• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:37 PM

• Mass shootings stopped by armed civilians in the past 33 years: 0

How many ended when cops showed up - with guns in hand?  By suicide or otherwise?

Why do we as mostly Canadians feel we need to continually weigh in on domestic US policy?  Gun homocide deaths are far more rampant in Mexico, but nobody seems to shake their heads about our other neighbour's domestic guns issue.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 February 2018 - 06:55 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

Mexico is essentially a failed state largely comprised of wonderful people who have been completely and utterly abandoned by their government and by their law enforcement (at every level).

• Gun homicide in Mexico is 100% tied to the  drug cartels that run the country, and the realities of living in a failed state.
  • Gun homicide in the U.S. is tied to poverty and the rampant availability of guns on every street corner in the nation.

I see a major difference between the two.

• Nparker likes this

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

But why not ban guns in Mexico then, that'll fix it, right?  Like Democrats want to do in the US.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 todd

todd
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:42 PM

Lot of street corners in the US.

#25 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,145 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:05 PM

What's a better use of resources?  Reducing the number of guns, and in so doing, reducing the gun death rate, or making vehicles more safe, and educating people on how to combat heart disease?

It seems to me there would be little resistance to the last two.  Why not start there and save so many, many more lives?

All of those are important and I suspect that more resources is actually going into those than reducing the gun death rate in every country except the US. Gun death rate in 1st world countries is really only an issue in the US, and the root cause is simply TOO many guns.

The US is rather hypocritical in preventing other countries from having nukes, when they won't even prevent their own citizens from having a firearm on a micro scale. Using the same arguments, every country should be allowed nukes for self defense.

Edited by lanforod, 14 February 2018 - 08:07 PM.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:10 PM

and the root cause is simply TOO many guns.

I was mocked for providing a stat that showed the exact opposite.  The few guns in Japan are creating more carnage per gun than the many in the US.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 February 2018 - 08:10 PM.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:12 PM

Using the same arguments, every country should be allowed nukes for self defense.

The US is fine with sane countries having nukes.  Israel, UK, France, China, Russia, Pakistan, India etc.  Iran and N. Korea are less trustworthy with them.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 February 2018 - 08:13 PM.

#28 RFS

RFS
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:52 PM

You can ban guns all you want but it isn't going to solve the problem. In todays world our schools and societies are low trust, low communal where everything is based on hyper materialism and "diversity is our strength". Trust me this is why we didn't have this problem when young boys were taught by men they had to respect and where they were given an outlet for their rage and violence rather than being taught about toxic masculinity.
The only reason why this is more of a problem in America than the rest of the world is because even in 2018 Americans are DOERS and take everything to the absolute extreme, even being violent loners
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,840 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:57 PM

Trust me this is why we didn't have this problem when young boys were taught by men they had to respect and where they were given an outlet for their rage and violence rather than being taught about toxic masculinity.

Sorry, what was that "outlet for their rage" that we don't have anymore?

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

Go carts!
  • Rob Randall likes this

#31 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:05 PM

But why not ban guns in Mexico then, that'll fix it, right?  Like Democrats want to do in the US.

Gun ownership in Mexico is as restrictive as it is in Canada.

Like many Canadians, even though Mexicans can own limited types and calibers of firearms ... very few "normal" Mexicans choose to own firearms at all.

#32 RFS

RFS
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:01 PM

Sorry, what was that "outlet for their rage" that we don't have anymore?

Corporal punishment, Fighting, demanding manhood and responsibility, pride in nation and identity, religion etc etc. The modern world has destroyed all pathogens and now these shootings are the immune system attacking itself

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,307 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:05 PM

#34 RFS

RFS
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:07 PM

Gun ownership in Mexico is as restrictive as it is in Canada.

Like many Canadians, even though Mexicans can own limited types and calibers of firearms ... very few "normal" Mexicans choose to own firearms at all.

Many, many "normal" Canadians own firearms.

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,840 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:51 PM

Corporal punishment, Fighting, demanding manhood and responsibility, pride in nation and identity, religion etc etc. The modern world has destroyed all pathogens and now these shootings are the immune system attacking itself

I believe the opposite is true: Men are broken because we are locked into rigid, outdated models of masculinity. 

I think women are experiencing an awakening: not only are they being encouraged that they can achieve their dreams, they realize they can do it without having to put up with some guy's hand up their skirt. 

• tedward likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#36 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:22 PM

Many, many "normal" Canadians own firearms.

30 out of 100 Canadians own firearms.
Not exactly “many, many”.

(And eminently debatable if they’re all “normal”)

Edited by Cassidy, 14 February 2018 - 11:23 PM.

#37 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:26 PM

I was mocked for providing a stat that showed the exact opposite.  The few guns in Japan are creating more carnage per gun than the many in the US.

I hope you didn’t take my post as “mocking” ... I certainly didn’t intend it to read that way.

I just hate both guns and jiggery-pokery stats.

#38 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:43 PM

You'll just end up with more dead civilians from the crossfire.  I for one don't have a problem with people owning guns for hunting, but anyone trying to get their hands on an AR-15 should be a warning sign.   The only purpose for a civilian to own a semi auto like the AR-15 with high capacity magazines is to kill the largest number of civilians as possible.

Fact-check:
• Mass shootings stopped by armed civilians in the past 33 years: 0
• Chances that a shooting in a hospital emergency department involves guns taken from guards: 1 in 5
• For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home.

I don't support citizens owning AR-15's.  Just Hand Guns.  That's good enough.

With less then 1 % of people who own guns legally or illegally that use them for Violent Crimes, if everyone who passed government screening could carry a firearm the that less then 1% would be heavily  outnumbered.  So outnumbered that gun crime rates would drastically drop (as they have in states that have carry laws)

And the bonus is that scum bag criminals would be getting dropped left right and centre taking them out of the population.

Paul Kersey had the right idea .(if you know what I mean)

• Star Dust likes this

#39 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,523 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:23 AM

Sorry empathy and compassion are the human characteristics that most (98%*) are born with. Humans are not born with religion.

*usual
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:28 AM

Humans are not born with religion but I think many ancient civilizations developed one or more independently so sonething leads is to it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users