Vancouver's 2018 mayoral race

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

Any ideas who might be up for the top job here?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

For Vision: Kerry Jang, Raymond Louie, Spencer Chandra-Herbert.

For NPA: Hector Brenner, Elizabeth Ball, Wait Young, Sam Sullivan, Michael Lee

For Greens: Adrianne Carr, Pete Fry

For OneCity: RJ Aquino, David Chudnovsky, Don Davies.

For COPE: I don't know. Libby Davies?

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

FFS.
  • Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

FFS.

I dunno. I think Raymond Louie or Don Davies would be okay mayors. 

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

Maybe we should be enticing some suitable candidates from Vancouver to come to Victoria and run for Mayor.

With the amount of money the COV spends on frills, we could buy the candidate a nice home in James Bay to sweeten the deal.  :)

• mbjj likes this

#6 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

There's a strong rumour that OneCity, not COPE, might be courting Libby Davies. I could see it. COPE looks like it's pretty much dead at this point and it appears that a lot of left-wingers in Vancouver are rallying around the OneCity banner – perhaps that is the replacement slate to Vision?

Michael Lee has a great shot at winning the BCL leadership and he could win. If he doesn't — I suspect Rich Coleman might pull something shady (shocking!) so de Jong can win — he would have earned the cachet to be a serious contender for the NPA's mayoral candidacy. But keep in mind he's a rookie MLA who just got elected less than a year ago, it would be risky and not look good to quit so early just to run for mayor.

Agree that Raymond Louie would be a great mayor, however the Vision brand is tainted and I doubt Louie would want to be left carrying the bag after Gregor and his ilk poked so many holes in it.

Also, hell no to Kerry Jang, we might as well just have Gregor for another 10 years.

Edited by bluefox, 13 January 2018 - 04:03 PM.

• John M. likes this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#7 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

There's a strong rumour that OneCity, not COPE, might be courting Libby Davies. I could see it. COPE looks like it's pretty much dead at this point and it appears that a lot of left-wingers in Vancouver are rallying around the OneCity banner – perhaps that is the replacement slate to Vision?

Michael Lee has a great shot at winning the BCL leadership and he could win. If he doesn't — I suspect Rich Coleman might pull something shady (shocking!) so de Jong can win — he would have earned the cachet to be a serious contender for the NPA's mayoral candidacy. But keep in mind he's a rookie MLA who just got elected less than a year ago, it would be risky and not look good to quit so early just to run for mayor.

Agree that Raymond Louie would be a great mayor, however the Vision brand is tainted and I doubt Louie would want to be left carrying the bag after Gregor and his ilk poked so many holes in it.

Also, hell no to Kerry Jang, we might as well just have Gregor for another 10 years.

OneCity at this point is just to disorganised to run a serious mayoral campaign, I think that running either Libby Davies (ugh) or Raymond Louie as a sort of 'Unity' candidate with the Greens, COPE (Although they don't play nice with everyone else), and possibly Vision would make a lot more sense. OneCity should give it their all to elect Judy Graves or Rj Aquino (Or both) to council to have a foothold before they go running a serious mayoral campaign. 

#8 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

The Greens have some serious upward momentum as of late, I doubt Carr would stand aside in the interests of unity when she has a great shot to win the mayor’s job outright. But I do agree generally the left is going to have to pull it together to some extent to prevent the NPA winning by default (as Bremner just did).

There’s a lot of lingering resentment between the Swanson and Graves camps for splitting the vote and allowing Bremner to win with basically just over 25% of the vote.

Carr placed first by a mile in the council race in 2014, has the cachet and recognition to win, and since then the Greens have probably had the best batting average among the municipal parties, including sweeping the podium in the school board byelection. If anyone can stake a claim to be the unity candidate on the left it’d be her.

Edited by bluefox, 14 January 2018 - 01:27 PM.

• John M. likes this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users