Photo

Urban noise, smells - sirens etc.

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#81 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

Funny bout this whole discussion, from my crane I can see 2 firehalls, 1 ambulance station and multiple old age homes. And I see both fire and ambulance vehicles roaring by on a daily basis with no vehicles around full EV functions going...I was just watching an Ambulance speeding down the Quadra hill, lights and sirens going full tilt, without a car in site...and then a fire truck roaring down Fairfield from Blanshard, lights and sirens and no vehicles in site?!...excessive I tend to agree, while at the same time Mat does raise some very distinctive points. I think maturity tends to be a large factor in the usage of EV functions.

I agree.

What I also don't understand is why so many vehicles respond to emergency calls: fire trucks and ambulance and police. This happens in the US, too (it's almost worse, since you get different ambulance companies responding, hoping to get there first...), but not in Europe. Is it because we send paramedics only, vs. actual doctors? Or because dispatchers get patchy information and don't know who to send? Whatever it is, you don't see firetrucks rushing to a medical emergency in Europe, but you do see it here, and it all adds to both the noise and the potential for another accident.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#82 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:00 PM

Just to respond to the points made by others of EV's running with lights and sirens when there is no apparent traffic. It really does not matter if the road ahead is clear - at any point cars, cyclists or pedestrians can appear from a side street, driveway or parking lot. Road users tend to respond to sound, and even if the direction of a siren is uncertain, the awareness is there.

Under the emergency vehicle response rules - any EV under a 'code 3' response must use all available visual and sound aids while in motion. The only exception are police responding to an active silent alarm, or possible 'armed suspect - potential hostage situation'

#83 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

Just to respond to the points made by others of EV's running with lights and sirens when there is no apparent traffic. It really does not matter if the road ahead is clear - at any point cars, cyclists or pedestrians can appear from a side street, driveway or parking lot. Road users tend to respond to sound, and even if the direction of a siren is uncertain, the awareness is there.

Under the emergency vehicle response rules - any EV under a 'code 3' response must use all available visual and sound aids while in motion. The only exception are police responding to an active silent alarm, or possible 'armed suspect - potential hostage situation'

As for responding to a code 3 call, the I'm assume 90% of all calls are code 3? are you telling me (and no offense to anyone, I've been in the same boat with loved ones)...that 2 ambulances and 3 fire trucks are required to respond to a cardiac arrest or breathing difficulty call at an old age home? yes I saw this the other day, 1 EMS, one ALS, 1 fire rescue, and 2 fire rigs showed up to Rose Manor...all with lights and sirens BLAZING, I had to halt a load because I couldn't hear my rigger over the roar of sirens up Blanshard?! I find that a little excessive...I know for a fact what the call was as I have friends working there...

Further more I see no reason why emergency vehicles can't give short blasts as they drive down a CLEAR road to advise people they are coming, not a continious wail...If you aren't paying attention to the surroundings (i.e. ipod in you're ears, music too loud in you're car backing out of a driveway etc...its you're own damn fault!)

Not to be a complete smartass Mat, and I'm honestly asking this out of curiousity because you obviously know what you are talking about. I was sitting on the TCH on the way home the other day, and I had a BC Ambulance Dodge Durango lights and sirens going screaming up and past me. I pulled off at the Helmcken exit to head into View Royal, and low and behold just in front of me was the Durango pulling into the hospital, can you explain why on earth a supervisor would need to go "code 3" to the hospital!? he obviously had no patients on board. I know in Alberta its much different, they have many 4wheelers that respond intially to calls and assess if a wagon is need etc...but to the untrained eye that just seems like an abuse to an EV?!...

PS...I apologize to all for my use of "site" versus "sight" in my previous post from the crane, I suppose I spend too much time on "site" and forget my english language from time to time! :P

#84 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

I have seen over 5 agencies respond to a call for a gentleman that had fallen at the airport (YVR) and cut his head on a bench.

The commissionaires showed up first(they were right there), then a police car showed up,(did nothing, when did the police stop rendering first aid?), two paramedics on bicycles showed up, then another police car, then a first response fire truck from the airport station, then a fire truck (pumper) from Richmond fire, and finally an ambulance showed up.

