Photo

FolkFest

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:16 PM

I'm with Baro on this one ... I don't mind paying a small cover charge to eat at Folkfest but there was no way I was going to fork over $7.50. It would make more sense to charge $1 or $2 to get into the site and then an extra $5 to go into the stage area if you want to watch a performance or dance.

#22 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

$20 was definitely too much for the week. So many people go to FolkFest solely to get a langos, and were willing to pay the small entry fee to do so. Once there, they check out the acts, visit the retailers, take in the cooking stage, grab a beer and some food. And of course some of the acts are obviously destinations in themselves.

I think they really missed out on the people who aren't willing to pay $7.50 to get in, but would have spent $20 or more once they were inside. I had a blast, but I was pouring at the wine bar and got a pass. I likely wouldn't have paid $7.50 just to go in for food.

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:55 AM

FolkFest another cultural casualty

Adrian Chamberlain
Times Colonist

Saturday, November 18, 2006

And another one gone, and another one gone

Another one bites the dust.

- Queen (the rock group, not the monarch)

- - -

The funny thing is, a couple of years ago Victoria promoted itself as "the city of festivals." Well, for a city of festivals, we seem to be in pretty short supply.

Remember the Victoria Harbour Festival? Kaput. J.J. Johannesen's Victoria International Festival? Long gone. The Manulife Financial Literary Arts Festival? Dead. Rootsfest? Bereft of life, it rests in peace.

And it appears FolkFest is poised to join the gang. This week the Inter-Cultural Association of Victoria, which hosted it for 35 years, announced the indefinite suspension of our 10-day celebration of multicultural food, culture and music. (Well, not all the music was particularly "multicultural," given the roster included rocker Sam Roberts and rapper k-os.)

The reason for the shutdown: money woes. This year, attendance dropped 35 per cent. This, says ICA brass, has translated into a whopping $200,000 debt on a $900,000 budget. There will be no festival in 2007, and no guarantees for the future.

This is bad.

In my experience, festivals that miss a year are like patients who lapse into coma. Recovery is possible, but the likelihood goes way, way down.

Naysayers will view this as simply another arts venture that has bled to death due to simple economics: demand does not warrant what's supplied. Perhaps that was true of Rootsfest, a rock-'n'-roots festival that began with a bang and died with a whimper three years ago. Rootsfest was a great event that brought exciting music to town, but it never was an organic part of Victoria's cultural fabric. Not like FolkFest.

The irony is that in many ways, this year's FolkFest did tremendously well in terms of audiences. TNT Productions, which produced the festival, says the evening concerts with Sam Roberts, Ozomatli and others mostly sold out. Indeed, this night-time segment of FolkFest set crowd records.

Where it foundered was during the day. A 50 per cent increase in the admission charge ($5 to $7.50) was too much for those office workers or retirees who stroll down for a greasy lango lunch or a gander at craft booths, but couldn't care less about Sam Roberts.

No doubt the ICA figured $7.50 wasn't a big deal -- heck, it costs almost twice that to go to a movie.

But think about it. You pay the higher admission, then buy lunch on top of that. Many decided they might as well go to a real restaurant with tablecloths -- or the food court in the mall. As has been painfully proven, many Victorians balk at paying $7.50 for a FolkFest day trip, especially since ethnic foods are no longer the novelty here they were in 1971.

Even before the latest increase, people complained about gate fees. They remembered when FolkFest was free, or close to it. After 30 years, that notion became ingrained. When the admission jumped, the teeter-totter tipped and legions of langos-lovers looked elsewhere.

The ICA ought to reconsider cancelling FolkFest in 2007. A pared-down event would keep this festival on life support. Let the non-professional multicultural troupes perform once again for free. Invite back the crafters and food booths. And slash the admission to $3 or $4.

Professional evening shows could be either dropped, or produced independently by TNT or another outside company. It makes sense -- to me, this component of FolkFest seems a different animal, with a different audience. Why not charge a separate, higher price for these shows? If the people want it they will come; and it appears there is a demand. If they don't, the daytime FolkFest -- and most importantly the ICA with all its essential multicultural programs -- won't receive another financial belly-blow.

Yes, you say, but where does the money come from? Certainly, the ICA must focus on repaying its creditors. No doubt fundraisers will be staged. But the ICA can't work off its debts and mount a more modest FolkFest all by itself. Now is the time for politicians and others to step forward.

The ICA board made a mistake with its admission increase (so easy to say in hindsight). Yet it would be a shame to let this festival die. If anything deserves a second chance, it's FolkFest.

mailto:achamberlain@tc.canwest.com
© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2006
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 Gregory Hartnell

Gregory Hartnell
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:12 AM

+++

Once again, Mr. Chamberlain goofs up. Giving ICA more public money to mismanage would just encourage them to mismanage more.

