Photo

Ranking the municipalities

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

Everyone wants the right place and nice things and nice people and the right kind of people and the right kind of atmosphere, etc.

The right kind of development. We've heard that one more times than we could ever count.

Edited by aastra, 05 October 2017 - 08:43 AM.

#22 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcGwkyzmPmA

• Matt R. and todd like this

#23 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

I would think we are all going to vote the municipality we live in the highest.  After all we chose to live here and no one held a gun to our head.  At least when I bought my house I knew the area I was specifically looking in.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

I would think we are all going to vote the municipality we live in the highest.  After all we chose to live here and no one held a gun to our head.  At least when I bought my house I knew the area I was specifically looking in.

Ya, if you read back in the thread, it's actually not about nominating or voting for your municipality.  It's about ranking stuff inside it.

Read back.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

How are people supposed to respond to those? Example: Victoria could get dinged for being unaffordable whereas Oak Bay could get high marks for being unaffordable. Victoria could get dinged for having street noise whereas Metchosin could get high marks for not having street noise whereas Central Saanich could get dinged for not having street noise. Some people would rate lack of schools or a family-friendly environment as a plus, others would rate it as a negative. Some people would say Wal-mart = shopping variety, others would say Oak Bay Avenue = shopping variety.

And that is why we have so many varied areas to live. Not everybody wants to live in a condo downtown. Some people like to live on acreages.

We are so fortunate to have a huge choice in lifestyle amenities in the lower island, everyone can be accommodated in the manner they choose.

I don't want every muni to look like downtown Victoria, we already have one of those, but you can choose Victoria or Metchosin or anywhere in between. Beautiful.

• VicHockeyFan and aastra like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:45 AM

All of those things you just said would apply to a place like Saanich or Langford, independent municipalities with a wide array of options for their residents.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:53 AM

ok, I am game, so how do we vote?  do we just write our reviews down in a post or is there a link to a website, etc?

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

ok, I am game, so how do we vote?  do we just write our reviews down in a post or is there a link to a website, etc?

In a week or so I will have an online survey made up.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

I want to keep it to under 10 questions.

1.  Traffic / noise

2.  Shopping variety

3.  Services - private

4.  Crime / street issues

5.  Culture / entertainment / restaurants

6.  Parks, indoor and outdoor recreation and green spaces, trails and walkability

7.  Schools

8.  City Hall / city services 

9.  Affordability

Would taxation fall under affordability? What about under City Hall? Would that include politicians being out of touch?

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

I don't know.  The idea is going to be to rate your own municipality.  At the start of the poll, you enter that.  

Nah...No point in rating your own municipality because we are all only 15 minutes from the next municipality and we all go to those places depending on what we want to accomplish on any given day. For instance some folks will flock to the inner harbour for the Symphony Splash and others will want to get well away from hearing it and dealing with the traffic. Dedicated bike lanes will attract a few people and others will stay away from Fort Street businesses. Some cyclists will limit their cycling to the Goose, the E&N Trail or the Lochside. I think the municipalty that has the chops to make chops from a dear cull will come out ahead in any poll.

#31 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

Ya, if you read back in the thread, it's actually not about nominating or voting for your municipality.  It's about ranking stuff inside it.

Read back.

Yeah there is no need to rank the municipalities against each other as the market has already done that for us. Oak Bay may not be everybody's cup of tea (bit too quiet for me) but the real estate market is telling me that Oak Bay is considered the most desirable place to live in the CRD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users