All to treat this fella with a cut on his head. Of course then he was transported to Richmond hospital where he would wait on average 4 hours to be seen by a doctor.

We have the best tertiary care in the world but then you get to the hospital and that all changes.

The paramedics and the fire departments are having a turf war that is why they both show up, the firemen say they can get there faster, the paramedics say they can give better care. I would like to see them integrated so that you have a rescue ambulance at the fire hall that would be dispatched and leave the damn pumper and ladder trucks in the bays. Of course if you did that the firemen would have less to do to justify their wages.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#85 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

In the good old days the paramedics and fire department worked together

That was my favourite show. "Beeep Booop Bwhaap! Rampart, Station 51!"

heh
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#86 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

Responding to Guy in the Sky, and the other posts...

Thanks to all for the questions, and comments...and to make it very clear I was a paramedic and rescue cox for the CG, did ambulance in Vancouver and Vic but I left in '91. From what I understand though procedures and communication protocols have not substantially changed.

It really goes down to 911 calls - dispatchers will prioritize based on saving life, and backing up EV units (experience counts here). A rva (road vehicle accident), with injuries, will call out at least one ALS (advanced life support unit), fire for possible in-car rescue, police for traffic and crime, tow trucks (yeah you guys missed that one!), and civic road engineers if there is damage. All units have government mandated time protocols for response - and to arrive safely. Hence the sirens

In the case of medical calls to care homes - yeah, I feel for that. One of the reasons that fire responds as well as ambulance is that most care buildings do not have service elevators that can carry a heavy stretcher, 2-3 paramedics and patient, and equipment. Fire responds for 'hallway and stairway lift'. I have been on calls where we used the fire extension ladder to move 'un-responsive' patients from 3rd floor to ground out the window. Most new (post 1993) care homes are ground floor only, or have large service elevators, but 60% of all CRD care home residents are still in buildings with stairwell only access. (hence - Fire responds - and fast)

I am not up to date on the CREST system - and if that connects all the services and dispatch. One would hope so - but who knows.

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

That was at Fisgard and Douglas, yes?

That sounds right. One was southbound on Douglas, one was leaving the (old) police station and planning on turning right onto Douglas. I think it was a bank break-in false alarm. So he got hit on his side of the vehicle and I know he was in a very poor state at Gorge Rd. hospital for many years, not sure if he eventually passed away.

#88 aastra

aastra
  • 20,731 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:00 AM

I'm trying to remember the last time there was an over-response to something in which I was personally involved. I'm pretty sure it's never happened.

#89 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

Lawyers on behalf of the City have found the View/Vancouver St. Bottle Depot to be "not an appropriate use", meaning it must conform to the zoning or risk being shut down.

I've complained that the Bottle Depot goes against the Harris Green restrictions on light industrial and that the Depot ignores the bylaw created for it.

Expect more news in a few days.

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

^so what's going on with this?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#91 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

Yes me too. The area has suffered greatly since the BD opened here.

#92 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

The Bottle Depot manager called me saying he didn't appreciate me slandering him in the media by saying his depot was non-conforming.

#93 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:11 PM

^ why would telling the truth equate to slandering in his mind?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#94 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:20 PM

He thinks his depot is fully compliant. The City gave him a business license, he's been operating for several years. The rest of the details are best sorted out by lawyers as it's a matter of interpretation.

#95 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:47 AM

puleasse

#96 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:06 AM

Bottle Depot gets the boot
Move should please neighbours
By Bill Cleverley, Times ColonistFebruary 27, 2009 7:02 AM

#97 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:29 AM

^so much for slander:rolleyes:

#98 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

Harris Green zoning allows various types of retail--doctor's offices, restaurants etc.

When the Bottle Depots were authorized, the City created a zoning loophole saying depots were equivalent to retail.

#99 aastra

aastra
  • 20,731 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

I don't know, with all the things the city needs to fix, should giving the boot to the Bottle Depot really be such a high priority?

#100 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

^I think it should be. That area has been spiraling downhill for quite a while now. I think the average Joe/ Jill will notice quite the difference once it's gone.

Don't get me wrong, I think it provides a vital income for the down and out - it just doesn't fit in the neighbourhood.
Call me a NIMBY - I don't care.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users