Photo

Urban noise, smells - sirens etc.

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#441 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

Ah, the Bayview seagull squawker. An annoying 10 seconds of every minute, 24 hours a day.

The noise bylaws are structured around decibel level rather than annoyance factor. You'd think that politely asking your neighbors to stop would work, but not the case here.

#442 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:29 AM

No shotgun available?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#443 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

I contacted the Central Care Sharpshooting club, but all their members are currently unavailable.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Daveyboy and 1 other like this

#444 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

So going to need a hawk & dog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgL1x8ivEtY

#445 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

All kidding aside, imagine you had a neighbor who decided to deter car theft by rigging the car in their driveway to turn the radio on somewhat loud for 10 seconds of every minute. For someone who walks by, or the neighbor that doesn't open their windows it isn't a problem. If you happen to like your windows open, or if your open windows happen to be right next to the neighbor's driveway, then it is a problem even if the volume is officially within limits.

So far I have:

Contacted bylaw enforcement (but the decibel level is not too high measured from a distance)
Contacted a Victoria city council member about changing the noise bylaw to prohibit audible bird scaring devices
Contacted the building manager (multiple times)
Wrote a letter to the Bayview strata council (which I assume was intercepted by building manager)
Contacted Ken Mariash of Bayview Properties. Even though he owns one of the penthouses and continually makes the pitch about wanting Bayview Place to be a neighborhood/community, he just offered platitudes and referred me to the building manager.
Suggested to the building manager that they reduce the frequency of the noise to once every 10 or 15 minutes rather than 10 seconds every minute, day and night. I'm not suggesting they even remove the squawker, just that the be somewhat sane in its use.

Most people are somewhat reasonable, but when you're stuck next to a whacky neighbor you know how painful it can be.

#446 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

Is it not bothering any neighbours or residents of the building it's installed on?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#447 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

The younger/good hearing you are/have the more likely you are to hear the noise, your neighbors hearing is probably so degraded that they can't hear it so they assume nobody can hear it. These devices should be banned (if not already).

I understand the kids in school trick their usually older teachers in class by using frequency ringtones that only children can usually hear.

I know one relative who's watch beeps continuously but doesn't bother to fix it or turn it off because they can't hear it….

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#448 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

Sound travels up. Generally, if you're below the level of the Bayview roofline you can't hear it.

It can be heard distinctly at ground level near the official front of the building that faces Shutters. As I said in the previous post, it depends on your circumstances. If you walk by you would't think much of it.

Workers on the roof, such as window cleaners, turn the thing off because it is too loud and annoying. After they were done a couple of months ago they turned it back on, but the cycle seemed to be 9PM to 5AM at night so I don't think they set it properly. I beleive the maintenance guy eventually discovered the error, leading to the current circumstance of full and constant squawk.

I've pointed out that running the device at that frequency is just going to get the gulls habituated to the sound. I've also pointed out that most newer buildings downtown use mirror flashers which seem to be very effective.

#449 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

......... The younger/good hearing you are/have the more likely you are to hear the noise, your neighbors hearing is probably so degraded that they can't hear it so they assume nobody can hear it. .............

Come to think of it I used to hear them a lot but now in past year or so hardly at all.

Try sticking the q-tip just a little further.

Edited by todd, 29 July 2017 - 12:06 PM.

#450 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

The older seagulls also suffer from hearing loss.

Attached Images

• IMG_20170729_165348.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#451 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

Why would there be a need to run it all night. Other than owls and bats most birds aren't flying around after dark.

I would approach them on a dawn to dusk limitation and see how that works.

• HB likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#452 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

Why would there be a need to run it all night. Other than owls and bats most birds aren't flying around after dark.

Wouldn't they still be sleeping on the roof then?

#453 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

That fire hose nozzle outlets ??

#454 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

How about the common anti-seagull spikes? Guessing the cost is the issue.

wp9cdc8691_05_06.jpg

#455 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

After the last several rounds of complaining they did turn down the volume and stop it from running at night. Unfortunately, someone arbitrarily decides to change both the volume and frequency settings on a whim.

As for "approaching them", the building manager typically doesn't bother to respond to emails, certainly not in a timely fashion.

The "at night" part doesn't cover weekends, or the fact that I'm home during the day.

In a previous post I mentioned that I had suggested multiple times changing the frequency of the squawking to once every 10 minutes or so. It has never happened. Part of the frustration is seemingly complete lack of reasonable, neighborly behaviour.

#456 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

The office building on the northeast corner of Johnson and Blanshard has netting across the roof to keep seagulls out. Jonny, if you're reading this, can you snap a photo from your building?
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#457 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:06 PM

Coyote Urine - predatorpee.com says it works on birds.

#458 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

After the last several rounds of complaining they did turn down the volume and stop it from running at night. Unfortunately, someone arbitrarily decides to change both the volume and frequency settings on a whim.

As for "approaching them", the building manager typically doesn't bother to respond to emails, certainly not in a timely fashion.

The "at night" part doesn't cover weekends, or the fact that I'm home during the day.

In a previous post I mentioned that I had suggested multiple times changing the frequency of the squawking to once every 10 minutes or so. It has never happened. Part of the frustration is seemingly complete lack of reasonable, neighborly behaviour.

Well you need to talk to HB then. He will get you access to the roof and you can change the settings to something preferable.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#459 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:04 PM

^ lol

#460 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

Update on the Bayview seagull squawker

There have been workers on the roof for the past ten days. They turn the squawker off because it is that loud and annoying. The bad news is that the work is repainting, so after the workers are gone it will probably come back on.

Sent a letter to the Bayview council asking them to turn it off and find a better solution. After more than a week no reply at all.

There is a new squawker, guessing on the Regency since they just completed their outside remodel. This one is easily heard on the water side of the Delta and the totem pole since sound carries well across the water. Again, the frequency is about once a minute.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users