Florida School shooting

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#1 SimonH

SimonH
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:40 PM

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-43066226

Big shoot out at school, approx 50 casualties.

Edit: now saying 14 casualties.

Edited by SimonH, 14 February 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#2 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Happens almost every day somewhere in the USA.

Less then 1% of people who own guns legally or illegally use them to commit crimes or acts of violence.

The rest use them for protection and to prevent crimes and acts of violence.

In the states that have open carry or even conceal carry laws, the rates of violent gun crimes are LOWER then the states that don't allow citizens to carry.

An Armed nations is a safe nation.

If I could walk around legally in Canada with gun on me for protection and crime prevention I most certainly would without even so much as a second thought.

For now in Canada we can have licenses to own pistols and hand guns, but the rules around them prevent you from carrying them on you for protection and crime prevention.

RIP to the victims of yet another shooting.

Edited by Star Dust, 14 February 2018 - 02:31 PM.

#3 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,681 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:21 PM

^ you contradict yourself; the USA has mass shootings daily, and major mass shootings like this one multiple times a year. It's quite rare here in Canada... yet you want to relax our laws so that we can have open and concealed carry? The US system is obviously broken, lets not emulate it.

• tedward, Greg, shoeflack and 4 others like this

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:43 PM

At least 16 dead. And the weapon of course was the AR-15, which is a great gun for mowing down children. There's none better. Affordable and light but enough power to really tear those little limbs apart. 

I mean, I guess it's a shame it has to happen but that's the price of freedom, right?

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,216 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

...Despite all the reasonable concerns in the United States about jihadist terrorism, in any given year Americans are almost 2,000 times more likely to be killed by a fellow American armed with a gun than by a jihadist terrorist...

https://www.cnn.com/...rgen/index.html

But you know, travel bans and border walls.  :whyme:

#6 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:54 PM

17 dead kids.

When it comes to guns and gun laws, the U.S. is a massive, festering boil of death and destruction.

• Nparker, Greg and 57WestHills like this

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:40 PM

In terms of firearm deaths per firearm in the country, the US is behind countries like Japan, Belgium, Poland, Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland, Finland and Denmark.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 February 2018 - 04:40 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,216 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

In terms of firearm deaths per firearm in the country, the US is behind countries like Japan, Belgium, Poland, Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland, Finland and Denmark.  

But per capita the deaths in the US are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH higher.

• johnk, shoeflack, 57WestHills and 1 other like this

#9 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 1,565 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:45 PM

Is this meant to be in the /sarcasm font? Because... all this says is that firearms are easy to access in the USA, and that the rate of gun ownership and number of guns owned by a single person in the USA may be statistically high.

• Nparker, lanforod and shoeflack like this

#10 johnk

johnk
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

per firearm? They have more guns in private hands than just about anywhere so IMO that stat is somewhat dubious. No one knows how many guns are out there in America, so many are legal or unregistered. Gun killings per 100,000 might be a more credible figure.
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:56 PM

No, not meant as sarcasm.  But look, the firearm death rate is statistically insignificant in the US.  You are 18x more likely to die by some type of accident, including a car crash.  5x more likely to die of a drug overdose. 

Pedestrian deaths are at about the same killer rate.  Easy to solve, right?  Ban walking.

You are almost 130x more likely to die of cancer or heart disease, than by gun.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 February 2018 - 05:01 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 johnk

johnk
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

Star Dust,
what are you so frightened about in this country that you want to walk around with a gun? Must be awful, and somewhat humiliating, to be walking around wearing soiled underpants.
  • Rob Randall, Bingo, satellite and 2 others like this

#13 SimonH

SimonH
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

Happens almost every day somewhere in the USA.

Less then 1% of people who own guns legally or illegally use them to commit crimes or acts of violence.

The rest use them for protection and to prevent crimes and acts of violence.

In the states that have open carry or even conceal carry laws, the rates of violent gun crimes are LOWER then the states that don't allow citizens to carry.

An Armed nations is a safe nation.

If I could walk around legally in Canada with gun on me for protection and crime prevention I most certainly would without even so much as a second thought.

For now in Canada we can have licenses to own pistols and hand guns, but the rules around them prevent you from carrying them on you for protection and crime prevention.

RIP to the victims of yet another shooting.

Oh dear.......

