Texas Shooting

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:53 PM

Is this the new argument?  No difference between Canada and US gun laws?   Must be why their gun homicide rate is 10 times ours.    Nothing to do with guns right?  According to Trump, Americans must be mentally ill at ten times the rates of Canadians.   Probably why he made it easier for the mentally ill to buy guns.  That's a big market that can't stay untapped!  

Oh, I dunno.  According to "Hey Jackass", only 17 white people have been killed in Chicago this year.  Whereas 468 blacks and 105 Hispanics have.   And of the 89 known assailants so far, only 2 are white.

Now, let's examine the murders in Vancouver this year...

Randeep Kang - Oct. 27, 2017
Nicholas Khabra - Oct. 23, 2017
Marline Mars - Oct. 13, 2017
Joseph Glen Jandrew - Oct. 13, 2017
Amjad Ibrahim - Oct. 10, 2017
Diana Mah-Jones and Richard Jones - Sept. 27, 2017
Unidentified person - Sept. 18, 2017
Joseph Lucien De Carvalho - Sept. 18, 2017
Brandy Petrie and Avery Levely-Flescher - Sept. 1, 2017
Sehajdeep Sidhu - Aug. 31, 2017
Pardeep Singh - Aug. 29, 2017
Roscoe Henry Carmack - Aug. 28, 2017
Tanner Krupa - August 20, 2017
Chelsey Gauthier - Aug. 16, 2017
Jaspreet Sidhu - August 4, 2017
Bhavkiran (Kiran) Dhesi - Aug. 2, 2017
Yee Hung (Roland) Chin - July 21, 2017
Marrisa Shen - July 19, 2017
Sandra McInnes and Neil Croker - July 9, 2017
Unidentified man - July 8, 2017
Doug Presseau and Steve Drage - July 7, 2017
Clarence John Crothers - July 4, 2017
Mark Eriksen - June 27, 2017
Tyler Joseph Pastuck - June 9, 2017
Nektarios Pardalis - May 30, 2017
Janice Nicole Bryant - May 23, 2017
Jasdeep Singh Klair - May 14, 2017
Muzaffer Darwaish - April 24, 2017
Pardeep “Terry” Dulay - April 15, 2017
Tyrell Michael Sinnott - April 1, 2017
Jaspreet “Jesse” Dhaliwal - March 26, 2017
Jaskarn Lally - March 24, 2017
Unidentified man - March 14, 2017
Birinderjeet Justin Bhangu - March 13, 2017
Navdip Singh Sanghera - March 9, 2017
Harjit Singh Mann - March 9, 2017
Sofien Kazdaghli - March 4, 2017
Joseph Kellington - March 3, 2017
Allen William Skedden - March 2, 2017
Parveen Maan - Feb. 23, 2017
Satkar Singh Sidhu - Feb. 20, 2017
Shawn Curtis George - Feb. 11, 2017
Maninder Singh Braich - Feb. 9, 2017
Lubo Kunik - Feb. 1, 2017
Francis Son Le - Jan. 27, 2017
Joseph Billy Bustinski - Jan. 27, 2017
Hershan “Shawn” Bains - Jan. 27, 2017
Karanpartap Singh Waraich - Jan. 23, 2017
Martin Shen - Jan. 16, 2017
Calvin Chi Hang Zhao - Jan. 1

I might have missed highlighting a few.  See any similar Canadian trends?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 November 2017 - 10:59 PM.

• RFS likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:18 PM

Was gonna reply but realized its pointless so deleted it.   Carry on.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 06 November 2017 - 11:19 PM.

• Matt R., todd and nagel like this

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,067 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:34 AM

Well, a guy did just shoot a cop to death yesterday in this very province. But that doesn’t happen in Canada.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 RFS

RFS
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:49 AM

The other thing that is worth thinking about, in the 40s, 50s, 60s in the US anyone could walk into a store with cash and walk out with a gun. But mass shootings were virtually unheard of. So what else has changed?

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,067 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

Mass media hype and glamorizations of mass shootings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:28 AM

Mass media hype and glamorizations of mass shootings.

It's not that simple.

I think you also have to look at the rise in suicide rates (shooters very often kill themselves, or expect to be killed by police or others) and even the characterisations of jail conditions in the entertainment industry - not in news media.  After all, what was it the Aurora shooter thinks was awaiting him after he was caught?  Would jail be like in Sons of Anarchy, or Oz?

There is a certain culture of gun ownership.  Maybe your typical 1950's teenager did not dream of firing assault rifles, for fun or for murder, like they may now.   I'm not blaming that on the entertainment or video game industry, but there is more than likely some strong influence.  That might be what you refer to as the galamorization of killing though.  That's the idea of many 1-st person point-of-view video games.  When I was a kid, we never really had any games where we killed other people, mostly we were too busy fighting off Space Invaders and the like.

space-invaders-retro-plain-820x532.jpg

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 November 2017 - 07:35 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,393 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:33 AM

The other thing that is worth thinking about, in the 40s, 50s, 60s in the US anyone could walk into a store with cash and walk out with a gun. But mass shootings were virtually unheard of......

