Photo

Election Reform / Proportional Representation - BC 2018 Referendum

• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

#461 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:19 PM

The amount of mail that is being held up at distribution centres is massive. It's having a lot more than just some effect. As johnny mentioned, Canada Post is straight up requesting that other countries stop sending parcels to Canada because the backlog is so incredible. That backlog is having a major impact on letter mail as well.

Dang, glad I'm keeping all my Christmas shopping local. Thoughts and prayers to everyone waiting on an Amazon package, though.

#462 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

Dang, glad I'm keeping all my Christmas shopping local. Thoughts and prayers to everyone waiting on an Amazon package, though.

Amazon, as far as I know, does not use Canada Post

#463 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 November 2018 - 01:37 PM

Amazon, as far as I know, does not use Canada Post

Yes, they do.

#464 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 01:44 PM

Yes, they do.

I haven't had Canada Post in months. Everything is either Dynamex or UPS. Maybe for non-Prime shipping they do?

I also noticed after the strikes started Indigo started shipping via UPS while before they were always Canada Post.

#465 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:02 PM

Canada Post delivered parcels to our house yesterday (Saturday) from Amazon. We receive parcels from them via all shippers except Fedex, so far.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#466 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

I've had so many problems with Canada post delivering my packages, as well as Dynamex (which is now called T FORCE 1) and is a total joke of a company, that I use the option on Amazon to have my packages delivered directly to the post office, where I go down and pick them up myself. Amazon now gives you that option when you check out your purchase.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 18 November 2018 - 03:19 PM.

• rjag likes this

#467 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 05:49 PM

Dynamex is the worst. Every time we've had a Prime item shipped with them, they say "delivery attempted" without ringing the buzzer at our building's front door, and they have no physical pick-up location. We've had items sent back to Amazon with a "delivery failed" status because they don't call or buzz our unit.
  • N E Body likes this

#468 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 06:19 PM

Dynamex is the worst. Every time we've had a Prime item shipped with them, they say "delivery attempted" without ringing the buzzer at our building's front door, and they have no physical pick-up location. We've had items sent back to Amazon with a "delivery failed" status because they don't call or buzz our unit.

Ditto on that. If the front door of an apartment building is not open when they come then they just leave. When they are able to enter then they just leave packages in the front lobby or, at best, in front of your door without knocking.

I made sure to write Amazon a couple of times to complain about Dynamex... even if it didn't change anything.

• Mattjvd likes this

#469 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:52 PM

Ditto on that. If the front door of an apartment building is not open when they come then they just leave. When they are able to enter then they just leave packages in the front lobby or, at best, in front of your door without knocking.

I made sure to write Amazon a couple of times to complain about Dynamex... even if it didn't change anything.

I had a Dynamex person deliver my package to the wrong person, at the wrong address, and they knew they were doing so because the package was handed physically to the person.  Amazon just ended up sending em another one FREE of charge. And yep even though I requested it not to be sent by Dynamex....it was sent by Dynamex again and the delivery driver almost didn't get it to me. They  are independent contractors that just drive around in their own cars or vans dropping off packages. They have no supervisors, and do as they please. If the guy wants to go home half way through the day to smoke pot and drink beer and watch a football game, then you won't get your package until they come out the next day. Worst service in Canada as far as I am concerned. And if you are lucky enough to get a hold of the driver through the call centre, the driver phones you and tells you that unless you are home when he tells you to be that you won't get your package. They work completely on their own schedule and deliver packages ONLY when they feel like it.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 18 November 2018 - 07:54 PM.

#470 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

I have no idea who usually delivers my Amazon packages. I get about 50-70 a year, and they all show up in a reasonable time frame, with no damage. Not sure why you're all having issues.

#471 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:27 PM

I have no idea who usually delivers my Amazon packages. I get about 50-70 a year, and they all show up in a reasonable time frame, with no damage. Not sure why you're all having issues.

Largely because Amazon completely overhauled their shipping methods and techniques to cut costs. For instance, I generally select "FREE SHIPPING" if my purchase is over $35 bucks (or whatever the magic number is) and it always shipped the very next day. Now if you select Free Shipping you can see they are preparing your order the day you make the purchase, but they won't ship it for 4-5 days. it just sits in limbo because they don't want customers to realize that the Free Shipping option usually ends up being almost as fast as the Express shipping option.  They deliberately delay the shipping of your items now, when they used to ship them right away. That's the first big noticeable change in their shipping practices. Secondly they started to contract all these other independent courier services because they are dirt cheap. But the result is the delivery service is CRAP. All I know is Amazon.ca has gone Way down hill. 

Another odd thing I noticed is that previously anything I purchased from Amazon.ca that was sold by and fulfilled by Amazon.ca always ships either from Ontario, or from Richmond (where they have huge warehouses in both cities)  Now I have noticed that items I order from Amazon.ca are often shipping up from various different locations in the U.S.A.  So something strange is happening.

#472 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:43 PM

Have been ordering like crazy since moving to SSI, always purolator, always in a couple or few days (sometimes overnight) with rare, rare exception, which is when the seller no longer has stock.

Amazon Prime is well worth the money.

Matt.
  • lanforod likes this

#473 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:49 PM

Have been ordering like crazy since moving to SSI, always purolator, always in a couple or few days (sometimes overnight) with rare, rare exception, which is when the seller no longer has stock.

Amazon Prime is well worth the money.

Matt.

I did that FREE month trial with Amazon Prime.....every shipment came LATE, so I discontinued it.

#474 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:01 PM

I did not use Amazon to deliver my referendum ballot.

• lanforod, vortoozo, shoeflack and 3 others like this

#475 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:50 PM

I have a couple of packages from Amazon in limbo currently, one in Richmond and one here, supposedly en route to the post office - as of last Thursday morning, no movement since according to the tracking. Good thing Christmas is a ways away yet, they might yet make it through. But if not, I may need to give out some IOUs on Christmas.

#476 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:16 AM

I have no desire to go to the Amazon as It is unlikely it will EVER have Piranha Proportional Representation.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#477 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:25 AM

I did not use Amazon to deliver my referendum ballot.

I have no desire to go to the Amazon as It is unlikely it will EVER have Piranha Proportional Representation.

Is there something you're trying to say, Bingo? Is the Amazon topic a little off to you...  :lol:

#478 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:02 AM

In other news, Elections BC has the response at 10.6% processed, 21% returned as of this morning.

Parksville-Qualicum becomes the first riding to hit the 20% processed mark. Good on those seniors!

Edited by shoeflack, 19 November 2018 - 10:03 AM.

• rjag, grantpalin and N E Body like this

#479 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:23 PM

Given that Canada Post was on strike in Victoria for some of last week, I'm surprised that that number increased from 18% to 21% over the weekend. Perhaps those were ballots that were dropped off at Service BC/Referendum Service Offices rather than received by mail?

#480 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 01:18 PM

The issues aren’t that bad. We’ve been relatively inscathed as far as the strike is concerned, but parcels obviously notwithstanding in some parts of the country.

I’m still getting all of my mail on time, people are receiving mine, parcels are getting delivered on time, etc.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users