Florida School shooting

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#261 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,662 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

The guns used in crimes in Canada are illegally acquired. We can strengthen regulations as much as we want but the criminal element will find a way to acquire restricted or illegal weapons. The only solution is extremely harsh punishment for gun-related criminal activity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#262 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,014 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

^ you didn't even read the articles, did you? A lot of the mass shootings are with legal weapons.

Certainly, the gang war ones are mostly illegal, I'm sure.

Still, when all gun homicides in Canada combined is < gun homicides in one US city... Sure, we have problem to deal with, but its nothing compared to the problem the US has. Toronto has a big problem, which in part seems related to their poorly managed, understaffed police. Tory needs to wake up.

#263 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,662 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

I’m referring specifically to the criminal element. That makes up the majority of homicides with firearms.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#264 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,588 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

But that's not the case in every state. In five states and the District of Columbia, out-of-state gun purchases accounted for at least half of all recovered crime guns from 2012 to 2016. In New Jersey, 79 percent of recovered guns were purchased out of state. The rate was 70 percent for New York, 60 percent for Massachusetts, 53 percent for Hawaii and 50 percent for Illinois.

Out-of-state crime guns tend to be purchased in states adjacent to where they're recovered, particularly if those neighboring states have looser gun laws. To see where these interstate crime guns are disproportionately likely to be purchased, we can look at the rate of guns trafficked out of state per 100,000 people. This is preferable to using raw numbers of trafficked guns because it corrects for population differences between states.

There's a wide variation in rates of gun trafficking between states. Places like Mississippi, West Virginia and Alaska, which have some of the most permissive gun laws in the country, exported more than 200 crime guns for every 100,000 residents between 2012 and 2016.

Compare those figures to ones from a state like Connecticut, which exported 13 crime guns per 100,000 residents, or New York, which exported 15 crime guns per 100,000. In short, a gun bought in a place like Mississippi or West Virginia is more than 10 times as likely to be used in an out-of-state crime as a gun bought in Connecticut or New York.

There's a substantial correlation between the strength of a state's gun laws and whether it's a net importer or exporter of crime guns. States like California, New York, Illinois and Maryland have some of the toughest gun laws in the nation. They're also magnets for crime guns purchased out of state.

3HFNFIYSWU42VMJIXFKH2OJCNM.png

YQQTXGPDWQ6GLMM6WUWOZCRK6Y.png

4H7OHBYLRA7PRMZLHWMIOFEKBA.png

https://www.washingt...uns-nationwide/

#265 LJ

LJ
  • 8,802 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:32 PM

The Florida state legislators passed a minor gun law today, increasing the age limit and background checks and 3 day waiting period, but you can still buy an AR15.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#266 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,448 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:43 AM

^and the NRA is suing already.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#267 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:52 AM

Ya I’m unclear why they are doing that. 21 seems reasonable.
  • sdwright.vic likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,662 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:01 AM

Probabaly the same reason why Hollywood movies continue to promote extreme gun violence and criminality while the actors who play gun toting villains preech gun control off stage.

Know it all.

#269 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

Ya I’m unclear why they are doing that. 21 seems reasonable.

Because the NRA cannot let stand anything that threatens their position.

I suppose it's similar to trademark law.  If you don't aggressively pursue your trade mark, before you know it people are asking you to pass the kleenex (rather than Kleenex™ or facial tissues).

If this law stands in Florida, why, other places might do the same thing and before you know it, gun violence ... I mean, gun sales in America might decrease!

#270 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 1,989 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

^ I forget where I saw it and who said it, but someone made a tongue-in-cheek remark that the NRA insistence that an armed citizen can prevent an armed attacker just sounds like they're trying to sell two guns

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#271 On the Level

On the Level
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

I wonder if we will end up with more kids getting accidentally shot by teachers than by gunmen.

https://globalnews.c...-gun-classroom/

#272 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:38 PM

I wonder if we will end up with more kids getting accidentally shot by teachers than by gunmen.

https://globalnews.c...-gun-classroom/

Oh, come on, 20% of all firearms injuries are accidental.  Cops mistakenly shoot people all the time too.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 March 2018 - 03:38 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#273 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 1,989 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

^ They also intentionally shoot people all the time, such as school employees who have declared they are in possession of a licensed firearm

#274 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

I know. You gun control guys could likely make an argument that cops shoul not carry except in SWAT Team like situations.

#275 On the Level

On the Level
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:08 PM

He was a pretty good shot too...taking out 3 kids at gun class.

#276 On the Level

On the Level
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

I'm certainly not advocating that we take guns away from the police or SWAT.

I just think it's common sense that the more guns you add to the school system the more likely someone will get shot. What next, arming the students so they can defend themselves from rouge or incompetent teachers?

#277 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

I know. You gun control guys could likely make an argument that cops shoul not carry except in SWAT Team like situations.

Seems to work in the UK?

#278 RFS

RFS
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

https://globalnews.c...l-shooting/amp/

Armed school resource personnel shoots and kills student gun man preventing any further injuries or deaths

#279 RFS

RFS
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:24 AM

Seems to work in the UK?

Does it?
https://youtu.be/dmTNZfR4dNw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users