False.

https://en.wikipedia...e_United_States

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:43 AM

That's a lazy post.

The list you cite shows all of 2 massacres between 1934 and 1976 (28 dead in total, 19 of which were protestors killed by police in Peurto Rico ie. they are not people that walked into a store and bought a gun for cash), that's a 32-year span.  How are you proving him false with that link?  We just had 2 in a 2-month span (Texas and Vegas).

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 November 2017 - 07:46 AM.

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,067 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:55 AM

Hmm, video games, which brings us back to the media realm via entertainment.

Does hardcore rap music entice youth to live the “thug” lifestyle? They certainly wouldn’t be listening to Madonna, that’s for sure.

Know it all.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

Does hardcore rap music entice youth to live the “thug” lifestyle? They certainly wouldn’t be listening to Madonna, that’s for sure.

To some extent, for sure.  Look at all the Baltimore blacks that live that thug life.  Shows like The Wire glamorize that.  You might say Pretty Woman galmozed prostitution.  But the whole Hollywood system and celebrity worship leads to all kinds of poor consequences for many.  For every Brad Pitt, George Clooeny or Jennifer Lawrences, there are 2,000 Joe Blows and Jane Does that never make it.  But I do not blame the music or the TV shows, or Hollywood ie. I'm not gong to call for their censorship or reform.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 November 2017 - 08:04 AM.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,067 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:10 AM

So maybe that’s the issue, that we no longer as a society practice restraint. We no longer “self-censor” in order to maintain societal order or respect our fellow person.

Look at CHEK and Black Press glamorizing the motorcycle incident on Harriet Road. Even yesterday when there was that lock down at Esquimalt one (or more) local media orgs were live-streaming from the area. Wtf?

Know it all.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,067 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:37 AM

We now know the following:

- the man who shot the church shooter had been alerted to the incident by his daughter. He was at home not far from the church

- he grabbed a rifle from his safe

- loaded the rifle

- ran out and spotted the shooter

- he shot the shooter, wounding him

- the shooter then got into a pick-up

- shot at the man

- took off

- the man jumped into a random truck with keys in the ignition and followed

- the shooter killed himself 

The man who responded and stopped the massacre was an NRA instructor.

"Willeford, a former NRA instructor, got his rifle out of his safe while his daughter looked outside again. She ran back in and told him she saw a man in black tactical gear shooting up the church."

Know it all.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

I don't think the media should ever self-censor.  People can turn off Global when they show a school stabbing video, or not read Black Press if they post a motorcycle crash video.  People could use some restraint.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

- the man jumped into a random truck with keys in the ignition and followed

No.  The rifle guy (the father that grabbed the rifle after being alerted by his daughter) jumped into a truck driven by another guy that has been well-identified, he agreed to give chase with the rifle-man in the passenger seat, and followed for 11km and speeds up to 95mph (sorry about mixing measurements here).

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 November 2017 - 08:42 AM.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,067 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

Oh yeah, I could care less what the media does as I can choose not to consume their content. But society as a whole needs to self-censor. I can't believe how much swearing you hear now in public places. **** this, **** that. On a public transit bus. It's gross.

Now i'm no angel when it comes to liberal word choices when among friends, but come on, you jerk on the bus, have some respect for those around you.

Know it all.

#56 todd

todd
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

I blame inventors just stop inventing or at least stop letting the bull out of the barn.

#57 SimonH

SimonH
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

I'm stateside at the moment. Other than the media no one talks about the shooting. We have a coffee group that meets everyday and have been out for dinner the last 2 nights. It has not been mentioned in conversation once.

Bottom line is if it doesn't affect you no one cares.

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,067 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Granted, I'd be staring in shock if I were out to dinner with you, so maybe that skews what you're observing somewhat.

• VicHockeyFan, lanforod and SimonH like this

Know it all.

#59 todd

todd
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:56 PM

Granted, I'd be staring in shock if I were out to dinner with you, so maybe that skews what you're observing somewhat.

No, Simon just looks bit stressed already.

#60 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,393 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

That's a lazy post.

The list you cite shows all of 2 massacres between 1934 and 1976 (28 dead in total, 19 of which were protestors killed by police in Peurto Rico ie. they are not people that walked into a store and bought a gun for cash), that's a 32-year span.  How are you proving him false with that link?  We just had 2 in a 2-month span (Texas and Vegas).

Nothing lazy about it.

The list shows that Americans have been killing each other in great numbers for over a hundred years.

Granted, it's not all by gunfire ... but I'm not sure that makes any difference.

That people can leverage the attention that can be garnered from 24 hour news channels, the internet, and massive social media platforms may inspire more folks today to pick up a gun and shoot some people, but that's got nothing to do with gun laws, or lack of gun laws ... and it's got everything to do with the ongoing catastrophic failure of American society in general.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users