Photo

Victoria Bakeries that don't use preservatives?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

France has strict rules governing bread ingredients and often people will buy bread twice a day. We've had nothing in Canada that even comes close. The flavour is amazing, esp. coupled with French butter. :-) I think the price is controlled too.

#22 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

Strict rules, for sure, and not just in terms of ingredients. Only someone who has been apprenticed, trained and qualified can call himself a baker (boulanger). A boulanger uses his own yeasts and makes bread starting at 3 or 4am (hard to find young people willing to enter the metier nowadays) and he bakes twice a day. All breads specify ingredients and many different flours are used.
Bread is also available at a Depot de Pain where dough is brought in and simply placed in the oven. These guys are not legally allowed to advertise themselves as boulangers, they are minions who load and unload the oven kinda like "bakers" in supermarkets.
Qualifying in any food discipline is long, hard work in France because the French take their food seriously and have very high standards.
And, the boulanger will sell you half a loaf if thats all you need. He knows someone will turn up to buy the other half.
  • VicHockeyFan, Matt R. and nerka like this

#23 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

The quality of food available at our corner convenience store in Paris blew my mind, two years later we are still talking about it. And the patisserie just a couple blocks from our apartment.. unbelievable but just regular ordinary everyday stuff for them.

When we took our exchange student shopping for Halloween, we took her to wal mart and she felt the same about the 2kg bags of m&m’s!

Anyways, have you been to Fry’s yet?

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

Strict rules, for sure, and not just in terms of ingredients. Only someone who has been apprenticed, trained and qualified can call himself a baker (boulanger). A boulanger uses his own yeasts and makes bread starting at 3 or 4am (hard to find young people willing to enter the metier nowadays) and he bakes twice a day. All breads specify ingredients and many different flours are used.
Bread is also available at a Depot de Pain where dough is brought in and simply placed in the oven. These guys are not legally allowed to advertise themselves as boulangers, they are minions who load and unload the oven kinda like "bakers" in supermarkets.
Qualifying in any food discipline is long, hard work in France because the French take their food seriously and have very high standards.
And, the boulanger will sell you half a loaf if thats all you need. He knows someone will turn up to buy the other half.

Very interesting.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

Very interesting.

Isn't it? See...

Capitalist bread: overpriced, corrupt

Government controlled bread: fresh, delicious, cheap

• VicHockeyFan, Coreyburger, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#26 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

It's interesting to note that the original poster has not replied nor is anywhere to be seen...???

• Matt R. and JanionGuy like this

#27 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

It's interesting to note that the original poster has not replied nor is anywhere to be seen...???

Seems he came and went.

• Mike K., lanforod and RoadRunner like this

#28 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

Isn't it? See...

...which is why it would never catch on in canada. cbc would have some economist from the u of calgary school of public policy or fraser institute on to say price controls don't work & kill jobs or whatever and that would be that.

if you put dough in the fridge and yeast goes to sleep but enzymes keep working and break down the starches into sugars, so you can make bread without preservatives or added sugar. the trouble is it takes more time that way.

#29 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

But the good thing is I found out about Fry's bakery.

• Matt R. and JanionGuy like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#30 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

Seems like what we need to break the tyranny of mediocre bread is "Capitalism with French Characteristics".

#31 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

Honestly, there's nothing like having a history of violent revolution, guillotines, and bread riots in the streets to ensure that regulation and government oversight are implemented.

• Mike K. likes this

#32 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:06 PM

France has strict rules governing bread ingredients and often people will buy bread twice a day. We've had nothing in Canada that even comes close. The flavour is amazing, esp. coupled with French butter. :-) I think the price is controlled too.

i thought this guy was in france also, oh well I'll put it here anyway
https://munchies.vic...te-more-buttery

quick search.... aha this is what I was thinking of

https://www.youtube....h?v=0GFtx5P7Mu8

Edited by amor de cosmos, 02 February 2018 - 09:29 PM.

#33 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Honestly, there's nothing like having a history of violent revolution, guillotines, and bread riots in the streets to ensure that regulation and government oversight are implemented.

The guillotine is remarkably efficient and painless (so I hear). Sometimes low-tech is best.

#34 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:30 PM

Oh....I'm here just silently observing the flock (:

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#35 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:32 AM

sourdough pasta

A family-owned bakery in the B.C. Interior has received government funding to develop a new fermented pasta that may have health benefits.

Kaslo Sourdough uses ancient sourdough fermentation technology to create its Pasta Fermentata.

Creator Silvio Lettrari — who has been baking sourdough bread and researching sourdough for 25 years — calls it the first pasta of its kind in the world.

"As Einstein said, first comes the question, can I? And I did some experimenting and invested money into pasta equipment and came up with this," Lettrari said in an interview with Chris Walker, host of CBC's Daybreak South.

"It has flavour, but it doesn't taste sour."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nding-1.4539481

#36 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

Von's 1000 Spirits in downtown Seattle makes sourdough pasta on site: http://www.vons1000s...0spirits.com/  

I don't know if it's egg, diary, and salt-free like Pasta Fermentata though

#37 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:42 AM

...which is why it would never catch on in canada. cbc would have some economist from the u of calgary school of public policy or fraser institute on to say price controls don't work & kill jobs or whatever and that would be that.

if you put dough in the fridge and yeast goes to sleep but enzymes keep working and break down the starches into sugars, so you can make bread without preservatives or added sugar. the trouble is it takes more time that way.

What?

Much more likely that they would have some social worker proposing that the Canada Infrastructure Bank invest in 5,000 community owned four banals  across the country.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users