Pacific House
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 899 Esquimalt Road
Municipality: Esquimalt
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 9
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, townhome)
Sales status: pre-sales
Pacific House is a concrete collection of one, two, and three-bedroom view homes now selling in Esquimalt, BC.... (view full profile)
Learn more about Pacific House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Esquimalt] Pacific House | 12-storeys | Condos, commercial

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#1 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

Highrise tower planned for site of Esquimalt's shuttered Super Low Food Market.jpg

An early rendering of the Pacific Vista condominium tower, planned for the site of Esquimalt's now-closed Super Low Food Market on Esquimalt Road at Head Street. The project will span between Esquimalt Road to the north and Wollaston Street to the south along Head Street. 

Highrise tower planned for site of Esquimalt's shuttered Super Low Food Market

https://victoria.cit...ow-food-market/

• RFS and tbcuthbert like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

:thumbsup:

#3 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

Noice. That's a great area prime for redevelopment with Verde, Westbay Quay, and now this all in the area, in addition to the already complete Skyline building.

• Nparker likes this

#4 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

On the plus side, this is creating net new housing and not replacing lower income housing. But I'm really hoping that this is closer entry-level or mid-market than West Bay Quay. Let's revitalize the area without turning it into another Songhees, please, and build a community that houses a vareity of people rather than retired millionaires and vacation homes.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

It’s unlikely to be cheap considering the concrete construction and the views are top notch. I’ll peg it as lower than Encore but higher than Verde.
  • tbcuthbert likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

Looks like a great project, Super Low Food was looking pretty run down. 

Perhaps a wee bit tall for that area though?

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

....Perhaps a wee bit tall for that area though?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: 

No need to start a "fear of heights" argument against this. The NIMBYs are probably already gearing up for that.

#8 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

Across the street, the Cambie is approved for two 10 story towers
  • Mike K. and jonny like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#9 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

I would agree its a little tall for the area at the current time; however, this area is in great need of a revitalization and this would set a good precedent. 

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

I would agree its a little tall for the area at the current time; however, this area is in great need of a revitalization and this would set a good precedent. 

That's the thing; if every new building could only be as tall as the height of the surrounding structures, we'd have very little of anything taller than a SFH house anywhere in the region. We need to build for the future, not the past.

• TheGuerrero likes this

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

There’s a bit of a discussion on this project on the article page. Folks calling for six-storeys: https://victoria.cit...ow-food-market/

Know it all.

#12 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:02 AM

Six storeys is fine for further down closer to the town hall. That commerical area around head st should be tall and dense

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

A stones throw away are two nine-storey towers, and they’re literally in and among the houses, so I can’t see much sympathy from council towards calls for less height. Especially when two 10-storey towers are already approved at the Cambie lot.

Know it all.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

There’s a bit of a discussion on this project on the article page. Folks calling for six-storeys...

What does this even mean?

...I thought Esquimalt was in the process of promoting and attracting quality development, not the sort of "popsicle palaces" we have seen run amuck through Victoria lately...

• aastra likes this

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:50 AM

Yeah, I dunno. Folks just like to complain. No matter that there’s a quality project underway that would fit right in to Victoria or Vancouver or Calgary, it’s just a popsicle in Esquimalt, which is now internationally recognized for its quality development aspirations.
  • Nparker and jonny like this

Know it all.

#16 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

I know things are changing, but if I lived in Esquimalt, I think I would be embarrassed of my city. How is the whole place stuck in 1975? How does that happen?

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

...Esquimalt...is now internationally recognized for its quality development aspirations.

That's probably a bit of an exaggeration at this time, but if Esquimalt sticks with nondescript, 6-storey and under wood-frame residential projects it certainly will never get worldly recognition. The entire length of Esquimalt Road from the CoV border to Admirals Road is prime for significantly more density, even if it does mean those silly garden medians have to be removed.

I look forward to the day when someone proposes redeveloping the "stuck in the 1960's Esquimalt Plaza". Now that will be a signal that E-town's time as come.

#18 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

I know things are changing, but if I lived in Esquimalt, I think I would be embarrassed of my city. How is the whole place stuck in 1975? How does that happen?

A combination of department of national defense, native reserves, and low real estate values. But that is definitely changing and many of the areas in between are great (old esquimalt, marina, saxe point, swallows landing). Plus the vic pd in esquimalt actually enforce the law so its safe and comfy. Also plastic bags
  • jonny likes this

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

Esquimalt never boomed in 2003-2008, and never lost in 2009-2012. So they came out unscathed without giant pits and bungled projects (think Colwood), but where they’ve really felt the pain is with many projects receiving approvals and never proceeding even in this market. That’s all changing now with Westbay Quay, Verde Green, the new liquor store, the Red Barn Market, English Inn, Town Centre*, etc.

*My understanding is that the Town Centre development is delayed due to BC Justice Institute pulling out as the anchored office tenant, and the lack of construction workers. But it is going ahead.

That's probably a bit of an exaggeration at this time, but if Esquimalt sticks with nondescript, 6-storey and under wood-frame residential projects it certainly will never get worldly recognition. The entire length of Esquimalt Road from the CoV border to Admirals Road is prime for significantly more density, even if it does mean those silly garden medians have to be removed.

I look forward to the day when someone proposes redeveloping the "stuck in the 1960's Esquimalt Plaza". Now that will be a signal that E-town's time as come.

I was kidding ;)
  • Nparker and jonny like this

Know it all.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

...I thought Esquimalt was in the process of promoting and attracting quality development, not the sort of "popsicle palaces" we have seen...

Yet again I beat my poor dead horse re: Victorians really need to make an effort to define their terms.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users