Photo

Urban noise, smells - sirens etc.

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#541 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:25 PM

Turning to smells now, anyone else getting a strong sulphur odour emanating from the ocean lately? Rumours of an algae bloom or the like? Very noticeable here in Sidney.

#542 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:19 PM

Oh, is that what it is? I smelled it in places that don’t normally have a rotting seaweed-like smell in the summers. One spot that’s notorious for it is the area at the foot of Robert Street in Vic West and the bay to the west/north.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#543 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:37 PM

I think we've had some fairly low tides lately exposing more of the stinky things than usual.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#544 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:40 PM

I think we've had some fairly low tides lately exposing more of the stinky things than usual.

yes early this week they were unusally low in the mid-morning.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 July 2020 - 05:40 PM.

#545 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:42 PM

Funny I just noticed the stink in Ganges this afternoon. Weird.

Matt.
  • todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#546 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 07:46 AM

Here is another rooftop noise issue.

"Victoria neighbours call for an end to ‘high-pitched hum’ from Summit building – Victoria News" https://www.vicnews....ummit-building/

Engineers are not the best for making human comfort decisions. When Calgary put the LRT line up Tenth Street an engineer was wondering if they could get the line past an apartment building. The solution was to cut the balconies off the building.

Bayview One condo has a similar problem with a dying chiller. During the summer when the air conditioning came on there would be a constant loud screeching when one of two alternating units came on. The problem with rooftop noise is that the offenders might not even hear the noise since their rooftop shields them. If the noise was at street level is would be a big problem. Bayview's window washers usually turn the rooftop squawker of while they work.

Note that Victoria has a daytime decibel governed bylaw, but at night the only requirement is that people are annoyed. If the residents pressed bylaw a bit harder they should be able to get the noise turned off at night. I couldn't find contact info for the people on the article. I completely understand their pain and frustration.

#547 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 08:30 AM

That would drive me crazy. I have the same reaction to the pitch of leaf-blowers, which we hear every working day of the year, all twelve months. 

#548 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 11:45 AM

Leaf blowers are nasty. I had a neighbour that would spend an hour every morning leaf blowing and lawn edging.

The Encore building in Songhees uses an all electric lawn care company. The electric leaf blowers are much quieter.

#549 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 01:02 PM

Leaf blowers are nasty. I had a neighbour that would spend an hour every morning leaf blowing and lawn edging.

The Encore building in Songhees uses an all electric lawn care company. The electric leaf blowers are much quieter.

“Leaf blower, small motor and power tool discussion”: https://vibrantvicto...ussion/?hl=leaf (account members only)

Edited by todd, 13 December 2020 - 01:05 PM.

#550 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:40 PM

“Industrial parking lot on First Nations land rattles North Saanich residents“

“..The incident started with owner Aaron Cole starting up one of his trucks just before 7 a.m. The engine noise rattled Pam into action. “I said to Bruce, ‘I’m going up there. I am going to stand in my white nightgown and my pink umbrella and I am just going to stand there on the side of the road and let him see me,’” she said.

Bruce later joined his wife and Sidney/North Saanich RCMP were called...”:

https://www.oakbayne...nich-residents/

#551 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:54 PM

That story really resonated with me. I've been looking at buying property on the peninsula. Lots of things to consider (as with any property purchase). I was already aware of the issue of buying next or near to First Nations land. There are I think 6 chunks of First Nations land on the peninsula. And they control what happens on their land, not the municipality that surrounds their land. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users