Election Reform / Proportional Representation - BC 2018 Referendum

• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

#121 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:55 PM

1) for a single position you can use a ranked ballot but in this case, Lisa Helps won by such a large margin that once the second choices of Bruce McGuigan were counted she most likely would have won.

2) The system we use for local election council elections is about the worse voting system you can come up with.    Changing to wards would create results that are a much better reflection of the public will.   Currently in BC you can either elect councillors at large, by ward, or a mixture of the two.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#122 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:51 PM

How do we go about getting our cities to switch to wards? Could we force that question to be added to an amalgamation question in 2 years perhaps?

#123 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:53 AM

How do we go about getting our cities to switch to wards? Could we force that question to be added to an amalgamation question in 2 years perhaps?

any municipality can do it by passing a bylaw to do that, simple as that.

• lanforod likes this

#124 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

I will be voting to Change our Electoral System. 

It's the ONLY way to move forward in how we run our elections.

• tedward likes this

#125 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,540 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:55 PM

I will be

...oh wait! Canada Post is on strike.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#126 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:52 PM

I'm torn because the question is awful.

FPTP is one voting method in the Plurality voting system.

PR is a voting system, not a voting method.

I agree that FPTP needs to be replaced, but I do not agree that Plurality needs to be replaced. I feel like the question is an illusion of choice and was designed to fail.

• Bernard likes this

#127 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:30 PM

I agree that FPTP needs to be replaced, but I do not agree that Plurality needs to be replaced. I feel like the question is an illusion of choice and was designed to fail.

I believe there are 4 options to choose from on that referendum ballot

#128 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:50 PM

Nope. Question 1: Which system should BC use for provincial elections? FPTP or a proportional representation voting system

Question 2: If BC adopts a PR system, which of the following do you prefer? DMP, MMP, or RUP

It forces you to support FPTP if you don't support PR

#129 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:04 PM

There are three options to chose from for the change and none of them is a proper PR electoral system,

#130 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:07 PM

There are three options to chose from for the change and none of them is a proper PR electoral system,

I'm gonna forget all this stuff long before I need to use the information.

#131 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:50 PM

Nope. Question 1: Which system should BC use for provincial elections? FPTP or a proportional representation voting system

Question 2: If BC adopts a PR system, which of the following do you prefer? DMP, MMP, or RUP

It forces you to support FPTP if you don't support PR

3 Options to chose from

#132 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:03 PM

I’m voting no

#133 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:26 PM

after reading what Miss Helps wrote on her facebook (well voting helps facebook) about how she is so much for it and people should vote for it.. that alone makes me wildly want to vote against it

#134 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:12 AM

It was designed to fail. You vote to approve PR before you even know what structure will be decided. No way it passes.

The NDP only agreed to the referendum to appease the Greens. They never agreed to give the referendum a chance of succeeding. 

All that we are seeing with our current experiment with coalitions is that the smaller party will succumb to keep their hold on power anyways.

#135 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:29 AM

I’m voting no

+1

• rjag likes this

#136 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:11 AM

The FAQ arriving in folks mailboxes makes crystal clear that you're welcome to tick one, two, or three boxes ... and whatever you tick will be counted.

There is no obligation to "complete" what any particular voter might assume to be the entire ballot.

You're also free to toss the ballot in the garbage if you choose not to participate at all.

I'm afraid I don't see any sort of downside to the above options one has in terms of choices.

Personally, I'm not investigating things too deeply ... I'm simply taking a look at what boxes the Liberals are saying not to tick ... and I'm going to tick exactly those boxes and mail my ballot back in.

Edited by Cassidy, 24 October 2018 - 11:18 AM.

#137 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

The FAQ arriving in folks mailboxes makes crystal clear that you're welcome to tick one, two, or three boxes ... and whatever you tick will be counted.

There is no obligation to "complete" what any particular voter might assume to be the entire ballot.

You're also free to toss the ballot in the garbage if you choose not to participate at all.

I'm afraid I don't see any sort of downside to the above options one has in terms of choices.

Personally, I'm not investigating things too deeply ... I'm simply taking a look at what boxes the Liberals are saying not to tick ... and I'm going to tick exactly those boxes and mail my ballot back in.

And thats exactly not the reason to vote in this referendum as you have been sucked into making this a political vote of confidence for one group or another.

You should take the time to listen to Adam Stirling show from this morning. He was an advocate of prop rep and he is making some very good arguments as to why this is a bogus referendum. Basically every single part of prop rep will be decided after the fact and you will have zero say in it.

I hope everyone votes on this, regardless of  which way they lean, but to seriously consider that this is tainted with too much political interference. This should have been independent of politics like the prior 2 where non partisan folks get together and hash it all out and then lay the results out for everyone to see. Its far too rushed and the lack of information is truly uncomfortable when it comes to exercising our most important democratic right

Edited by rjag, 24 October 2018 - 11:36 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,540 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:45 AM

Separate it from politics, hey?

Look who was handing out pro-pr materials in contravention of the City of Victoria's election regulations. When asked to leave, the woman just grabbed a chair from her SUV and sat next to the line-up smiling at passersby and holding the flyers. When asked about independents (rjag, that Bud was for you!) she couldn't put together a convincing answer.

PRO-pr-rep-handing-out-flyers-at-municipal-election.jpg

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#139 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

even if you are voting no, you still can vote for which of three alternatives you would prefer.    In my opinion, all three are flawed but two of them are much worse than what we currently have.   I will be marking Rural Urban for the system and voting No to change

• rjag, Matt R. and lanforod like this

#140 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:07 PM

And thats exactly not the reason to vote in this referendum as you have been sucked into making this a political vote of confidence for one group or another.

I was kidding around ... perhaps I shall return to putting up the smiley face emoji for such antics to avoid confusion.  :)

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users