BUILT
Cedar Grove
Use: rental
Address: 210 Gorge Road East
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Cedar Grove is a five-storey below-market rental complex along the 200-block of Gorge Road East in the City of... (view full profile)
Learn more about Cedar Grove on Citified.ca
Photo

[Burnside-Gorge] 210 Gorge Road East | 6-storeys | Affordable rentals | Approved

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:36 AM

Thank you for the heads-up, Kapten!

This project will replace the 21-unit Cedar Grove Apartments complex operated by Cool-Aid with 82-units of below-market rentals for singles, working couples and seniors, and 32-units of assisted living rentals for adults. Units will range from 318 square feet to 718 square feet in studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom configurations.

82-units-of-affordable-and-supportive-housing-proposed-for-Gorge-Road.jpg

An artist's rendering of 210 Gorge Road East, an 82-unit affordable housing project pitched for Gorge Road East at Carroll Street in Victoria's Burnside-Gorge neighbourhood.

82-units of affordable and supportive housing proposed for Gorge Road

https://victoria.cit...for-gorge-road/

The Victoria Cool Aid Society has submitted a development proposal to the City of Victoria to build an 82-unit affordable housing project on Gorge Road East at Carroll Street in Victoria's Burnside-Gorge neighbourhood.

Dubbed 210 Gorge Road East, the six-storey complex will feature 50-units of below-market affordable rental apartments and 32-units of self-contained supportive housing rental units for adults requiring Cool Aid's on-site support services. [Full article]

• Kapten Kapsell likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

308F7784-69B7-4403-9CAD-074A20EA107F.jpeg

Here’s the revised proposal...

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

So the biggest change is in the colour?  :confused:

#4 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

Id say it looks good. Reminds me of selkirk. Too bad its not market rentals or condos. The wording they use is vague. The neighbourhood should make sure that by "supportive housing for adults" they don't mean "a place for junkies to keep their stolen stuff and shoot up"

#5 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:43 AM

This one is heading to a Public Hearing. http://www.timescolo...ring-1.23336728

• Mike K. likes this

#6 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:57 PM

The public hearing will take place at Council this Thursday evening Oct 4.

#7 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:23 AM

For a lack of a better term, this proposal got destroyed at Public Hearing last night. Only person to vote in favour was the man himself Ben Issit. And we wonder why there's no affordable housing  :squint:

• Nparker likes this

#8 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:47 AM

For a lack of a better term, this proposal got destroyed at Public Hearing last night. Only person to vote in favour was the man himself Ben Issit. And we wonder why there's no affordable housing  :squint:

Was it a complete wipe, or were the critiques fairly targeted at one aspect of the proposal?

#9 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:53 AM

Was it a complete wipe, or were the critiques fairly targeted at one aspect of the proposal?

Parking, height, the want for mixed-use, too many supportive units, pretty much everything.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:59 AM

How can this be? Housing affordability is everyone's #1 issue!!!  :whyme:

#11 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:59 AM

Parking, height, the want for mixed-use, too many supportive units, pretty much everything.

Gotcha. Thankfully, tent cities are low-rise, mixed-use developments so let's just keep that status quo going, eh? 

• Nparker, Jared, threePs and 2 others like this

#12 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:29 AM

It is beyond me why people get so upset about insufficient parking at public hearings. Would it not be a benefit to the community to have fewer cars driving up traffic in your neighborhood and instead have more pedestrians, cyclists and transit users? Are the complaints typically from those who want to live in the building themselves?

• Veblen likes this

#13 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:32 AM

It is beyond me why people get so upset about insufficient parking at public hearings. Would it not be a benefit to the community to have fewer cars driving up traffic in your neighborhood and instead have more pedestrians, cyclists and transit users? Are the complaints typically from those who want to live in the building themselves?

Think of how many people transitioning in/out of homelessness realistically own a car as well. (This is a Cool Aid development after all).

• Nparker likes this

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

Are the proponents heading back to the drawing board, or will they can the project as currently conceived?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 kjf

kjf
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:14 AM

This one is heading to a Public Hearing. http://www.timescolo...ring-1.23336728

I haven’t followed this proposal from Cool Aid as closely as other proposals from Cool Aid but some points made at meetings etc. and published in the TC, I agree with:

The community association has concerns about lack of support from the operators in dealing with problems around existing facilities.

And that these new affordable units would eventually be filled with supportive housing clients, so low income families end up not benefitting from these facilities.

#16 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:16 AM

How can this be? Housing affordability is everyone's #1 issue!!!  :whyme:

election year.  Gorge- Burnside voters don't want more shelters

• sdwright.vic and threePs like this

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:22 AM

election year.  Gorge- Burnside voters don't want more shelters

Fair enough, but since nobody wants shelters in their 'hood, I guess we'll just keep seeing more tent cities.

#18 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:33 AM

election year. Gorge- Burnside voters don't want more shelters

I would say this (especially since this proposal is almost across the street from me). Enough supportive housing in my hood thank you very much.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#19 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:59 PM

Burnside Gorge doesn’t want any additional supportive housing in their neighbourhood. I understand avoiding concentration of poverty because there’s actually a fair amount of peer reviewed research showing bad outcomes when poor people are ghettoized in a particular place.

Ideally there would be “spreading around” of supportive housing around the region including upper income locales like Oak Bay. But - in addition to objections raised by wealthy residents- land prices are definitely more expensive in places like Rockland and Oak Bay. I think that we will see more proposals for supportive housing in Burnside Gorge- not fewer- simply because land is less expensive there.

I don’t know what the answer is ...
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#20 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:47 PM

Honestly, I do not think Victoria council cares about the residents of Burnside Gorge.   No councillors I can think of have lived in that neighbourhood and the residential part is not really connected to the rest of the City of Victoria

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users