Photo

Election Reform / Proportional Representation - BC 2018 Referendum

• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

#581 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:21 PM

What version are folks voting for? I haven't decided and I've been confused by some Pro-Rep supporters saying none of the above.

I expect the Pro-proportional people voting none of the above would be because they don't feel any of the options is actually a viable proportional representation, but rather some weird concoction hybrid.

I remain a fan of the More Votes than Any Other Person method myself.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#582 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

Even my wife wonders what's wrong with me listening to that station when Craigie is king.

It's not quite that bad. CFAX's "share" of the listenership is about that of Kiss, The Zone and Kool combined.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#583 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:25 PM

refdec5_2.png

Edited by LeoVictoria, 05 December 2018 - 10:28 PM.

#584 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:55 PM

It's not quite that bad. CFAX's "share" of the listenership is about that of Kiss, The Zone and Kool combined.

Not quite. CFAX is around 10% share, versus 12% for those three combined. Kool and The Zone combined would be the more appropriate comparison.

That being said, if you're talking about the more "consumer heavy" demographic of listeners ages 25-54, CFAX is at a mere 4.1%. Only KISS is worse at 3.7% in that demographic. The Q leads that demo at 20.3% for the curious.

So ya, you can really tell where the base of CFAX sits. And why nagel's wife is rippin' on him for giving them a boost.

• nagel likes this

#585 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:02 AM

Oh c’mon, 10 vs 12% is pretty close you nerd. :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#586 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:05 AM

Elections BC is not answering questions put before them via Twitter regarding the “binding” aspect of the referendum. They just reiterate the results are binding on government but they won’t go any further when asked if the results are in fact binding as a courtesy to the electorate but not as a legal obligation. There’s a massive difference between binding and legally binding.

I guess I find it strange that they’re not willing to even set the record straight or link to legislation.

Know it all.

#587 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:25 AM

Not quite. CFAX is around 10% share, versus 12% for those three combined. Kool and The Zone combined would be the more appropriate comparison.

That being said, if you're talking about the more "consumer heavy" demographic of listeners ages 25-54, CFAX is at a mere 4.1%. Only KISS is worse at 3.7% in that demographic. The Q leads that demo at 20.3% for the curious.

So ya, you can really tell where the base of CFAX sits. And why nagel's wife is rippin' on him for giving them a boost.

splitting hairs taking place here.

People listen to multiple sources of media throughout the day depending on what they like. I like Adam Stirling as he runs a good show asking hard questions supported with facts. Does he talk over folks...sometimes. I listen to CKNW at other times and Charles Adler and Rachel Maddow as well (polar opposites but very good presenters)

I also listen to 96.9. 98.5 etc...Every station has certain shows that appeal to certain demographics...variety is good....the one channel I have a hard time with is the CBC its like watching paint dry. I will try and make an effort to listen to Craigie and see what he's like

#588 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:28 AM

explain the difference.  I'm not a lawyer, but putting the word binding in a contract to me is the same as legally binding.  So are you saying if I sign a contract where I am bound by the terms I don't have to worry about it and use it as fish wrap because they didn't say "legally bound"?

• shoeflack likes this

#589 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:51 AM

The government can change the law fairly easily. If it isn't binding in constitutional law, they can just pass another act that reverts the previous one.

IMO anyways... IANAL

Edited by lanforod, 06 December 2018 - 08:51 AM.

#590 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:19 AM

Elections BC is not answering questions put before them via Twitter regarding the “binding” aspect of the referendum. They just reiterate the results are binding on government but they won’t go any further when asked if the results are in fact binding as a courtesy to the electorate but not as a legal obligation. There’s a massive difference between binding and legally binding.

I guess I find it strange that they’re not willing to even set the record straight or link to legislation.

Can you explain that massive difference?

If the referendum passes, an all-party committee will be formed to work out the details, and MLAs then need to vote on that solution. As with any referendum, there exists the possibility that MLAs could vote against the will of the people and not implement a change...that's generally when a constitutional crisis would arise.

The legislation is pretty clear in the requirement for government to work to adopt the results of the referendum. 

#591 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:33 AM

When is the Referendum finalized & results due to be released?

#592 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:38 AM

The legislation is pretty clear in the requirement for government to work to adopt the results of the referendum. 

Because governments never change legislation, amirite?

• rjag likes this

#593 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:42 AM

Because governments never change legislation, amirite?

And I pretty clearly made that point in my post, jonny. If government wants to go against the will of the people, they certainly can. But it doesn't happen very often for a reason.

#594 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:46 AM

*smile*

Sensitive bunch around these parts lately. 

• rjag likes this

#595 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:21 AM

*smile*

Sensitive bunch around these parts lately. 

you forget that you arent allowed to question the Party's position or that of the Dear Leader. You and your family will now be sent for re-education

• jonny likes this

#596 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:48 AM

When is the Referendum finalized & results due to be released?

Expected by Christmas.

https://www.princege...ults-1.23518254

#597 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:10 PM

41% as of this morning. Today's the last day for ballots to be received.

It does appear that the extra week allowed for some stragglers to get in. Believe we were at 39% as of Monday morning.

#598 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:49 PM

As of this morning Elections BC confirms a total of 1,361,000 returned referendum ballots are estimated to be in possession of elections officials, a figure that represents a participation of 41% of the electorate in the referendum on proportional representation.

Thus far 38% of returned ballots have actually been screened.

The seven Capital Region ridings show screened participation results as follows:
- Esquimalt-Metchosin: 43%
- Langford-Juan de Fuca: 39.6%
- Oak Bay-Gordon Head: 50.5%
- Saanich North: 53.2%
- Saanich South: 46.6%
- Victoria-Beacon Hill: 44.4%
- Victoria-Swan Lake: 42.%

Elections BC estimates the results of the referendum will be known by month's end.

Know it all.

#599 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:02 PM

Looks like turnout was above average (which in this case, would be the 38% benchmark) in all capital ridings. Particularly impressive numbers in Oak Bay-Gordon Head & Saanich North.

#600 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:27 PM

Particularly impressive numbers in Oak Bay-Gordon Head & Saanich North.

Two of the three ridings represented by the Green Party (the third, Cowichan Valley, shows 42.8%). Could indicate a very successful engagement campaign by the Greens and therefore high numbers for the pro-PR side in those ridings.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users