ICA should stick with the English language courses, and other practical efforts to integrate new immigrants into the community, as per their original mandate, and get out of the trash culture importation business. I'm referring, of course, to K-os.

+++

#25 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

... and get out of the trash culture importation business. I'm referring, of course, to K-os.

Mr. Hartnell, please explain what you mean by "trash culture" importation. I don't want to jump to any horrible conclusions about what you might be saying.

#26 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:21 PM

Look, music is just music. We are all allowed to have our opinions on it. Dont take it personally if someone trashes a musical act you like. Music isnt sacred, afterall.

But in terms of bringing back Folkfest next year to the stripped-down levels as stated by Adrienne Chamberlain.. this could bring back life to the festival. After all this press about the demise of the festival, I wouldnt be suprized if Victorians were willing to attend the festival at a reduced rate next year, to show their support. All this press might benefit the festival in the long run.

Lets say though that the festival doesnt come back next year.. with the loss of this summer feature, and the multi-million dollar BC Experience, what attractions do we have to attract tourists in this floundering tourist industry? 2007 looks like it might be a sour year for the city unless the city wisens up and begins promoting itself differently to the world.

#27 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:25 PM

+++

ICA should stick with the English language courses, and other practical efforts to integrate new immigrants into the community, as per their original mandate...

+++

Has anyone bothered to read the ICA's mandate?

From the website:

The Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria
is a non-profit society that:

Encourages sensitivity, appreciation and respect for individuals of all cultures in our changing community

Assists newcomers to settle in the Greater Victoria area and facilitates their inclusion and full participation in the community

Advocates for the human rights of people of all cultures

Animates cultural awareness by promoting public multicultural events within Greater Victoria

Part of the ICA's mission is to promote cultural awareness by promoting multicultural events. Whether or not FolkFest in its current form filled that mandate is up for debate, but I for one do not think the ICA should get out of the business of bringing in multicultural entertainment acts. Teaching newcomers English and helping them adjust to life in Canada is important, but teaching residents about other cultures that are present within our own community is equally so. Otherwise, we end up with the melting pot vs the mosaic.

#28 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

If they even just kept the Langos.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

Folkfest is an institution in this city, it needs to be here.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#30 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:42 AM

Folkfest was good at Centnial square. It was like a Down Town food court. Perhaps they should keep the kiosks there all year long for just that reason.
Or a permanent cultural village could be built at the Rock Bay site with a native longhouse as the central attraction.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:51 AM

I think that the city needs to reverse its rules on kiosks. Why not license a few in specific spots not necessarily all in the tourist district or outside nightclubs. Three in Centennial would be great. Also perhaps a couple in the Design District and perhaps a couple in Harris Green. One thing I do not like about FolkFest in Centennial is that it really destroys the square and its look with that giant stage and forces pedestrians down little wooden corridors.

It has a whole new look!

#32 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:23 AM

If they even just kept the Langos.

I thought I saw a Langos booth set up *outside* of the FF boundaries last year on the causeway or something. I remember thinking how smart they were for doing that. Anyone else see that?

#33 <avril>

<avril>
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

I've never been to the Folkfest, but I want to go eventually, is it good :?:

#34 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:00 PM

Folkfest IS Langos, Hungary (or more the point, Hungry) represent!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#35 <avril>

<avril>
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:14 PM

what did you say?

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:19 PM

Folkfest went big-time, and paid a price in their losses. Why not just stay cosy like they used to be?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#37 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:53 PM

I was a volunteer at FolkFest for many years. At the beginning of those years of involvements, it was a great little festival, wonderful food and the best place to meet new friends. I loved it.

Over the years it changed into an all around music festival and lost it's vision; "celebrating our cultural diversity". These past couple of years I lost interest and even avoided it all together this past summer.

FolkFest needs to return to it's roots and avoid the large name artists (and do without TNT Production), become a FAMILY event it once was without the beer garden and promote our ethnics/culcural uniqueness.

Doc Sage

#38 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:02 PM

No keep the beer garden please!!!!!

It has a whole new look!

#39 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:27 PM

No keep the beer garden please!!!!!

Maybe they should drop the age restriction and make it a FAMILY beer garden.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

[quote name='Walter Moar'][quote name='"G-Man":0ba79']No keep the beer garden please!!!!![/quote]
Maybe they should drop the age restriction and make it a FAMILY beer garden.[/quote:0ba79]

Now we're talking.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users