• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

Makes me wonder when we are going to see a Samsung Experience Store in Victoria

Don't hold your breath, the only Canadian stores so far are in Vancouver, Edmonton, and Toronto

#22 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:04 PM

ah, that's too bad, I have lots of Samsung stuff.  Regardless if you are buying an iPhone, you are buying Samsung!

https://www.forbes.c...-again-in-2017/

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:23 PM

An Apple Store is light years ahead of a third party Apple retailer.

As JG notes above, the level of service provided is something you simply can't get at a third party retailer ... and for many folks that are newer to the platform, stations like the Apple Genius Bar can provide the equivalent of hundreds of dollars worth of troubleshooting, or simple instruction on how to accomplish a task with a given piece of software.

I beg to differ...

https://www.youtube....h?v=o2_SZ4tfLns

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#24 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:01 AM

I beg to differ...

What exactly are you "differing" with?

The genius bar is a place you go to get help, not to get motherboard/daughterboard hardware repairs done onsite and in real time.

So in the video the CBC guy chooses to get nothing done by Apple, neither a hardware fix, nor the purchase of a new computer.

What's the problem?

The Apple Genius Bar gave the guy two choices, he didn't take either one, and he instead went to a third party repair facility ... his choice.

Pins don't bend themselves, so the computer was dropped.

The water telltales were red, so there was excessive moisture inside the computer (it doesn't matter if it was liquid or humidity "in the air").

In the same vein as your local Ford Dealer charging two or three times as much per hour for repairs as your local independent auto repair facility, so too does Apple have higher repair costs than an independent third party facility.

If your comment relates to the broader movement to "replace" electronics rather than "repair" electronics, that's an entirely different conversation.

Note that NONE of these third party repair facilities use Apple approved parts (because Apple doesn't supply them to third parties), but if that doesn't matter to you, and just like folks who get their cars repaired at third party facilities rather than a Ford Dealer ... you're free to choose whomever you want to fix your Apple product.

These kind of "Anti-Apple" stories, videos, and tales have been around for years, if not decades.

Unfortunately for the folks who tend to tell these tales ... the fact that Apple is the most valuable company in the world is a fact that tends to relegate such stories to the "tall tale" bin rather quickly.

Folks don't make your company #1 in the world if they don't trust your product ... and companies don't get to be the #1 company in the world by ripping their customers off.

Edited by Cassidy, 02 November 2018 - 06:02 AM.

• VIResident likes this

#25 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:16 AM

^sounds like the blind loyalty that Apple relies on.

since when does Ford charge two or three times for repairs?  Sure repair charges vary all over town, but I think when I last checked its like a $20/hr premium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG_NRcy5mxU

If I went to The Apple Store, I expect them to know how to repair everything they built.  I also expect them to accept responsibility for everything they sell with Apple branding on it, which apparently they don't as you are expected to contact their manufacturer.  I wonder if Ford makes you contact their brake manufacturer and then doesn't even give you their phone number for repair?

edit:  ok, I posted a link to a youtube video and its not showing up.  weird

Edited by tjv, 02 November 2018 - 07:18 AM.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:20 AM

I loathe Apple’s proprietary ‘everything’ but grin and bear it.

They’re a terrible company from that angle but their quality tends to be far higher than comparable products, although you do pay a premium for it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:20 AM

giphy.gif

• lanforod and grantpalin like this

#28 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:32 AM

^^^ Exactly. Forty years later... still at it...   :P

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:36 AM

No offense to all of you but this kind of brand loyalty was well deserved with Apple in the 80s and maybe again in the late 90s for their computers and maybe their gadgets in the early 2000s but in the last 10 years they have become the old cautious brand that Microsoft used to be. Why anyone would want an apple store here is beyond me. There's a whole apple section in best buy. They can sell you a new computer when yours needs a minor repair just as easily as anyone else.

