• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

https://www.facebook...liesCafeBakery/

Apparently W. Dale Mallock (owner of Darcy's, Upstairs, Duke Saloon) has taken over and has some plans.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

Willie's has a couple suites above.

http://williesvacationrentals.com/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

I went to the grand opening reception last night.   I'm not really sure what has changed as I'm not sure I've ever stepped foot in the place before.

Anyway, Dale pointed out some photos to me, and one is the JSB on opening day.  I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.  I might have to take a photo of that photo.  I might do that this morning and post in the JSB thread.

I think it shows the view from maybe atop the bridge looking towards Market Square.  I think.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 February 2018 - 09:22 AM.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

Fun fact. Willie’s is named after Shellie Gudgeon’s son and Isabella’s suites up above after her daughter.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

THE EARLY DAYS
  • Original Bakery Built in 1887
  • Owned and operated by four generations of the Wille family
  • At one time Wille baked 32 different varieties of breads and produced over 500 loaves a bread a day

Er... no.  Unless her son is like 131 year old.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 February 2018 - 09:25 AM.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

Willie's Bakery is important to the City of Victoria's heritage as a product of late nineteenth century entrepreneurship. Opened as a bakery by miller and baker Louis Wille in 1887, it provides an important reflection of a typical building and business that contributed to the city's boom time between 1886 and 1892, and supported the city's growth as the economic hub of British Columbia. 

Custom-built by architect Elmer H. Fisher, it is notable that Willie's Bakery housed the oldest continuous bakery operation in British Columbia's history (Wille's Bakery, 1887-1976). The functional and attractive design is a reflection of the architectural idioms of the time, and illustrates the ability of the architect to articulate the enterprising success of its original owner. Likewise, the fact that this place saw a rebirth in 1989 as Willie's Bakery, after a 23-year hiatus, speaks to the importance of Old Town traditions and the suitability of the architecture to its original purpose. 

http://www.historicp...eu.aspx?id=6067

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:32 AM

So Willie and Isabella being the names of the previous owner’s children had no effect on the name of a a re-opened cafe located beside and above the previous owner’s restaurant? It’s an awesome coincidence that also works as an homage to the original bakery.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:39 AM

So Willie and Isabella being the names of the previous owner’s children had no effect on the name of a a re-opened cafe located beside and above the previous owner’s restaurant? It’s an awesome coincidence that also works as an homage to the original bakery.

I'd rather say that Wille appealed to Gudgeon as a name, so she named her child that, but with the more conventional "i" in the spelling.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

More importantly, is this Wille family the same as the Dodge dealership family?

• Matt R. likes this

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:22 AM

...and thereafter name her bakery Willie’s, not Wille’s.

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users