Photo

Vibrating Victoria - Earthquakes in the Capital/Vancouver Island regions

• Please log in to reply
1115 replies to this topic

#1101 Bingo

Bingo
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:54 AM

For those who want to check out what the tsunami sirens sound like...

A big noise for public safety.

Earthquake and Tsunami siren testing gets underway today across part of the Capital Region District.

Designed by the University of British Columbia, two state-of-the-art sirens will sound for the first time in Port Renfrew, Pacheedaht First Nation and Jordan River Regional Park.

Testing happens from 11 am til 1 pm today in Jordan River Regional Park, and between 9 am and 5 pm in Port Renfrew and the Pacheedaht First Nation.

http://www.iheartrad...f-crd-1.3624790

#1102 todd

todd
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

Why not do a civil defense siren at the same time? Just as likely.

#1103 On the Level

On the Level
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:39 PM

Felt an earthquake 20 min ago.....

earthquake_Mar_6.jpg

USGS page: M 2.3 - 7km NW of Langford, Canada

2.3 magnitude, 33 km depth

https://earthquaketrack.com/quakes/2018-03-07-06-06-15-utc-2-3-33

#1104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:42 PM

It’s bullshit that Langford is taking credit for our earthquakes now. All the more reason for amalgamation.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 March 2018 - 10:42 PM.

• Nparker and On the Level like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1105 On the Level

On the Level
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:47 PM

Don't blame Langford, it's either the Mueller Investigation, the Fort Street Bike Lanes, or both.

#1106 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:01 PM

It also could be Hedley.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1107 todd

todd
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:08 PM

Don't blame Langford, it's either the Mueller Investigation, the Fort Street Bike Lanes, or both.

The bike lanes are simply an extension of a russian version of haarp.

• Matt R. likes this

#1108 On the Level

On the Level
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:13 PM

Can someone check the new JSB?

The City’s former director of engineering, Dwayne Kalynchuk, confirmed to Focus that Hardesty & Hanover had used the reduced seismic design criteria to design the bridge.

Several months later, the bridge project director Jonathan Huggett informed councillors that the new bridge would be “somewhat less robust” than the existing, 93-year-old bridge.

http://focusonline.ca/node/1062

#1109 todd

todd
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:34 PM

Can someone check the new JSB?

http://focusonline.ca/node/1062

The rail portion fell off!
  • Mike K. likes this

#1110 Old Esquimalt

Old Esquimalt
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:39 PM

I would say YES. The channel narrows right at the bridge so the wave will gain in height.

It could even gain more height if the current is flowing out of the Gorge at the same time as a strong westerly is blowing creating the perfect mess.

Boaters who have encountered a "standing wave" in Baynes Channel when the wind opposes the direction of the current, will understand this principal*.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Standing_wave

*But heck, it's just a guess

Previous tsunamis of the kind that is expected here will fill to overflowing any channel they can travel up or area they can overflow.  A large wave or surge entering Victoria harbour will definitely travel as far up the Gorge as its height, the depth of the Gorge, the height of adjoining areas, and the time before it recedes will allow.  Based on what we are told is the likely strength of the next Cascadia quake, a probable mega-thrust quake, I would expect the entire area to flooded as far up as Portage Inlet and beyond to an unknown depth  Probably the surge as it is forced up the deep, narrow area below the Tillicum Road bridge will take out that bridge and the Craigflower Bridge and then disperse itself over the Portage Inlet "flood plain" as we could call it.  I'd expect that the outflow into Esquimalt harbour via the Portage Park area will cut a channel there that will finally give Portage Inlet better drainage and fewer smells!

Just heard a biggish thump went outside thought the hooligans were up to it, dog wouldn't let me sleep after that took about 10 biscuits to calm him down.

Pay attention to the dogs.  When the big one is coming they will start acting strangely in large numbers.  If I hear the dogs around my place start howling and barking at the same time, which is not something they ever do now, I will take it as certainty that something big is going to happen very soon.  Take a look at the videos on youtube of dogs acting up before the big Sumatra quake and tsunami. 

The City publishes a seismic vulnerability map which shows soil liquefaction risk areas etc.  For those concerned it's worth looking at.

"Now returning you to the aimless banter already in progress."

Edited by Old Esquimalt, 24 March 2018 - 05:42 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1111 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,122 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

For those interested, and the subject has come up more than once in this thread, here is the official CAF plan dubbed "Operation Panorama", which outlines the CAF response to and role in any major west coast earthquake particularly impacting SW BC.

Among other things, assuming a 9.0 event emanating specifically as a result of a rupture along the Cascadia Subduction Zone, the plan envisions an operation lasting 6 months or more (180 days+) and "yes" certainly speaks to and anticipates, under certain conditions, the relative likelihood of a tsunami within the constraints of the Juan de Fuca Strait:

https://shawglobalne...-2016-00922.pdf

• todd likes this

#1112 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 2,661 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:28 AM

Oh man, I can't be the only one that felt that shaker!  This morning, right at 11AM.  Felt like a solid 4.0 earthquake.

#1113 Nparker

Nparker
  • 19,073 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:30 AM

Oh man, I can't be the only one that felt that shaker!  This morning, right at 11AM.  Felt like a solid 4.0 earthquake.

With all the jolts we feel here at my office from the Hudson Place construction, it would be hard to determine if one of them were due to natural causes.

#1114 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

None of the monitoring pages are reporting any activity. They say there hasn't been a felt quake in BC since the Victoria one June 21.

http://www.earthquak...nt/index-en.php

#1115 Bingo

Bingo
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:21 AM

Just another earth quack feeling jolted.

#1116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 42,212 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:26 AM

There have been three quakes measuring between 1.5 and 1.9 in our area over the last week, but none yesterday or today.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.