Pacific House
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 899 Esquimalt Road
Municipality: Esquimalt
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 9
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, townhome)
Sales status: pre-sales
Pacific House is a concrete collection of one, two, and three-bedroom view homes now selling in Esquimalt, BC.... (view full profile)
Learn more about Pacific House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Esquimalt] Pacific House | 12-storeys | Condos, commercial

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#141 nrtphotos

nrtphotos
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 01:44 PM

I certainly hope an engineer has to sign off or inspect the foundation and concrete work, but I have no clue. Again, the rest of it up until this area had looked good - I'm not sure what happened. The holes on the column on the bottom right of the last photo Marko just posted were very large, probably at least a foot into the wall - the photos really don't do it justice. These guys are acting as their own General Contractor, I hope they are going for quality over cost cutting. I will also say that I had seen the site superintendent get in a screaming match with what appeared to be a carpenter a few months ago when I swung past to take a look - shortly after they were advertising for a new superintendent. The Danbrook situation makes me paranoid.. 

#142 nrtphotos

nrtphotos
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 07:07 PM

Hmm.. the consensus I’ve received so far from people in the trade is that those types of deformities are unacceptable in this application and that it should have been redone… Doesn’t appear that Lexi is doing anything besides a quick patch job.

You’d think that the widespread coverage of the issues associated with Danbrook would give developers a bit of a reality check with construction and engineering issues. 

• Matt R. likes this

#143 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 07:33 PM

A patch job is only cosmetic, there is no strength to it. I would call a certified inspector out to have a look, or at least call the city inspector.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#144 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 10:21 PM

A patch job is only cosmetic, there is no strength to it. I would call a certified inspector out to have a look, or at least call the city inspector.

Might be worth sending some high res screenshots to APEG BC to see what they say about it. Better to be safe than condemned. Remember, a professional engineer signed off on both the initial construction of Danbrook and the remediation and look where they are now.

#145 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 May 2023 - 06:54 AM

Might be worth sending some high res screenshots to APEG BC to see what they say about it. Better to be safe than condemned. Remember, a professional engineer signed off on both the initial construction of Danbrook and the remediation and look where they are now.

Wasn't the Danbrook a design issue, not a quality of concrete pours issue?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#146 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2023 - 01:32 PM

The quality of the concrete works is back on track!

20230604_094350_resized.jpg

• aastra and DavidSchell like this

#147 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 11:02 PM

So how exactly did they address the issues shown in some of those earlier pics?

• Nparker likes this

#148 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 June 2023 - 05:37 PM

20230624_193818_resized.jpg

#149 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 July 2023 - 02:44 PM

July 16th

Attached Images

• IMG_1564.JPG
  • IMG_1565.JPG
  • IMG_1566.JPG

• Nparker likes this

#150 nrtphotos

nrtphotos
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 07:40 PM

So how exactly did they address the issues shown in some of those earlier pics?

This is what I saw later on, it does appear that they took it seriously (in some areas) and drilled out the problem areas. Overall I haven’t seen too many more issues like this on the foundation and walls, I check it out on a regular basis. It’s really hard to tell in some areas as it’s reached ground level. They tarped the area off from public eye so I never got a good look at the repairs. I suspect they had some complaints or something or just didn’t want to showcase some poor concrete work. 

A guy I know who is a municipal inspector for a local municipality basically said they can’t do a spot check on these sites, it’s really up to the developer, engineers and architects to sign off on the build and remediation to issues. I think that’s a little absurd but what can you do? 

Attached Images

• IMG_0148.jpeg
  • IMG_0152.jpeg

• Nparker likes this

#151 nrtphotos

nrtphotos
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 07:46 PM

The board is covering up a bit of a rough spot beside what I’m assuming is one of the parking entrances. Again, I think they didn’t want it visible. The crews pouring the concrete have all been what I’m assuming are workers out of Mexico? They all spoke Spanish when I’ve been past. (Not implying anything, I’m sure other developers are using TFW’s too)

Attached Images

• IMG_0403.jpeg
  • IMG_0444.jpeg

#152 nrtphotos

nrtphotos
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 07:51 PM

Also, saw this the other day attached to a sign post across the street. I’d love to know the context of the cellphone incident. Obviously this is an unhappy neighbour and there are always two sides to the story. I just hope that quality is pursued over profits, especially from a new developer. 

Attached Images

• IMG_0225.jpeg

Edited by nrtphotos, 19 July 2023 - 07:52 PM.

#153 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 08:08 PM

Hopefully this makes the above post easier to read.

post-4497-0-42251500-1689825135.jpeg

• nrtphotos likes this

#154 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 19 July 2023 - 08:44 PM

Lots of "red flags" being raised on this development.

Buyer beware!

#155 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 02:37 PM

Moving Along.

Attached Images

• 367635063_1845465432515336_1619045197014983035_n.jpg

#156 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 07:04 PM

The crews pouring the concrete have all been what I’m assuming are workers out of Mexico? They all spoke Spanish when I’ve been past. (Not implying anything, I’m sure other developers are using TFW’s too)

Then why bring it up if you are not implying anything? 

BTW: Mexican Spanish speaking workers were also working on the Hudson project!

#157 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 07:09 PM

Lots of "red flags" being raised on this development.

Buyer beware!

I think all the unites have long been sold, so a little late in saying "Buyer beware".

It appears the only real issue was addressed, so your statement "Lots of red flags" is a it bit dramatic imo.

#158 nrtphotos

nrtphotos
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 02:31 PM

Then why bring it up if you are not implying anything?

BTW: Mexican Spanish speaking workers were also working on the Hudson project!

Give it a break if you’re hinting I’m somehow a racist. It was the first time I’ve seen a local development with an entire crew of TFW’s - a simple observation. I only care about the quality of work, not the background of the crews and developers.
  • Nparker likes this

#159 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:42 PM

I only care about the quality of work, not the background of the crews and developers.

You are knocking the quality of work then throw the Mexico workers in there saying you are not implying anything, which is exactly what you did. 

You didn't need to go there in the context of the post.

Perhaps you can't see it, but you should be aware of it.

Having gay daughters my tolerance for underlaying hate is growing less and less as I age.

#160 nrtphotos

nrtphotos
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 05:39 PM

You are knocking the quality of work then throw the Mexico workers in there saying you are not implying anything, which is exactly what you did. 

You didn't need to go there in the context of the post.

Perhaps you can't see it, but you should be aware of it.

Having gay daughters my tolerance for underlaying hate is growing less and less as I age.

I’m sorry I didn’t put the TFW’s observation in a separate paragraph to avoid triggering your sensitive feelings and upsetting you. I did give you a good opportunity to virtue signal and let us all know you are a holier being - I’m not sure what bringing your daughters sexual preferences into this conversation was trying to accomplish? 

Again, it’s fairly unique to see TFW’s utilized in local developments and is noteworthy in my opinion as we are facing a massive labour crunch. I certainly didn’t state it was a negative, just something I haven’t seen used before in Victoria. 

Pretty sad I even need to defend myself over such an absurd claim. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users