Photo

Herald St. / Government crosswalk

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

It absolutely is as simple as two guys and a bucket of paint, (and a cheque for $1500.00 of the taxpayers dollars) ... unless you work for the City of Victoria or any other municipality in Canada, and then apparently you require access to $200,000.00.  :thumbsup:

Had to fix that also, so it's not so oblivious to the reality of municipal roadwork. Hate on the CoV all you want, but this figure is no different than anywhere else for what's being proposed.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#82 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

Had to fix that also, so it's not so oblivious to the reality of municipal roadwork. Hate on the CoV all you want, but this figure is no different than anywhere else for what's being proposed. But then I don't really know what I'm talking about, and am kind of a City of Victoria toady, so ignore everything I post.

Don't really think this kind of re-edit is ever funny, but you seemed to enjoy it, so I thought I'd give it a try.

#83 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

You can always tell a lot about someone who has to resort to a personal attack to make their point. Thanks for the insight, Cassidy.
  • Matt R. and sdwright.vic like this

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

Oh man, driving about tonight in that crazy rain I'm going to switch gears and say the single biggest threat to safety in this city is the horrid paint used on our roads. It's literally invisible!

• rjag, lanforod, shoeflack and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

I don't know if you've ever worked with xylene based traffic paint, but it dries in under half an hour,

Xylene based? I thought xylene was a thinner.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#86 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:42 PM

Oh man, driving about tonight in that crazy rain I'm going to switch gears and say the single biggest threat to safety in this city is the horrid paint used on our roads. It's literally invisible!

Before they added the reflectors to Douglas between Hillside and Bay, that stretch was basically a guessing game whether or not you were in a lane. Driving in the rain is not fun in this town.

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:47 PM

So what's the issue, and why hasn't it been addressed?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:56 PM

Obviously whether it costs a lot or a little at everyone seems to agree that a crossing here is needed. The change that this crosswalk will bring will be very powerful from a urban movement perspective and likely have a tremendous impact on how the northwest portion of downtown develops.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#89 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

You can always tell a lot about someone who has to resort to a personal attack to make their point. Thanks for the insight, Cassidy.

You don't know anything about me, and have no idea why I post, who I am, or what I represent.

But you do know how to throw down with those really funny re-edits of other folks posts ... and then get teary when you're called out on it.

But I'm sure you'll be fine, just fine.

Suggestion - next time around, make your point with your own words, - don't re-edit my words and re-post as if it was me posting, that's Redit and Usenet humour. Maybe 20 years ago it was seen as funny or clever ... but it's neither in 2017.

In case you can't tell - it pisses me off.

Don't alt my posts bro!

Edited by Cassidy, 22 November 2017 - 08:23 PM.

#90 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

Okay now you two. Please be nice.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#91 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:00 AM

This has been brought up many times. There are a lot of streets that need reflectors added. The kind of rain and dusky/dark weather we get these days, I'm not sure there is much even a fluorescent paint would do. Reflectors are the answer. This isn't just a COV problem. Try Blanshard by Uptown, it's just as bad.

#92 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

If one were to get into some sort of incident with another car during a rain storm, and the police investigation determined that it was because one driver was half way into the other drivers lane ... would the acceptable defense be that the lane markings were impossible for any human being to see? 

I suspect the roadway engineering viewpoint is that reflectors are specifically a highway item, and they start to show up right at Saanich City Hall on the Pat Bay Highway (heading out).

But we've got some pretty "highway like" road systems within the City these days, and I agree that (for example) driving on Blanshard by Mayfair Mall in a heavy rain, with a ton of traffic, at night ... is an exercise in trying to remember where the lanes are from past experience ... because you certainly can't see the markings.

• lanforod likes this

#93 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:19 AM

It's not just a city problem.  On McKenzie under the upcoming Goose overpass, the lines are invisible in the rain.  It's fun times turning left from the TCH and seeing what everyone decides to do given the 2 turning lanes and S curve in the lanes.

#94 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

Road paint issues are not just a CRD or BC issue. It is an issue Canada wide (at least between Ottawa and here on the TCH). The paint is far from reflective and as soon as rain starts, you're blind. Reflectors or in-road lighting would be the best solution.

#95 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

Road paint issues are not just a CRD or BC issue. It is an issue Canada wide (at least between Ottawa and here on the TCH).

The paint is far from reflective and as soon as rain starts, you're blind. Reflectors or in-road lighting would be the best solution.

How about rumble strips between the lanes.?

• Mike K. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users