Photo

BC Ferries website

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

Man, is this the most frustrating  site, or what? Every time there is a weather event or something else that may effect the schedule...you can't access their service announcements or current conditions pages..."Sorry the site may be too busy...please try again later". Guess what, BC Ferries....if you're cancelling sailings, people are going to go to your website for info! Yes, it's going to be busy...that's how it works.....figure it out.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,134 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:08 AM

Man, is this the most frustrating  site, or what? Every time there is a weather event or something else that may effect the schedule...you can't access their service announcements or current conditions pages..."Sorry the site may be too busy...please try again later". Guess what, BC Ferries....if you're cancelling sailings, people are going to go to your website for info! Yes, it's going to be busy...that's how it works.....figure it out.

Yup, it's really lame.  You could set up a freaking Google Drive page that would never crash even if a million people were accessing it.

• Rob Randall likes this

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 38,187 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:21 AM

There's zero excuse for outings in this day and age. Makes you wonder why BC Ferries has the server setup they currently have. An organization as large as BCF with as important of a website as BCF should be on robust scalable server infrastructure.

The premise is like so: you pay for your average load need day-to-day, but you also have the ability to expand your traffic support 10x or 100x or whatever when needed, and only pay for the added load as it occurs.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,134 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

There's zero excuse for outings in this day and age. Makes you wonder why BC Ferries has the server setup they currently have. An organization as large as BCF with as important of a website as BCF should be on robust scalable server infrastructure.

The premise is like so: you pay for your average load need day-to-day, but you also have the ability to expand your traffic support 10x or 100x or whatever when needed, and only pay for the added load as it occurs.

Exactly.  And it's not like the entirety of the site needs this kind of scalability.  Just the main SAILING INFORMATION pages.

#5 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

A simple page such as service status or sailing waits could easily be hosted on the likes of Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure. Instant scalability. It looks like the BC Ferries website runs on Marqui CMS which I do not know anything about, which might or might not account for stability issues.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 48,134 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

A simple page such as service status or sailing waits could easily be hosted on the likes of Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure. Instant scalability. It looks like the BC Ferries website runs on Marqui CMS which I do not know anything about, which might or might not account for stability issues.

Nor do I, but I do know that somehow one page can be mirrored on another, more robust system.

For me, I just found it loaded slowly, but they did load.

#7 lanforod

lanforod
  • 5,316 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

AllSeeingEye likely knows more about their setup, I think he's done some work for them, though maybe not in WebOps/WebDev.

Made it back over this morning after staying an extra night. Shrug. Cost me an extra 7 bucks and some vacation time. Oh well.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 14,679 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

Go to BC Ferries Twitter site for the best up to the second news.

Why do we need another BC Ferries site anyways?

We have this already;  https://vibrantvicto...erries/page-191

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 16,986 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

Or you know, you could just check their twitter :) 

Don't worry, the NDP, the Government for Everybody, will get this fixed up quick.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:22 PM

My mistake, I didn't notice that all the jibber-jabber was already happening yesterday in the Infrastructure thread. Sorry if I caused anyone any unnecessary reading. Try and forget...see if that's works... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users