• satellite, nagel and Cassidy like this

#14 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

That's a stat that means absolutely nothing.

The ridiculousness of that stat begins in Japan, where they've essentially outlawed all guns with the exception of air guns, and shot guns ... and even those two are almost impossible to get.

So you have Japan with zero guns, and the U.S. with tens of millions of guns ... and then present a "deaths per firearm" stat?

All you'd need in Japan is a few murders country-wide in any given year, and your "stat" would ring true ... but in reality it would mean absolutely nothing.

• nagel likes this

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:27 PM

What's a better use of resources?  Reducing the number of guns, and in so doing, reducing the gun death rate, or making vehicles more safe, and educating people on how to combat heart disease?

It seems to me there would be little resistance to the last two.  Why not start there and save so many, many more lives?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 February 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#16 catfluff

catfluff
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

Whenever discussions about gun use in the US comes up, I refer to this sobering website: www.gunviolencearchive.org

To date this year: 6,535 gun incidents

Number of Deaths: 1,817

45 days into 2018.

• sebberry likes this

#17 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:53 PM

What's a better use of resources?  Reducing the number of guns, and in so doing, reducing the gun death rate, or making vehicles more safe, and educating people on how to combat heart disease?

It seems to me there would be little resistance to the last two.  Why not start there and save so many, many more lives?

The real solution is to put more LEGAL Guns into the hands of law abiding citizens to counter the minority that use them for criminal activity.

Criminals will always, and I mean always be in possession of Illegal firearms. No law, no regulation will ever stop the flow of illegal firearms into the hands of the people who use them for violent crimes or robberies etc.

So to curb the Gun Crime rate.....the answer is simple. Put a gun into the hand of the law abiding citizen so when that criminal shows up with his guns to kill people or to commit a violent crime he is going to have a gun looking right back at him. The stats in the USA for states that have open carry or conceal carry prove that this model works.

An illustration of this would be take that Mass Shooting in the movie theatre in the USA a few years back. If even 5 people in that theatre were armed with a personal fire arm, the gunman would have been likely been dropped within seconds, significantly reducing the death toll of the innocent citizens that were killed.

Until we can get every adult citizen in North America screened, armed, and then licensed to carry firearms,  these random mass shootings will continue, random Islamic terror attacks upon people (like the man in England who was charged by a man yelling Allah Akbar with a knife and was then decapitated  right on the sidewalk in broad daylight) in cities will continue etc.. Their is only one thing these criminals understand when using guns or weapons to attack people........Another gun looking right back at them.

Edited by Star Dust, 14 February 2018 - 06:01 PM.

#18 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

Whenever discussions about gun use in the US comes up, I refer to this sobering website: www.gunviolencearchive.org

To date this year: 6,535 gun incidents

Number of Deaths: 1,817

45 days into 2018.

And a good percentage of those 1,817 deaths caused by guns  could have been prevented If the victims had been armed with a firearm to shoot back at their attacker.

Remember no amount of Law or Legislation in the USA will ever stop or prevent the flow of illegal guns into the hands of criminals. So the most effective way to counter the problem is for everyone to be able to shoot back when and if they are attacked.

An armed nation is a safe nation.

Edited by Star Dust, 14 February 2018 - 06:00 PM.

#19 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:14 PM

Well there is today's useless stat of the day....
  • VicHockeyFan, satellite and nagel like this

#20 On the Level

On the Level
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:21 PM

And a good percentage of those 1,817 deaths caused by guns  could have been prevented If the victims had been armed with a firearm to shoot back at their attacker.

Remember no amount of Law or Legislation in the USA will ever stop or prevent the flow of illegal guns into the hands of criminals. So the most effective way to counter the problem is for everyone to be able to shoot back when and if they are attacked.

An armed nation is a safe nation.

You'll just end up with more dead civilians from the crossfire.  I for one don't have a problem with people owning guns for hunting, but anyone trying to get their hands on an AR-15 should be a warning sign.   The only purpose for a civilian to own a semi auto like the AR-15 with high capacity magazines is to kill the largest number of civilians as possible.

Fact-check:
• Mass shootings stopped by armed civilians in the past 33 years: 0
• Chances that a shooting in a hospital emergency department involves guns taken from guards: 1 in 5
• For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home.

• tedward and Midnightly like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.