Texas Shooting

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:22 AM

Have a quick look through Cabela's online catalogue of un-restricted rifles they sell in Canada. You might be surprised by what you see: https://www.cabelas....-automatic/1139

Virtually everyone I know who has a firearms license has also upgraded to a restricted firearms license. The two go hand in hand for most hunters and enthusiasts. Don't let the word fool you into thinking the designation is something that it isn't.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:34 AM

It is, but it's in the "Restricted" category.

Being restricted makes it difficult to acquire, and requires that everybody that handles the firearm from it's entry into Canada, to the final owner has to be licensed.

This licensing includes the shipping company that brings the firearm into Canada, the store that sells it, the courier company that delivers it, and the guy who finally owns it.

The weapon is tracked by the RCMP from entry to Canada, until the day it's either turned in, or destroyed.

There are very few "loose" AR-15's in Canada ... if there are any at all.

If you want one, your application is manually processed by the RCMP, and includes live interviews with you, and then two people who know you, and will vouch for you.

Like handguns, the road to ownership isn't easy ... but is possible.

To say the ownership would immediately, and forever place you on the RCMP and you local police forces radar would be an understatement.

So "yes" you can get an AR-15 rifle here in Canada (it's just a semi-auto after all), but you've really got to want one, and you'd better be able to sit through an RCMP interview ... along with finding two people who will sign paperwork vouching for you as a mentally stable and responsible Canadian citizen.

As always, and (thankfully) unlike the United States ... there is no assumed "right" to firearms ownership in Canada, and the RCMP can choose not to accept "because I want one" as a valid enough reason to issue you a restricted firearms license.

Guns are probably smuggled into Canada as easy as drugs.

Criminals don't register guns.

Criminals steal guns.

Gun registry in Canada has been a failure.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:36 AM

Deadly Texas church attack stemmed from 'domestic situation'

The Texas Department of Public Safety says the suspect's mother in law went to the church where a gunman opened fire, killing 26 people yesterday. The department says this was not a racially motivated attack. Ten people remain in critical condition.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

The Texas victims’ ages ran from 5 to 72, according to authorities, though one family said a 1-year-old died. The shooter, identified now as Devin Patrick Kelley, first opened fire on the outside of the church just after 11 a.m. with a Ruger assault rifle. Kelley, clad in black tactical gear, then sprayed the building’s inside with bullets.

He hastily fled the scene after engaging in a gun battle with a neighbor, the same man subsequently riding shotgun in Langendorff’s truck.

“It was more see and do,” Langendorff later told reporters. “Act now, ask questions later.”

Blasted with adrenaline, Langendorff wove his truck at high-speed through traffic while trying to catch the fleeing car. The speedometer crossed 95 mph while the driver narrated everything to law enforcement. “I was on the phone with dispatch the entire time,” he said. “I gave them the direction we were going, on what road and everything, and that the vehicle was in sight and that I was getting closer and closer to him.”

Kelley’s vehicle, however, broke from the roadway and crashed into a ditch about 11 miles north of the church. Langendorff pulled his own truck within 25 yards.

“The gentleman that was with me got out, rested his rifle on my hood and kept it aimed at him, telling him to get out, get out. There was no movement, there was none of that. I just know his brake lights were going on and off, so he might have been unconscious from the crash or something like that, I’m not sure,” he said.

Police were on the scene within five to seven minutes, Langendorff said Sunday night. Freeman Martin, a regional director for the Texas Department of Public Service, told The Post authorities had yet to determine whether Kelley was killed by a self-inflicted gunshot wound or hit in the gunfire at the church. Multiple weapons were found in Kelley’s vehicle.

On Sunday night, Langendorff explained his reaction to the shooting — jumping into a car chase — was a simple calculation. “He just hurt so many people, he affected so many people’s lives, why wouldn’t you want to take him down?”

https://www.washingt...m=.b7696a5dfa3c

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 November 2017 - 08:49 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,903 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

Don't let the word fool you into thinking the designation is something that it isn't.

It doesn't fool me one bit ... does it fool you?

Because decent, law abiding Canadians can jump through all the hoops and get a restricted firearms license by going through the proper procedures doesn't mean it's "easy" to get, or that it is in any way less a deterrent to illegal sales of firearms.

It's certainly better than the American system of simply going to a gun show and buying an AR-15 with your drivers license.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

Looks like the gunman was a self-described aethiest.

In short, the guy was a deranged, sick individual who had to lie to obtain a gun permit. He had been denied a firearm on the grounds of a criminal record but managed to get his hands on the weapon regardless.
  • Cassidy likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 RFS

RFS
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

Because decent, law abiding Canadians can jump through all the hoops and get a restricted firearms license by going through the proper procedures doesn't mean it's "easy" to get, or that it is in any way less a deterrent to illegal sales of firearms.

It's certainly better than the American system of simply going to a gun show and buying an AR-15 with your drivers license.

That’s not true the “gun show loophole” has been exposed as false many time

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Well, you did just say that type of rifle is restricted in Canada, but you and I can walk into Cabela’s today and purchase a .22 caliber assault-style rifle with a regular firearms license. No need for a restricted firearms license.

