Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

At least 20 dead.

"NOT IN THE USA"

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,256 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

Those who have conceal and carry permits often leave their guns behind when attending a service.

I've noticed a few people wondering how the shooter was able to target so many seemingly without resistance in a state where many do carry a firearm.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 RFS

RFS
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

Apparently churches in Texas are “gun free zones”. The irony of course speaks for itself

#4 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,483 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

Guess having a gun isn't so useful when one is caught of guard and "in shock".
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,862 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

Apparently churches in Texas are “gun free zones”. The irony of course speaks for itself

Yes who would have thought that one would need a gun in a church.  :whyme:

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,256 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

Attacks on churches are actually far more common in the United States that you might think. So common that some churches in some states have designated armed parishioners.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

The National Church Shooting Database recorded a total of 139 shootings in churches between 1980 and 2005. In all, 185 people died, including 36 children. These numbers don't include other types of violence that don't involve guns, such as bombings, nor do they include the places of worship of non-Christian faiths, such as synagogues or mosques.

https://psmag.com/ne...ngs-in-churches

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,862 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

Attacks on churches are actually far more common in the United States that you might think. So common that some churches in some states have designated armed parishioners.

It's comforting to know there are armed parishioners to protect you from the other armed parishioners. It gives new meaning to "the blood of Christ". When it comes to firearms and the USA, there is literally nothing that would surprise me, with the possible exception of the powers that be seriously looking at some sort of restrictions. But travel bans and heavy vetting will make everyone safe.

And since this thread really has nothing to do with Victoria, I will read no additional posts and make no further comments.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,256 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

There's some information coming out suggesting the shooter was in full combat gear.

Know it all.

#10 RFS

RFS
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

https://www.cbsnews....stream-updates/

The shooting suspect has been identified as Devin Patrick Kelley, CBS News has learned from federal law enforcement sources.

Kelley is a former U.S. Air Force member who served from 2010 to 2014. He received a dishonorable discharge and was court martialed in May 2014, CBS News has learned.

Edit: apparently one church goer was armed and returned fire as the shooter fled the scene

Edited by RFS, 05 November 2017 - 03:33 PM.

#11 legaN

legaN
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

Sounds like a white name. Thoughts and prayers to everyone involved. No changes required let’s move on.

#12 SimonH

SimonH
  • 501 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

Devin Kelley:

https://www.thedaily...s-church-killer

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,547 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

Here's a video of last week's service. Just regular small town folks. Lots of little kids. Heartbreaking.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=KYu-XUdms10

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

TC not bothering to cover the story yet.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#15 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

Snepsts!

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan and Chris City like this

#16 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,406 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

Edit: apparently one church goer was armed and returned fire as the shooter fled the scene

It wasn't anybody from the church ... it was a guy that was a neighbour of the church who heard what was going on and went back into his house to get his gun.

And when he had his gun, he engaged the guy ... they don't know yet whether it was the residents shot that killed the guy, or if the shooter did what all cowardly shooters do and killed himself.

-Cue the right wing gun nuts to completely misinterpret the Second Amendment ... over and over again.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#17 On the Level

On the Level
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:37 PM

2 of the deadliest mass shootings in US history have happened in the last 35 days.  Good job the US constitution.   Can we do better?  I'm sure the NRA (with all their funds) can help support better equipment and deregulation to make better numbers.

Who has retirement stock in colt?

• Nparker likes this

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,256 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:50 AM

Isn’t that type of rifle available in Canada?

Know it all.

#19 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,406 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

Isn’t that type of rifle available in Canada?

It is, but it's in the "Restricted" category.

Being restricted makes it difficult to acquire, and requires that everybody that handles the firearm from it's entry into Canada, to the final owner has to be licensed.

This licensing includes the shipping company that brings the firearm into Canada, the store that sells it, the courier company that delivers it, and the guy who finally owns it.

The weapon is tracked by the RCMP from entry to Canada, until the day it's either turned in, or destroyed.

There are very few "loose" AR-15's in Canada ... if there are any at all.

If you want one, your application is manually processed by the RCMP, and includes live interviews with you, and then two people who know you, and will vouch for you.

Like handguns, the road to ownership isn't easy ... but is possible.

To say the ownership would immediately, and forever place you on the RCMP and you local police forces radar would be an understatement.

So "yes" you can get an AR-15 rifle here in Canada (it's just a semi-auto after all), but you've really got to want one, and you'd better be able to sit through an RCMP interview ... along with finding two people who will sign paperwork vouching for you as a mentally stable and responsible Canadian citizen.

As always, and (thankfully) unlike the United States ... there is no assumed "right" to firearms ownership in Canada, and the RCMP can choose not to accept "because I want one" as a valid enough reason to issue you a restricted firearms license.

Edited by Cassidy, 06 November 2017 - 07:17 AM.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:22 AM

This must be fake news, the TC is still not covering the story.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users