#1 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

Victoria Apple Store a go? After years of speculation, sources say yes

https://victoria.cit...ources-say-yes/

Victoria’s Mayfair Shopping Centre could soon be home to Vancouver Island’s first Apple Store.

Multiple sources say the Cupertino, California-based tech giant plans to open its 30th Canadian outlet as part of the retail hub’s $72 million expansion and modernization project underway since mid-2016.

With recent rumours of an Island-bound Apple Store swirling about since last summer, it appeared the gig was up last fall when media reports hinted at the prospect of substance to the chatter. Mayfair representatives, however, neither refuted nor supported such claims.

But now industry insiders are giving the nod to the store’s arrival amid Apple’s legendary new product and retail location secrecy. [Full article]

• qwerty likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

This will be a great addition to Victoria's retail offerings, especially for existing Apple customers...

• Mike K. likes this

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

Not so much for the Apple dealers within about 5km!
  • VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this

#4 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

Been waiting for years for the Island to finally get an Apple store, and if this is true, will be a big improvement to Mayfair. Always a pain to have to go over to Vancouver (unless you want to go through the Apple "dealers" around town). 

• Hotel Mike and JanionGuy like this

#5 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:08 PM

OK so it's not an Apple store and it's not Victoria, but it looks like Apple will be opening a 60,000 sf office in Vancouver at 400 West Georgia Street, kitty corner to the new Amazon office. Maybe this will bode well for Victoria's prospects of a future Apple store...

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:14 PM

It’s rather bizarre how they pulled out of Mayfair.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:17 PM

Maybe they caught wind of how disappointing the new addition at Mayfair was going to be.

• Brantastic likes this

#8 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:26 PM

I don't think you can say the pulled out when several sources have said it was never planned to happen.
  • GaryRanson likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 01:42 PM

Oh there’s more to it.

Know it all.

#10 Laszlow

Laszlow
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:07 PM

Weird eh?

I have been involved with Apple from Day 1. (Well not now I am retired) I was a founding member of MAGIC (80s BBS Macintosh Awareness Group in Canada) and worked for a couple of agencies that did Apple's work (sites ads stores etc with BBDO and US Web/CKS). When I first moved here in 95 I for some reason I imagined Victoria would be Mac-Central!  Boy was I wrong!

Any Mac gear I had shipped in from back east. Still do.

Sorry ... sidebar!  A good friend also a Mac guy, when I asked about this "No Mac" situation back then, he said well there is a Vanc Island Webmaster club or Assoc (I can't remember?)  I was looking for the similar types of Mac-specific BBS we had back east (I knew of a dozen or so in the east?) We all used First Class by SoftArc

So I went to a meeting. This is 1995ish ... dozens and dozens and dozens of guys in a room. I stood up and asked if anyone was making more than 10 bux an hour?

Nope.

So I left!

In TO there are lots of Apple authorized dealers that work well and prosper alongside Apple flagship stores (US Web did the orig design of these stores and built the Apple look and feel) 

Victoria  ... what think you based on this and IKEA not lasting here?

Also happened to walk into Mayfair yesterday ... 

I dunno

I just don't know. Will see I guess.

I get all my Mac stuff from two dealers back east ... no fuss no muss.

#11 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:09 PM

Oh there’s more to it.

Mike ... c'mon ... fill us in  :confused:

#12 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:12 PM

I see tons of iphones around town, and people get them serviced here just fine it seems.  What does an official apple store offer beyond this?

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#13 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:15 PM

Mike ... c'mon ... fill us in  :confused:

Maybe Mayfair wasn't on board with the new Apple Town Square concept [/sarcasm]

#14 Laszlow

Laszlow
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:20 PM

I see tons of iphones around town, and people get them serviced here just fine it seems.  What does an official apple store offer beyond this?

I would imagine the Telcos do the most to get iPhones in people's hands.

Apple Stores are amazing for pretty solid expert advice. And some wicked emergency service. I have had a couple of ext hard drives that went weird. Brought em in ... presto fixed

And the last time was a hung install of Sierra I think??? Can't remember ... again presto. Done. Free! (And no I have never had an apple warranty on anything).

They also have open box specials from time to time

.And you get to see the latest and greatest on display. 

But for this to work y'all have to be a cultist or at least a fanboy/girl.

• Baro likes this

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:00 PM

I’ve switched everything over to Apple and setup my whole family with MacBooks. Everybody’s happy = Priceless.
  • Matt R., Hotel Mike, JanionGuy and 2 others like this

Know it all.

#16 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

I decided to replace my battery on an iphone 6 on Apple's almost-free replacement (ending Dec 31, 2018).   I called a few stores in Victoria and they wanted the apple price of $35 plus $50++ for labour (i was also quoted $100 labour) and i had to leave my phone for a couple of days.??

So i booked an appointment online at an Apple store in Vancouver when i knew i would be passing through town.  I dropped off the phone for one hour and it only cost me the apple-approved $35 for the new battery.

That's what an official apple store offers.  No markups for warranty and/or services.  

Whether or not the rumour was true, it's too bad we don't have an Apple store in Victoria...

• Rob Randall likes this

#17 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:25 PM

An Apple Store is light years ahead of a third party Apple retailer.

As JG notes above, the level of service provided is something you simply can't get at a third party retailer ... and for many folks that are newer to the platform, stations like the Apple Genius Bar can provide the equivalent of hundreds of dollars worth of troubleshooting, or simple instruction on how to accomplish a task with a given piece of software.

For Mom and Pop who may be just dipping their toes into the Apple infrastructure that automatically blends their iPhone, iMac, and iPad into a seamless experience ... the assistance from the Genius Bar can make them Apple fans for life.

As well, Apple Stores offer endless free evening creative workshops on everything from how to create original music with Logic, to how to edit video like a pro ... with Final Cut Pro.

And inventory ... no third party retailer can touch an Apple Store for in-store inventory. You want a new strap for your Apple Watch? ... go to Best Buy and maybe you'll find one or two choices ... go to an Apple Store and you can pick and choose dozens from the entire model line.

You want to actually sit down and listen to two HomePods set up for stereo? ... that's only going to happen at an Apple Store.

If you're an Apple "fan boy" (and I am, since System 6), then an Apple Store is mana from heaven ... and if you're not an Apple fan boy, an Apple Store in your town stands a pretty good chance of making you one.

Edited by Cassidy, 31 October 2018 - 09:26 PM.

#18 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

I had my Iphone 6s battery changed at London Drugs.  They made an appt for me, told me it would take 45 minutes max.  No upcharge, quoted me $35.  When I went to pick up the phone, the tech said "oh I'm sorry, it's not going to be $35, it's free, your phone was under a recall"    I could not have asked for better service.  

• rjag, JanionGuy and Laszlow like this

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:22 AM

Awesome to know! Thank you.

Know it all.

#20 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:34 AM

Makes me wonder when we are going to see a Samsung Experience Store in Victoria

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users