I don’t think you’re on the up-and-up on gun culture in this country. I’m certainly no expert, but I have friends who participate in shooting competitions and their home arsenals are comprised of a multitude of scary looking semi-automatic weapons. Some are restricted, but some are not.

In fact you can purchase an AR-15 in Canada with a restricted license. All that means is there are terms by which you MUST abide if you wish to fire the weapon. Big whoop if your intent is to use it to gun down civilians. And if you’re a bad guy, it’s not hard to purchase one on the black market. Just look at how many not only restricted but ILLEGAL weapons are siezed by our south Island police forces each year.

Know it all.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

Actually, since we’re on this topic. The reason why so many people in Canada shoot .22’s is the low cost of the bullet. Higher caliber weapons are expensive to operate in this country unless you prep your own bullets.

Know it all.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

Officials now saying this all stemmed from a domestic situation.

Know it all.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

He spent a year in military jail. And was upset at in-laws.

#32 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

Clearly Canadian guns laws don't work, what with our ... 1 mass shooting this year (Quebec Mosque, 6 dead) versus the US and it's 69 shooting with 3+ dead this year.

The US model is clearly the one we should be emulating to cut down on the gun violence in Canada.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

Jeepers. Let’s not pretend cities like Vancouver and Toronto don’t have major problems with gun violence.

We can split hairs all day long but criminals have easier access to illegal and restricted weapons than you and I have access to a car loan.

Know it all.

#34 todd

todd
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

We can split hairs all day long but criminals have easier access to illegal and restricted weapons than you and I have access to a car loan.

You know this for a fact Mike?

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:56 PM

YES! I do.

Lol, here's a good story. The very first day I started working for the Fraser Health Authority in Surrey (I was a co-op student) in the parking lot of the building near Guildford Mall (formerly North America's #1 auto theft hot-spot) the staff and I were observing a gun deal. Two cars had pulled up, one guy got out with a brief case, another guy got out. They put the briefcase down, they checked out the weapons, exchanged the suitcase for another bag and that was that. We saw it all clear as day. As a kid from Victoria I was shocked but the staff in the office just said "welcome to Surrey."

• todd likes this

Know it all.

#36 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,903 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

That’s not true the “gun show loophole” has been exposed as false many time

Wrong.

An unlicensed dealer at a gun show is under no obligation to do a background check on anybody wanting to purchase a gun from his table.

In 100% of cases of guns sold by unlicensed firearms dealers at American gun shows, criminal background checks were not performed.

That some folks may not understand what the "gun show loophole" actually is might get you some buy-in for your incorrect observation ... but for those that do understand the gun show loophole, yours is just another intentional right-wing misstatement designed to imply that guns are "under control" in the United States - when clearly they're not.

#37 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,903 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

Well, you did just say that type of rifle is restricted in Canada, but youand I can walk into Cabela’s today and purchase a .22 caliber assault-style rifle with a regular firearms license. No need for a restricted firearms license.

I don’t think you’re on the up-and-up on gun culture in this country. I’m certainly no expert, but I have friends who participate in shooting competitions and their home arsenals are comprised of a multitude of scary looking semi-automatic weapons. Some are restricted, but some are not.

In fact you can purchase an AR-15 in Canada with a restricted license. All that means is there are terms by which you MUST abide if you wish to fire the weapon. Big whoop if your intent is to use it to gun down civilians. And if you’re a bad guy, it’s not hard to purchase one on the black market. Just look at how many not only restricted but ILLEGAL weapons are siezed by our south Island police forces each year.

My observation was that an AR-15 type rifle requires a restricted firearms license.

I didn't say, or imply that you couldn't purchase a .22 in an "assault style" configuration legally from Cabella's, so I don't know what this refers to in the context of my post, or towards me not understanding gun ownership in Canada?

Decent, law-abiding Canadian citizens can own 12 or 15 weapons legally if they choose. I didn't say they couldn't own 15 (or 50) firearms legally, so I'm not sure what this has to do with my post, or me not understanding gun ownership in Canada?

Nowhere in my post did I state, or even imply that illegal guns weren't available in Canada, or that criminals may indeed be in possession of illegal weapons in Canada - so once again I'm unsure how this proves that I'm somehow "uninformed" about gun ownership in Canada?

Straw-man much?

• Mike K. likes this

#38 LJ

LJ
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

It's easier than that, you can buy them second hand through many sources without any ID, just show up with money. There is so many guns floating around down in the US it's incredible.

The guy was jailed by the air force and dishonourably discharged, but, they forgot  to enter this information into civilian data bases. Sheesh.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#39 RFS

RFS
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

It's easier than that, you can buy them second hand through many sources without any ID, just show up with money.

You think that doesn’t happen in Canada?

#40 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:41 PM

Is this the new argument?  No difference between Canada and US gun laws?   Must be why their gun homicide rate is 10 times ours.    Nothing to do with guns right?  According to Trump, Americans must be mentally ill at ten times the rates of Canadians.   Probably why he made it easier for the mentally ill to buy guns.  That's a big market that can't stay untapped!  

Edited by LeoVictoria, 06 November 2017 - 10:47 PM.

• VicHockeyFan, nagel and Cassidy like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.