Also to be clear I don't think their products are bad just cautious, boring and overpriced.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:39 AM

They’re great in that they stock virtually everything the company sells. Best Buy has a very, very limited selection. You can’t even buy an iPhone with more than 64gb because they don’t sell enough of them to stock them. It’s little things like that which make an Apple Store so convenient.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:10 AM

Well I have never been in the one in Vancouver but I am sure at some point there will be a need for all you to get your store...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#32 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:52 AM

No offense to all of you but this kind of brand loyalty was well deserved with Apple in the 80s and maybe again in the late 90s for their computers and maybe their gadgets in the early 2000s but in the last 10 years they have become the old cautious brand that Microsoft used to be. Why anyone would want an apple store here is beyond me. There's a whole apple section in best buy. They can sell you a new computer when yours needs a minor repair just as easily as anyone else.

Also to be clear I don't think their products are bad just cautious, boring and overpriced.

Basically, Apple is repeating history. The first time it only took 8 years after 1984. This time Apple has a much better supply manager, who has kept the company healthy after October 2011 but, product development has become stagnant.

#33 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:06 AM

They’re a terrible company from that angle but their quality tends to be far higher than comparable products, although you do pay a premium for it.

I've watched a lot of the Rossman repair videos and my previous belief that Apple hardware quality is somehow better as a means to justify the higher pricing have been pretty much snuffed out.

The only reason I bought the iPhone X is, frankly, that it's the lesser of two evils.  Looking at the design flaws of the iPhone 6 and 7 models, I'm hoping nothing similar crops up with the X

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#34 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:30 AM

Personal opinion posts to be sure (including my own) ... but some seem to conveniently ignore the fact that Apple is the most valuable company in the world!

Contemplate for a moment how it got there, and suddenly the wind is gone from most anti-Apple arguments.

But in the end, you buy the products you like to buy - I'm not sure if anybody really cares what you (or I) choose to purchase.

Although most will comment on the personal choices made by others in an internet forum, if anybody actually cares what I (or "you") buy in real life ...  that's probably bordering on some sort of personality disorder.

But again ... most valuable company in the world ... a sure sign of complete consumer confidence, excellent reliability, incredible software design and brilliant product engineering!

• GaryRanson likes this

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

... most valuable company in the world ... a sure sign of complete consumer confidence, excellent reliability, incredible software design and brilliant product engineering!

And exceptional marketing strategies.

#36 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

Personal opinion posts to be sure (including my own) ... but some seem to conveniently ignore the fact that Apple is the most valuable company in the world!

When they sell a new MacBook for $1800 every time a $20 fix is presented as irreparable damage, it's not hard to see why!

#37 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:00 AM

When they sell a new MacBook for $1800 every time a $20 fix is presented as irreparable damage, it's not hard to see why!

When last investigated ... Apple doesn't force anybody to buy anything at all!

Purchasing decisions are made by individuals, based on their own personal wants and needs.

That enough individuals have purchased enough Apple products to turn Apple into the most valuable company in the world is simply a fact ... and it remains a hard fact regardless of how internet pundits attempt to spin it in a direction that simply isn't relevant to what is ... after all - a hard fact.

• N E Body likes this

#38 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:18 AM

I've watched a lot of the Rossman repair videos and my previous belief that Apple hardware quality is somehow better as a means to justify the higher pricing have been pretty much snuffed out.

The only reason I bought the iPhone X is, frankly, that it's the lesser of two evils.  Looking at the design flaws of the iPhone 6 and 7 models, I'm hoping nothing similar crops up with the X

I watched a few today and the results were shocking.  Considering Apple makes their own screw with a special head so its extremely difficult to even attempt a repair

Contemplate for a moment how it got there, and suddenly the wind is gone from most anti-Apple arguments.

Don't care, I buy Samsung because its a much better product in both features and price.  I am sure they are the most valuable company in the world when they overcharge by 30-50% IMO for an inferior product.  I refuse to buy crApple

#39 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:31 AM

I buy Samsung

Oh gross. Stopped reading here 🤢
  • Bob Fugger likes this

#40 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:58 AM

I watched a few today and the results were shocking.  Considering Apple makes their own screw with a special head so its extremely difficult to even attempt a repair

Don't care, I buy Samsung because its a much better product in both features and price.  I am sure they are the most valuable company in the world when they overcharge by 30-50% IMO for an inferior product.  I refuse to buy crApple

Don't care.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users