Herald St. / Government crosswalk

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

This subject was recently raised by Sidewalking Victoria.

https://www.sidewalk...ld-street-story

The idea of a crosswalk here is not a new idea, it is not even a new idea for me. I raised it originally on Vibrant Victoria in 2011, during the construction of 601 Herald. I have also raised it with the City proper numerous times and each time have been provided assurances that it is coming soon. Here are we are though with the Cityzen (formally Kunju) project almost complete and still no easy way to move along Herald Street. 

Is there anyone that does not agree that a crosswalk is needed here?

Every few months we have hundreds more people living at the Hudson District.  And they want to walk down to lower Herald.

What can we do, everyone?  Let's get a letter together.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 November 2017 - 10:02 AM.

• Nparker and thundergun like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:19 AM

What does the DRA say on this, anybody know?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 November 2017 - 10:19 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

This is #3 on the "needs a crosswalk" list for the city.

Top-10 ranked crosswalk upgrades/installations (listed in order of priority, as of May 2017):

1. Government 700 mid-block $70,000 Future Bike Network

2. Belleville/Menzies $60,000 Future Bike Network

3. Government/Herald $200,000 Future Bike Network

Future bike network means they intend on doing it as part of complete streets/bicycle infrastructure related improvements.  Government Street (Pandora to Bay) is currently down for a redesign in 2020.

• Jackerbie likes this

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

This subject was recently raised by Sidewalking Victoria.

https://www.sidewalk...ld-street-story

Is there anyone that does not agree that a crosswalk is needed here?

Every few months we have hundreds more people living at the Hudson District.  And they want to walk down to lower Herald.

What can we do, everyone?  Let's get a letter together.

I say yes and move it to #1 on the priority list.

Sidewalking is an excellent source of information.

#5 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:33 PM

This is #3 on the "needs a crosswalk" list for the city.

Top-10 ranked crosswalk upgrades/installations (listed in order of priority, as of May 2017):

1. Government 700 mid-block $70,000 Future Bike Network

2. Belleville/Menzies $60,000 Future Bike Network

3. Government/Herald $200,000 Future Bike Network

Future bike network means they intend on doing it as part of complete streets/bicycle infrastructure related improvements.  Government Street (Pandora to Bay) is currently down for a redesign in 2020.

Isn't the 700 block of Government in front of the Empress, where there is an existing marked crossing? I guess the $70,000 is to install flashing lights. Hardly seems like it should be the #1 priority

• Nparker likes this

#6 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

^ Belleville and Menzies also has existing crosswalks, they're just uncontrolled and a complete free-for-all

#7 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

How on earth does a crosswalk cost $200,000.00?

I get that there are lights, paint, etc ... but almost a quarter of a million dollars?

Insane.

#8 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

I get that there are lights, paint, etc ... but almost a quarter of a million dollars?

Insane.

I imagine that the Government/Herald intersection will become fully signalized as part of the street upgrades. A traffic signal is about $150,000

Edited by Jackerbie, 21 November 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

In the meantime can someone just do an old fashioned paint one?
  • Nparker likes this

#10 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

In the meantime can someone just do an old fashioned paint one?

It may be worth reaching out to the Greater Victoria Placemaking Network. They were able to convince the City to do a temporary demonstration crosswalk at Cook and Dallas, so something permanent at Herald and Government may be something they would be interested in championing.

#11 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

Insane.

This City of Victoria staff report gives a good break down of all the costs related to the different types of crosswalks. $200,000 would put it in the pedestrian controlled traffic signal category.

http://www.victoria....ion Process.pdf

• Jackerbie likes this

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

We do not need a pedestrian controlled signal. Just an old fashioned crosswalk like we have at both Chatham and Fisgard. I just inspected it. On the south side it does not even require sidewalk/curb modifications.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 November 2017 - 03:37 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#13 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

We do not need a pedestrian controlled signal. Just an old fashioned crosswalk like we have at both Chatham and Fisgard. I just inspected it. On the south side it does not even require sidewalk/curb modifications.

Huh? Both of those intersections are controlled.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

Huh? Both of those intersections are controlled.

Oh, sorry, I mean we do not need to have a traffic light.  Just some paint on the road.  Then you know, you cross when the cars stop.  Problem is now that no car driver knows they are required to stop when you are standing there trying to cross.  They need a reminder crosswalk.

#15 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:56 PM

Ah gotchya. But the issue with that is just the sheer width of Government Street at that intersection. A full four lanes of through traffic, plus a bike lane and parking lane in each direction.

You would need to bump out the sidewalk to the through traffic lanes, similar to what's in place at Government & Pembroke. It would be helpful for cars too. When you've got a lane of cars blocking your view trying to turn onto Government from Herald, it can be tough.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#16 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

Have a look at NACTO global street design guide page 84. There is likely something similar in the TAC but that’s not publicly free.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#17 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

Isn't the 700 block of Government in front of the Empress, where there is an existing marked crossing? I guess the $70,000 is to install flashing lights. Hardly seems like it should be the #1 priority

Gotta protect those tourist on their way to tea!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#18 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:22 PM

I was rear-ended at this crosswalk many years ago when I stopped to let people cross in the rain. My car just had a minor scrape but the offender punctured their radiator.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

I am on board and I know Councillor Loveday is aware.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

There.

g&h.JPG

All done.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users