Photo

Victoria Restaurant Inspections

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:36 PM

Before I go out to eat anywhere in Victoria, I always make sure to take advantage of the Vancouver Island Health Authority's online Health Inspection Reports.

This is an Excellent website feature that anyone who dines out frequently in Victoria, or anywhere on Vancouver Island for that matter can access and review health inspections of every single restaurant, pub, bar, or business that sells food  on the entire island.

Keep in mind when reviewing the site that almost every establishment in Victoria or on Vancouver Island has had Violations at some point or other. Some have had repeat violations, while others have had minor and infrequent violations, and some have actually been closed down by VIHA.

My personal rule is to frequent the establishments with the least amount of violations, or with the lowest hazard rating of violations. This way it gives me as a person who eats out often a great insight into how each restaurant or place of business is operated in regards to food safety and sanitation, and helps keep me safer when eating out.

You can easily tell when reading the reports which business's take the inspections seriously, and which ones don't.  My advice is to not give your business to eating establishments with multiple Violations.

If you have never visited the site, or have never heard of it I will post the link below.

Enjoy, and please do give your feedback.

Cheers,

https://www.healthsp...f/Food-Frameset

Edited by Star Dust, 20 January 2018 - 08:38 PM.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:29 AM

Ya, I’m not checking the site. Why bother. Every restaurant that is open is not in violation. I’m good with that.

Unlike, say, marijuana dispensaries, VIHA seems to be able to shut down stuff not in compliance.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 January 2018 - 12:30 AM.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:58 AM

Also, it all screams a bit germaphobic to me to do so. We have moved just a bit to far in our antibacterial everything.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

Why bother. Every restaurant that is open is not in violation. I’m good with that.

Not true, some restaurants that are in Violation are in a limbo state of correcting their violation before closure or fines being issued. Checking their reports lets you see if they are in good standing or not.

Plus it really is to your advantage to look at the History of a restaurants food safety and sanitary history.  Unless that is of course you just don't care if a restaurant owner has the health and safety of it's customers as a top priority or not.  I know that's important to me if I am going to give my business to any restaurant. But hey, to each their own.

Edited by Star Dust, 21 January 2018 - 12:02 PM.

#5 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

Also, it all screams a bit germaphobic to me to do so. We have moved just a bit to far in our antibacterial everything.

Restaurant inspections cover a lot more then just "Bacterial contamination" that is only one aspect that inspectors look for when doing an inspection.

Personally I think that knowing if your chef is washing his hands after wiping his bum or not is quite an important bit of information to know when eating in their establishment. You would be surprised how many restaurants have been in violation for having no hand soap in the staff bathrooms.

#6 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

Rarely happens, but if I feel ill after a restaurant meal, the VIHA inspections history is my first stop.

• Star Dust likes this

#7 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

So which local restaurants are the worst offenders?

#8 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

So which local restaurants are the worst offenders?

I could name a few that have actually been SHUT DOWN by VIHA, but I will leave it up to you to scan through the hundreds of restaurants on the site ;). And that's just Victoria.  The site lists not only restaurants, but school cafeterias, hot dog stands, and any licensed business on the Island that sells food. The first list you will see on the left is a long list of all towns and cities on Vancouver Island. They are alphabetical. Just click on the town or city you want to look at and Boom. Or to fast track, simply type in the name of the Restaurant or Establishment in the search bar at the top and it will come up right away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users