• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

#361 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

So very interesting twist introduced into this burgeoning trade war with Alberta by the Supreme Court of Canada today.  In a unanimous decision, SCC justices ruled in what's known as the "free the beer" case that "...provincial trade barriers are constitutional as long as they’re aimed at a valid purpose within the province’s jurisdiction, with only an incidental effect on trade."

It would appear that Alberta throttling would fail both prongs of that test (FUN FACT: SCC loves them some multi-pronged tests in their jurisprudence!).

http://nationalpost....-constitutional

Edited by Bob Fugger, 19 April 2018 - 07:56 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#362 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:57 AM

No ads, no declarations. The odd radio interview or statement doesn’t enter into the equation if folks relatively plugged in aren’t noticing it. In some circles for sure there’s chatter but while Unifor is blasting Trump in radio ads, they’re silent on the pipeline. That’s so bizarre it’s almost as though they’re ...playing politics.

But it’s definitely for the best. Let the three parties sink their own ships.

Horgan is the most disliked politician in Canada. Trudeau is just Trudeau itching to get this term over with so he can go surfing. And Notley has killed her chance at reelection.

I'll call BS on this, Wynne wants that title back.

Fairly recent polls show that simply isn't true, as much as you and I may want it to be: https://www.huffingt...it_a_23391543/ 

• Mike K. and jonny like this

#363 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:03 AM

Wilkinson may be smart to just sit back and say:

- We support the project, but it is our opinion that this matter falls under federal constitutional jurisdiction.

- The BC Liberals respect the rule of law, the Canadian confederation and the Canadian constitution. 

- Christy Clark smartly negotiated a good deal with her "5 conditions" which provides billions in economic benefits to BC and a world class spill protection program which will improve the safety of all marine traffic in British Columbia. 

Notley was always likely a one hit wonder. The PCs needed to be given a reality check. With the latest polls I saw, it would take a bloody miracle for the NDP to win again [in Alberta]. 

I guess the biggest surprise is Trudeau, who seems to be imploding in on himself more often than not. People are figuring out that he is full of BS, but he still has plenty of time to turn the tide. 

Edited by jonny, 19 April 2018 - 08:04 AM.

• LJ likes this

#364 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,540 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

Well, Notley is calling Ford the "Trump of Canada," so perhaps you're right.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#365 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:05 AM

Well, Notley is calling Ford the "Trump of Canada," so perhaps you're right.

No, Wynne is.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#366 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,540 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

Sorry sorry sorry, that's what I mean.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#367 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:41 AM

Many Ontarians would love to forget Wynne much like Mike seems to have  :banana:

• rjag likes this

#368 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

Had coffee this morning with an old MP from the Jo Clark era. Pretty plugged in guy still. We were talking among other things about the GreeNDP coalition and he had a few things to say on the topic. He thinks Weaver is punching way above his weight here and doesn't have the depth of experience to win over more constituents. He agrees Weaver is only hanging on for October and thinks there will be an election next Spring where Horgan will try to read the tea leaves and see if he can finally rid himself of that stone in his shoe, Weaver. He thinks Horgan is doomed as in the NDP tradition where they cannibalize themselves and that he can only sustain a crisis style of leadership for so long.

He was talking with Mr Black last week and the hope is for some type of refinery perhaps in Kamloops where it wouldn't meet with the same type of zealot protests. Maybe that's the compromise to allow everyone to walk away with a modicum of face-saving.

He agrees Trudeau has shot himself in the foot being too much SJW and not a realist.

I asked him about KM threat to pull the plug and he feels they are serious and the first deadline is a tactic to get everyone to actually sit and talk but the next deadline will be the line in the sand as there is far too much money being made elsewhere with less environmental hoops to jump through...so if that's the case....thank you GreeNDP for making the planet that much worse...

• jonny likes this

#369 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

http://theprovince.c...source=Facebook

todays poll at the Province 68% in favor 32% against: 5,600 votes for, 2600 votes against

Edited by rjag, 19 April 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#370 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:53 PM

^Yes that may be true but Horgan's saving us from ourselves.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#371 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:09 PM

now 9400 in favor and 4200 against holding steady at 68% to 32%

That's a lot of votes. I wonder what the internal polling numbers are telling Horgan?

#372 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:35 PM

Victoria buzz also has a poll. Currently 53% for to 47% against with 4000 votes
https://m.facebook.c...126545880826277

#373 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:05 AM

Victoria buzz also has a poll. Currently 53% for to 47% against with 4000 votes
https://m.facebook.c...126545880826277

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2018.04.20-08-04-24.png

• RFS likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#374 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

A new poll says that BC residnets say if the courts say it's Canada's decision, 69% say we should let it happen.

Now if we can just get a Prime Minister who will actually get off his duff and do something, or can we expect more of his showing off his stupid socks and LGBT rallies.

Can't wait for the next provincial and federal elections, and if I lived in CoV, the next municipal election too

#375 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

Now if we can just get a Prime Minister who will actually get off his duff and do something, or can we expect more of his showing off his stupid socks and LGBT rallies.

Can't wait for the next provincial and federal elections, and if I lived in CoV, the next municipal election too

Trudeau has an ace for the next election. Guaranteed minimum income. Pot and 'equality' won him the younger demographic last time and the promise of money for doing nothing will appeal to the same group next time.

#376 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

In Trudeau's defense, what else can he do at this point? BC is intent on using "every tool in the toolbox" and litigating this thing to death. After almost a year in power, Horgan still apparently doesn't know what their reference question is that they want to refer to the courts. 

Don't get me wrong, Trudeau has made many mistakes on this file, from cancelling NEB approved Northern Gateway, to killing Energy East with those ridiculous upstream and downstream carbon emissions tests to undermining the NEB process. But, what other cards does Trudeau hold? Should he withold/cancel federal infrastructure funding to BC? That could backfire, badly. 

#377 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:03 AM

Trudeau could put it to a mail-in referendum in BC, using federal voters list.  Which it appears it would easily win.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 April 2018 - 08:04 AM.

#378 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:14 AM

I seldom agree with anything let alone everything that someone says. With that disclosure burped out there for all to ponder, the works of the late Rafe Mair are no exception to me.

Even though his ramblings at times seemed somewhat self serving, I always got a kick out of his unwavering charismatic use of his sword pen. He could enrage, humour, and please a reader all with the same sentence. Five months before his death in October of last year, he shared a few of his thoughts about Alberta Premier Rachel Notley and her beloved pipeline. 

His first sentence "You can go to hell, Rachel Notley." is just a primer. It's worth a read.

http://commonsenseca...ng-bc-pipeline/

• GabriolaGirl likes this

#379 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

In Trudeau's defense, what else can he do at this point? BC is intent on using "every tool in the toolbox" and litigating this thing to death. After almost a year in power, Horgan still apparently doesn't know what their reference question is that they want to refer to the courts. 

He can do this, but he's so scared of being a one-term loser that he won't.

Edited by Bob Fugger, 22 April 2018 - 10:44 AM.

#380 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:34 AM

Please move this if required.

BREAKING NEWS;

Pipeline protesters blocking employee entrance to CRA building on Vancouver. All employees told to leave and come back at 9.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 23 April 2018 - 06:35 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users