Housing the homeless, a simple, inexpensive plan

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

I have a very simple plan for housing the homeless.  I'll outline it here over the next few days.  I've been trying to think of the way to make the most secure, private housing units, at the least expense, and I think I have it.

Now, bear in mind, these are VERY basic units.  Each unit has a toilet/sink combination, a bed/cot, a chair and desktop, some shelving and a small TV (basic cable).

Each unit has a locking door, but they do not have a ceiling - and I'll explain why soon.

• Matt R. and A Girl is No one like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:29 PM

I have a very simple plan for housing the homeless.  I'll outline it here over the next few days.  I've been trying to think of the way to make the most secure, private housing units, at the least expense, and I think I have it.

Now, bear in mind, these are VERY basic units.  Each unit has a toilet/sink combination, a bed/cot, a chair and desktop, some shelving and a small TV (basic cable).

Each unit has a locking door, but they do not have a ceiling - and I'll explain why soon.

Get rid of the TV. Give them an android tablet and wifi instead. It's 2017 after all.

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:10 AM

Get rid of the TV. Give them an android tablet and wifi instead. It's 2017 after all.

Why let them suffer through Android?  At least step it up to an iPad. 

I want to know why the cells don't have ceilings.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:23 AM

I have read somewhere not sure where that even with housing it's not always used .
The street culture is entrenched in the lifestyle.
Sometimes they choose to till sleep on the on the street .
There binding and doing drugs hanging out .
Sometimes they sublet for easy money .
I hope your housing addresses these behaviours .
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:00 AM

SOON? 

Not very secure and private without a ceiling. Perhaps you meant "sealing"

Anyways you can't keep folks waiting for this must have "simple plan"...hey wait perhaps the word "simple" describes the architect of this plan.

:wave:

#6 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:20 AM

Less expensive is not good business for the Homeless charities/organizations(Kool Aid Society etc).

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:47 AM

We are not "giving" them anything though.  There is free wifi, but they will have to acquire their own device.  These units come with lots of rules, and no residential tenancy agreement.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:49 AM

I want to know why the cells don't have ceilings.

You will see that when I produce plans.  But the short of it is, they will be installed in existing buildings that have fire safety, ventilation already above.  So say like a school gymnasium.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 November 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

I have read somewhere not sure where that even with housing it's not always used .
The street culture is entrenched in the lifestyle.
Sometimes they choose to till sleep on the on the street .
There binding and doing drugs hanging out .
Sometimes they sublet for easy money .
I hope your housing addresses these behaviours .

It does.  And it also separates the truly homeless/desparate from the freeloaders or those that like the outdoor party life.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:53 AM

SOON? 

Not very secure and private without a ceiling. Perhaps you meant "sealing"

Anyways you can't keep folks waiting for this must have "simple plan"...hey wait perhaps the word "simple" describes the architect of this plan.

:wave:

It's secure in that it has a front door with a pass-key/card, cinder block walls 3 or 4 of your walls, at least 10' tall.  Yes, you might be able to climb in from an adjacent unit if you really tried, but the security cameras will catch absolutely all activity above wall level.    

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 November 2017 - 07:54 AM.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:54 AM

Less expensive is not good business for the Homeless charities/organizations(Kool Aid Society etc).

It gets us the point of zero homeless right away.  It's a great step up from cots or floor mats, as it gives much more privacy, and security of belongings 24/7. 

Yes, then we can start to hear all the other excuses why this housing is "not the right fit" etc. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 November 2017 - 07:55 AM.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

screenshot-cloud.smartdraw.com-2017-11-19-08-25-29-564.png

Now, this is a bit of a start on the overall room floor plan.  It's not yet to scale, but gives you an idea.

You can see the individual units with their own door.  They are about 8-10' deep from the doorway to the back wall, and I'm not sure yet how wide.

All the solid walls here are cinder-block.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 November 2017 - 08:30 AM.

#13 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:37 AM

Perfect for filling empty mall and big box locations. Pop one into the Sears at Hillside and solve homelessness for good?
  • sebberry likes this

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:50 AM

And I know it looks a bit like a jail.  It's intended to be that sparse.  But efficient.  

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:12 AM

And I know it looks a bit like a jail...  

A bit?

• sebberry likes this

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

screenshot-cloud.smartdraw.com-2017-11-19-09-25-32-986 (1).png

OK, so again, not to scale but this is the typical room set-up.  The bed is on the left as you enter.  Behind the door are some hooks where you can stack clothes hangers.  

The combo toilet/sink is like you see at a jail, very durable, and only has to be plumbed from the back wall (and floor drain).

There is one chair, it can be moved about the room.  For desk use or around to watch TV.

There is one electric outlet, near the desk.  You may have a lamp for the desk, plus in a shaver, phone charger etc.  The TV has a clock and alarm. 

No additional lighting, it's all provided by the overhead lighting in the existing room, and it's dimmed a bit at 10pm, up again at 7am.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 November 2017 - 09:41 AM.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:35 AM

A bit?

Efficiency and security of residents from one another.

#18 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

Ok, that's basically what they get now except they have a full bathroom and the rooms are a little bigger.  I have drawings for Mt Edwards and Tally Ho, just no idea how to post them

#19 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

The second part of the plan is VHF running for mayor so he can ensure people either use the facility, or find other housing.  No street living anymore!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

Ok, that's basically what they get now except they have a full bathroom and the rooms are a little bigger.  I have drawings for Mt Edwards and Tally Ho, just no idea how to post them

Oh, but mine comes with LOTS of extra rules.  For example, zero guests in the building or your room.  It's not a social centre, it's a place to get you out of the cold weather.  It's a free roof over your head, plus just a bit more.  It's not your permanent home, either.  

My rules will be coming soon.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 November 2017 - 09:46 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users