Highway #14 improvements, conditions, incidents and events

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

You know, I'm not even sure #14 needs an upgrade.  Is it dangerous?  Probably only to those wanting to exceed posted speed limits.    And I suppose as populations increase out that way, more and more people have less patience for it.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 January 2018 - 01:04 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

I think a lot of issues come from the fact it is the only way in/out of Sooke. 

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

It still will be after any/all improvements though.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 January 2018 - 01:16 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

I’ve driven it a million times. I used to drive it 4 days a week for work, back in the mid 90’s. I did not really find any issues with it.

Now, I was on company time, and not generally in any big rush most days.  I drove it at the posted limits, slowed where it was indicated I should etc.  When I did that, I found it perfectly safe. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 January 2018 - 01:23 PM.

#5 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

I think a lot of issues come from the fact it is the only way in/out of Sooke. 

you can still go out thru Port Renfrew and out thru Duncan and VHF is correct too

#6 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

I was agreeing with VHF. There's nothing wrong with the road itself it's just the fact there is no other ways going in/out Sooke unless you want to go way out of your way. If you're trying to get to/from Victoria I really doubt going North and back down would be quicker.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

Having said all that, I've created a solution for you.  This new highway is about 4km long.  Now, how we finance this thing, is by opening up development above this arc.  When we install this new bypass, we install new water and sewer mains and electrical and communications infrastructure.

Saseenos Heights is your new model community!  "At home - with nature"

screenshot-www.google.ca-2018-01-16-13-29-22-283.png

Kangaroo is the other detour route, so that's why my new highway starts there.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 January 2018 - 01:51 PM.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

It’s very dangerous at night and especially in the rain when you a) can’t see the yellow line and b) can easily veer into oncoming traffic when travelling at the posted speed.

A car crossed the centre line and nearly struck me the other day on that road. It was in broad daylight and during pretty good driving conditions. That sort of stuff happens when you have a windy, relatively narrow route where speeds are likely to be in the 60-70 range.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

I present to to you Saseenos Heights.  It'll look a bit like the heaviest treed parts of Broadmead.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2018-01-16-13-29-22-283 (1).png

So between the new highway and the housing, is a big linear park, the red hash. 

A park beside the new highway, VHF, what are you on?!   

Well, the park has a earthen berm buffer and landscaping, that's the yellow line on the north edge of the new highway.  All the green is the residential and feeder streets to Saseenos Heights.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 January 2018 - 01:51 PM.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

It’s very dangerous at night and especially in the rain when you a) can’t see the yellow line and b) can easily veer into oncoming traffic when travelling at the posted speed.

A car crossed the centre line and nearly struck me the other day on that road. It was in broad daylight and during pretty good driving conditions. That sort of stuff happens when you have a windy, relatively narrow route where speeds are likely to be in the 60-70 range.

Surely with low-voltage LEDs, we have a simple, effective way to put in lane marker lights these days.

LOOK.

• Mike K. likes this

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

People have been having accidents and getting killed on that road for years and long before cell phones and distracted driving came into play.

The dangerous piece used to be at the end of at a one-lane each way straightaway heading north to the curve to the east at Humpback Road.

I saw the remains of a pole sheared off about 8 feet above the ground. I think 4 people were killed as they failed to make that curve. (early 60's maybe)

That section of road has since been widened to two lanes each way, and they still go too fast along there.

#12 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

Horgan promises steps to improve safety on Sooke Road
http://www.timescolo...road-1.23146488

Calling it a highway that has been neglected for a number of years, Premier John Horgan has confirmed his government will announce preliminary steps this week to improve traffic safety on the road between Langford and Sooke.

Horgan, who represents Langford-Juan de Fuca, said it’s just the start of work on the Highway 14 corridor that’s increasingly busy and overdue for upgrades.

“It’s an area that in my opinion — and I’m biased — has been neglected over the past number of years,” he said.
“It’s the fastest growing part of Vancouver Island and, take Surrey out of the equation, it’s among the fastest growing areas in the province, and transportation infrastructure hasn’t kept pace with that.”
Horgan noted the previous Liberal government ordered a review of the corridor.
“That review came to me some months ago and it was inadequate,” he said. “I asked the ministry to go back and look at it again and, of course, since then we’ve had another fatality on the Highway 14 corridor.

#13 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

Can we get some Hwy 4 improvements while we're at it?

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:43 AM

#4 improvements have been announced.
  • Mattjvd likes this

#15 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:22 AM

We should be doing infrastructure improvements during a recession, not during a construction boom because prices will be sky high now.  Design it now and when we enter a recession, contractors will lower their price to get work on the books, and it keeps people working as well

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#16 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:23 AM

#4 improvements have been announced.

Thanks VHF, that's news to me.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:41 AM

Thanks VHF, that's news to me.

http://vancouversun....way-4-to-tofino

Ucluelet and Tofino mayors are cheering provincial government plans to fix and widen the most notorious stretch of Highway 4, the route to Vancouver Island’s southwest coast.

“These improvements are the best that could be done on that whole particular stretch of highway, from Port Alberni right through to the west coast,” said Tofino mayor Josie Osborne.

“It’s a bad, bad section,” said Ucluelet Mayor Dianne St. Jacques. “It’s a job that really needs to be done.”

Work is set to begin in the spring on a $30-million, two-year project to widen a 1.5-kilometre section of Highway 4 known as Kennedy Hill. It borders Kennedy Lake about 14 kilometres east of where the highway splits to head northwest to Tofino and southeast to Ucluelet.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 January 2018 - 08:48 AM.

• Mattjvd likes this

#18 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

http://vancouversun....way-4-to-tofino

Work is set to begin in the spring on a $30-million, two-year project to widen a 1.5-kilometre section of Highway 4 known as Kennedy Hill.

We almost became at statistic on that corner.  A dually pick up truck came around the corner in our lane, he was completely out of control.  Luckily the husband reacted quickly enough to hug the barrier & we were in a small car.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

^ I dunno, on all these "dangerous roads" it seems the other driver always entered the oncoming lane.  Not sure how that happens so often if people are paying attention to the signage.

#20 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

Kennedy Hill on Highway 4 is a nightmare. Glad they are fixing it. Once all said and done, will the drive time drop at all significantly? That would be a boon for them as well.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users