Alberta and BC politics

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

#121 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:33 AM

I think the biggest reason for our population to be concentrated along the border has to do with weather. The further south, the better the weather, in general.

The fairer winter weather is actually on the coasts.  There is lots of reasons why metropolitan areas build up where they do.  Oroville, Washington (pop. 1,686, income $22,301 per household) and Osoyoos, BC (pop. 5,085, income $43,764 per household) have the same weather, they share the very same lake.  But one (Osoyoos) is much more prosperous.   

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 March 2018 - 07:38 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#122 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:13 AM

And there is a reason why 80% of Canada's population straddles the American border.

and that's simply because of climate, the farther south you live the better it is.  are you moving to Whitehorse, I'm not!

• lanforod likes this

#123 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

Australia may be just fine without the US as a neighbour, but Australia is no Canada on so many levels.

And there is a reason why 80% of Canada's population straddles the American border.

Weather

#124 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

Weather

That accounts for some of it, not nearly all of it.

Canada+pop.gif

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#125 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:55 AM

wgm3l2image6.jpg

#126 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

The fairer winter weather is actually on the coasts.  There is lots of reasons why metropolitan areas build up where they do.  Oroville, Washington (pop. 1,686, income $22,301 per household) and Osoyoos, BC (pop. 5,085, income $43,764 per household) have the same weather, they share the very same lake.  But one (Osoyoos) is much more prosperous.   

Ha ha...I cleared customs into the USA through Oroville once...the customs agent held his pencil in a normal grip with one hand, and then used his index finger of the other hand to help him shape the letters.  I was impressed that they actually allowed him to carry the .45 in his holster.  So, there could be other reasons behind the income discrepancy...

Besides, aren't $22kUSD and $43kCAD pretty much the same nowadays?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#127 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

I suspect most of the population in Canada lives where it does because of the river network, since rivers were the primary transportation network prior to the railroad.  And then the railroad, since that took over from the rivers.  And then the road system, which followed the river and railroad networks, because that's where the people were.  The fact that many of our river systems feed into the Columbia, Missouri/Mississippi and St. Lawrence, all of which feed into places the US expanded into, might explain the correlation you see to us being mostly concentrated on the border.

Weather likely helped, but if you look at the major river networks, that explains places like Edmonton (which is not in a friendly climate).

• Mike K. and tjv like this

#128 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

^excellent point

I've said this to many people, if someone told me I had to leave Victoria its doubtful I would stay in Canada (and yes I was born and raised here).  Kelowna is a possibility, but other than that I would be headed south and that is solely based on climate

#129 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:08 AM

As per Keith Baldrey, the Federal Court of Appeal has dismissed BC's attempt to overturn the NEB ruling against the City of Burnaby. BC must pay legal costs.

#130 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

As per Keith Baldrey, the Federal Court of Appeal has dismissed BC's attempt to overturn the NEB ruling against the City of Burnaby. BC must pay legal costs.

The Court of Appeal actually declined to hear the government of BC's appeal. BC's argument was so weak they didn't even agree to hear it!

http://business.fina...-federal-court 

#131 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

Wow.

Trudeau really lucked out here. Zoinks...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#132 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:14 PM

Kinder Morgan has suspended "non essential" spend on the TM pipeline expansion project.

The reason cited is political risk and the ongoing inter governmental squabbling.

https://www.prnewswi...-300626072.html

Edited by jonny, 08 April 2018 - 01:17 PM.

• todd likes this

#133 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

Fantastic.

#134 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:10 PM

A big part of the imbalance is the fact that oil export by tanker faces serious opposition from environmental groups, who have expressed little concern over the harmful effects of oil presently imported by tanker. Ironically, if oil produced in Western Canada could be pipelined to Eastern Canada, the need for more expensive oil imports from overseas would drop to zero, and all those tankers coming through the Gulf of St. Lawrence could be completely eliminated. Food for thought.

http://www.oilsandsm...-oil-comes-from

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 April 2018 - 05:11 PM.

#135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:26 AM

“Previously, opposition by the Province of British Columbia was manifesting itself largely through BC's participation in an ongoing judicial review. Unfortunately BC has now been asserting broad jurisdiction and reiterating its intention to use that jurisdiction to stop the Project. BC's intention in that regard has been neither validated nor quashed, and the Province has continued to threaten unspecified additional actions to prevent Project success. Those actions have created even greater, and growing, uncertainty with respect to the regulatory landscape facing the Project. In addition, the parties still await judicial decisions on challenges to the original Order in Council and the BC Environmental Assessment Certificate approving the Project. These items, combined with the impending approach of critical construction windows, the lead-time required to ramp up spending, and the imperative that the company avoid incurring significant debt while lacking the necessary clarity, have brought KML to a decision point.“

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#136 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:33 AM

^ Is that a quote from a larger article that you can provide a link to?

#137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:41 AM

Oops, that’s Jonny’s link.

Know it all.

#138 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:37 AM

Now the Alberta NDP says they might take an equity stake in the pipeline.

#139 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

The GreeNDP supporters think they have won a victory and are clapping Horgan on the back and thanking him on behalf of the orcas etc....little do they know or understand that this sh!t just got real and its no victory.

KM is throwing down the gauntlet to JT and signaling publicly to get off his a$$ and stop with the platitudes and be a real leader and do his F^cking job instead of all the feminist gender bs that does SFA for our economy. If Kenny and Notley are on the same page and now SK are onboard, BC is in for a world of hurt.

• LJ and jonny like this

#140 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:35 AM

On our weekly CFAX segment we spent the entire hour talking about misinformation regarding the pipeline (being spread by activists), and how the misinformation goes unchecked by the media.

The reality is the average BC voter has been grossly misinformed by activists who are unwitting pawns of big business competing with Canadian oil. Host Adam Stirling said he wouldn’t be surprised if American oil firms are financially backing BC’s pipeline activists through a network of organizations.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users