Alberta and BC politics

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

#421 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:44 PM

Mind you, to do that properly, you'd need to show them what the return would be if you had divested... those results may surprise you.

#422 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:04 PM

Mind you, to do that properly, you'd need to show them what the return would be if you had divested... those results may surprise you.

agreed its always easy in hindsight though. 

• lanforod likes this

#423 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:57 PM

For me I see beyond the supposed hypocrisy in this. Its pure optics. But...it also shows that when you take the emotion out of the equation and simply use the data for a business case that BC IMC realizes the potential for its clients.

If you took a poll of all the public sector workers whose pensions were affected here and provided them with a list of what BC IMC is invested in along with all the other Union pension plans and showed the 5 & 10 year returns on these investments you wouldn't hear too many folks saying 'divest'.

The only hypocrisy is the current government supposedly being for the union workers, while they're trying to torpedo their pension investments.
  • rjag likes this

#424 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:19 PM

I've seen very little benefit to unions yet from the GreenDP. However, all the big bargaining is coming up soon... guess we'll see. If PR were to pass in referendum though, I can see the Greens taking down the government as soon as PR is put in place.

• rjag likes this

#425 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:15 AM

Burnaby MP to quit, run for Vancouver mayor

Burnaby South MP Kennedy Stewart says he will resign his federal seat at the end of the current session. He's going to run for mayor in Vancouver as an independent candidate. Stewart was arrested along with Green Party Leader Elizabeth May in March for violating a court order related to the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#426 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

Ya know what Horgan should do is contact Trudeau and say BC will agree to have the pipeline built as long as Energy East pipeline comes to fruition.

It's for the good of the country after all, those easterners importing dirty foreign oil, tanker traffic up and down the St. Lawrence Seaway, a spill is inevitable.

• jonny, lanforod and Freedom57 like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#427 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

Elizabeth May is being charged criminally over her Burnaby protest.
  • Matt R. and RFS like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#428 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:32 AM

Elizabeth May is being charged criminally over her Burnaby protest.

MP and Vancouver mayor hopeful Kennedy Stewart has plead guilty to one count of criminal contempt

#429 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

.........Stewart has to pay at $500 fine by Friday. ..........

#430 Old Esquimalt

Old Esquimalt
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:17 PM

Maybe those US billionaires and trust funds who were funding so many of our "environmentalists" are involved?

It's  funny to see the NDP blocking the employment of hundreds, if not thousands of unionized workers, but they did it with the cancelled Spirit class ferries too.

Wazzup with that - they don't need the money? :squint:

#431 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

A small victory for KM: Supreme Court of BC has dismissed challenges by the City of Vancouver and Squamish FN. http://www.news1130....nges-dismissed/

#432 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

A small victory for KM: Supreme Court of BC has dismissed challenges by the City of Vancouver and Squamish FN. http://www.news1130....nges-dismissed/

Don't know why CoV has to write a cheque to KM and not the FN.

#433 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

Maybe those US billionaires and trust funds who were funding so many of our "environmentalists" are involved?

It's  funny to see the NDP blocking the employment of hundreds, if not thousands of unionized workers, but they did it with the cancelled Spirit class ferries too.

Wazzup with that - they don't need the money? :squint:

I have heard rumours from a few sources that the NDP are trying to recruit two Liberal MLAs to cross the floor so that they can terminate their agreement with the Greens and gracefully end the opposition to the pipeline. Sounds like Horgan is in a lose-lose right know with Premier Weaver holding the cards and calling the shots on this file. 

#434 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

Don't know why CoV has to write a cheque to KM and not the FN.

Kinder Morgan is entitled to costs from both.  

#435 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:47 PM

I have heard rumours from a few sources that the NDP are trying to recruit two Liberal MLAs to cross the floor so that they can terminate their agreement with the Greens and gracefully end the opposition to the pipeline. Sounds like Horgan is in a lose-lose right know with Premier Weaver holding the cards and calling the shots on this file. 

Well, Georgia Straight also said there was an attempt to bribe a couple NDPers over to the Liberals and end his government, period. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 May 2018 - 02:51 PM.

#436 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

Kinder Morgan is entitled to costs from both.  

The judge did not order costs in the FN case. It allowed the parties to come to their own arrangement.

#437 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

Well, Georgia Straight also said there was an attempt to bribe a couple NDPers over to the Liberals. 

I wasn't suggesting anything underhanded. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#438 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

Reading the case summary, it was an EXTREMELY BIG VICTORY for KM and other potential companies wishing to do business in Canada. The argument was over the duty to consult with FN and the judges ruling has set the bar as to how much consultation is required. Since the taxpayer using funds FN court cases anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if this was appealed. 

Edited by spanky123, 24 May 2018 - 02:51 PM.

#439 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:11 PM

The judge did not order costs in the FN case. It allowed the parties to come to their own arrangement.

KM is entitled to costs from the FN whether the judge orders it or not.  If they can't come to an agreement over how much the FN owes, Kinder Morgan can apply to the judge to make an order for costs and it will be higher because KM is required to go back to court to have the judge deal with it.  Its the same process with the CoV.

There's no practical difference between the CoV award and the FN award. 

Edited by m3m, 24 May 2018 - 03:11 PM.

#440 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:22 PM

There's no practical difference between the CoV award and the FN award. 

The only difference is that "CoV taxpayers are on the hook" makes for a better sound bite than "Squamish FN is on the hook"  :)

• m3m likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users