access to guns not one iota on the American Handgun debate, sadly.

The Cult of Guns being too deeply ingrained within their culture and - of course - the fact that the Founding Fathers, itself a term and a concept that has achieved the status of deification for many Americans, virtually assures no meaningful conversation - never mind action - can or will occur in terms of repealing said access. Of course the irony is that attitude flies completely in the face of, you know, the actual meaning of the word "Amendment".....

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#48 RFS

RFS
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:39 PM

Of course, if he did use a machine gun made after 1980 something than it is illegal already. He may also have illegally modified a different weapon. If he was already using an illegally obtained weapon it doesn't do much for the gun control argument
  • VicHockeyFan and qwerty like this

#49 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,510 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

I have. We had a guest staying with us once and he broke his arm. The hospital (Vic General) handed him a bill as he was walking out. It was pretty high but I can’t remember the amount.

A guest from?

Did they have there care card?

What was the reason they got this bill? Please explain.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,710 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

Police were outside his door on the 32nd floor approximately 14-15 minutes following the call. At 17 minutes they definitively confirmed the shooter was in room 135. It was two uniformed cops up there at that time asking for SWAT.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,510 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Of course, if he did use a machine gun made after 1980 something than it is illegal already. He may also have illegally modified a different weapon. If he was already using an illegally obtained weapon it doesn't do much for the gun control argument

Well, gun control is about getting illegal shite off the streets. Some communities have offered to buy guns off the street for more than they could get off the street in the first place.

#52 RFS

RFS
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:17 PM

Well, gun control is about getting illegal shite off the streets. Some communities have offered to buy guns off the street for more than they could get off the street in the first place.

That's not what gun control is about in the political world. It's about criminalizing the possession of guns that are currently legal and generally disarming the public
  • weirdie likes this

#53 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,510 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:30 PM

And from your far right perspective of things I respect your opinion. Disagree, but respect.
  • VicHockeyFan and AllseeingEye like this

#54 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,458 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

Gun control is simply about political courage ... something 99% of American politicians don't have.

Courage to enact the control, and courage to enforce the control.

Exactly like we do in Canada, and how we've done for so long now that although we have guns (a fair number of them) ... we don't have anything resembling a gun culture.

For Americans though, it's not the 1700's any longer, and the United States isn't at risk of invasion from the British, or similarly at risk of their government siding with a foreign power over the will of the people.

In other words, the Second Amendment doesn't apply any more, and with the exception of a few crazies, nobody with a gun is in a militia ... mostly it's just a bunch of nuts with lots of guns.

Regardless, anybody who hopes 59 lost souls will alter the balance of the debate on gun culture in the United States hopes for far too much.

Edited by Cassidy, 02 October 2017 - 06:44 PM.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, AllseeingEye and 3 others like this

#55 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,510 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

^and thus the problem. There are so many illegal guns out there in the US that they could of made guns illegal (Canadian style) when I was born and there would still be enough machine guns for what happened today.

#56 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,862 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

And this analysis from CNN offers exactly zero surprises; the Democrats are PO'ed and the GOP including the President is pre-occupied offering prayers in the name of their mythical Sky Fairy - but as we all know precisely nothing of substance will change.

Symptomatic of the utter mess that is America in 2017 viz the gun debate is the fact in this story that a Texas GOP senator thinks "its disgusting" that the Democrats are 'politicizing' the Las Vegas shooting tragedy. IMO what is far more disgusting is the fact this yahoo represents a state that latest estimates calculate is home to 23,000,000 guns of all shapes, sizes, descriptions and calibers. Truly stomach-turning.....

http://www.cnn.com/2...bate/index.html

As always Jim Jefferies got it right and really exposes the hypocrisy of the American Gun Cult by laying bare the exact reason why 'Murrica is in love with firearms - and it ain't got 'nuthin' to do pardner with such noble ideals as the Founding Fathers or protection of the citizenry against the tyranny of the state. He nails it dead on starting at 1:52 into the routine....

http://www.dailymoti...m/video/x4g8777

• Nparker, sebberry, sdwright.vic and 1 other like this

#57 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,101 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

Sad information; terrible pun.

I didn't even notice the pun. Aastra is rubbing off too much.

#58 nerka

nerka
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:10 AM

The US has a murder culture problem as well a gun culture problem.

Twice the guns per capita as Switzerland, 4 times the gun murder rate.

Triple the guns per capita as Canada, 6 times the gun murder rate.

Overall murder rates mirror gun murder rates to an extent.  The US has a murder rate nearly three times Canada and 2.5 times Belgium the next highest developed country ranked by murder rate.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:16 AM

The white, middle class, non-inner-city-living and not-involved-with-crime portion of the US, where most people live, has no more gun deaths than Canada.  In fact it has less.  70 gun murders in BC so far this year, by the way.

120 gun deaths in the US now since Vegas.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 October 2017 - 07:17 AM.

#60 nerka

nerka
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:18 AM

That's not what gun control is about in the political world. It's about criminalizing the possession of guns that are currently legal and generally disarming the public

Or it could be none of the above. It could be restrictions on sales which are actually easier to enforce.

All countries restrict the "right to bear arms". Even in the US there are entire categories of "arms" that are entirely illegal to possess.

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users