Photo

Victoria Bakeries that don't use preservatives?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 P. North

P. North
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:01 AM

I am looking for a local bakery that does not use preservatives in their bread. I checked out XXX but it turns out they are basically a XXX franchise and load all of their products with BHA, and BHT as well as Silicone Dioxide.

A good loaf of pure Pumpernickel is what I am looking for.

Are their any "Natural" Bakeries in Victoria that make bread without any chemical preservatives? I can't have any of that in my diet.

Edited by Sparky see post #4 below

#2 bugeyed

bugeyed
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:40 AM

Pumpernickel doesn't seem to be very popular in the local bakeries.  I think it's an acquired taste.  You can try http://rubschlagerbreads.com/rye-ola/ Save On Foods lists it on their website but I'm not sure if they carry it locally.  If you're looking for good bread without preservatives that isn't pumpernickel you can try Wildfire Bakery, Fol Epi or Bond Bond's.  Hope that helps.  

#3 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:18 AM

Fry’s is probably your best best for a pumpernickel style loaf.

Matt.

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:18 AM

load all of their products with BHA, and BHT as well as Silicone Dioxide.

This is a statement that needs to be backed up with data.

What is your definition of "load" and what proof do you have that what you are saying is a fact? Is "load all" an accurate statement? Every single product that they bake has all three ingredients....right?

This is someone's business that you are stating facts about. You named them. You need to be sure. 

For now I have removed the name. I will put it back when your statement is substantiated.

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:29 AM

^ FYI, I am not trying to be a hardass here P. North, I am just kicking our accountability up a notch. If what you say "holds water" then we are good to go.

Events have confirmed recently that posting on this forum about local businesses has a real impact on that business. We need to be careful about what we post....and why.

• johnk likes this

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:44 AM

Events have confirmed recently that posting on this forum about local businesses has a real impact on that business. 

Did they lose business over it?  I'm pretty sure nobody stopped buying their product or services.  They just have a big enough platform to say they were affected.  They never came on here to battle over the facts or allegations, they just decided the best strategy was to shoot the messenger, and trash my business reputation.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 January 2018 - 05:46 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:55 AM

^ I don't even know what BHA, BHT, or Silicone Dioxide is but they sound nasty and apparently they "load all of their products" with them.

I will bet you a dollar to a doughnut (see what I did there?) that statement will have an effect on that business. I don't need proof that they lost business. I would like to see a document or a label that lists the ingredients just like you find on a can of tomato soup. 

Then the bakery is on it's own. 

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:00 AM

You can find all the Cobs labels and ingredients on their comprehensive website:

http://www.cobsbread...uct-information

Standard white seems to be preservative free.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 January 2018 - 06:01 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:03 AM

Do all bakeries list their ingredients like these people do?

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:07 AM

It might depend on the size of the operation.  Here's Irene's with pumpernickel:

IMG_8628.JPG

IMG_8629.JPG

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:08 AM

COBS Bread’s health commitment can be demonstrated through the range of health attributes exemplified by our product range. Not to mention promotion of a healthy lifestyle both in our bakeries and out in the community.

ADDITIVES
  • Where possible, COBS Bread avoids using artificial colours and flavours and uses natural alternatives.
  • Where possible, COBS Bread avoids using preservatives and increases the number of products that are free from all preservatives.

So not all products, but many or most are preservative free.

I think they can be called the McDonalds of baking only in that they have consistency across locations.  And a recognized brand.  Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 January 2018 - 06:09 AM.

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:09 AM

^ Thanks for that.

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:07 AM

Sometimes I bake my own bread using an automatic bread machine. It's delicious when it's hot and fresh. But stale within a day or two. People like the concept of preservative free bread but they would hate the reality.

• VicHockeyFan, Baro, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#14 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:41 AM

Wildfire would be a good bet  - not sure they do pumpernickel. Bonds Bonds might also be worth checking out.

#15 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:15 AM

So not all products, but many or most are preservative free.

I think they can be called the McDonalds of baking only in that they have consistency across locations.  And a recognized brand.  Nothing wrong with that.

If you look specifically at Pumpernickel for Cobs though, it states vegetable oil, including BHA/BHT.

http://www.cobsbread...mpernickel_cob 

I don't know if Cobs was the original bakery mentioned, and it doesn't really matter, as most of their products are NOT loaded with preservatives. There are some exceptions that have 'some' preservatives though. Sparky is right to raise the standard here, in my opinion; otherwise we get too much #fakenews.

Edited by lanforod, 29 January 2018 - 08:17 AM.

• Sparky likes this

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

You should really consider making your own bread. If you are avoiding preservatives you don't want to buy a loaf that was baked in a factory the day before. Plus you'll save a ton of money and it can be an enjoyable hobby.

#17 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

Sometimes I bake my own bread using an automatic bread machine. It's delicious when it's hot and fresh. But stale within a day or two. People like the concept of preservative free bread but they would hate the reality.

With fresh bread we keep it in the freezer and just take out what we need for a sandwich or whatever, that way it tastes fresh and no need for preservatives.

• RoadRunner likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#18 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

Just go to Fry’s! He does a great selection of German and euro style dense bread and lots of rye. Oh and get a mutton sausage roll while you are there too.

Matt.

#19 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

Centuries ago in rural France tiny villages had a "four banal" (daily oven) where a different person each day baked the village's bread.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

The German bakery in Nanaimo is amazing. If you're looking for traditional eastern European and north-central European breads that's your place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users