Photo

Point to Point speed enforcement on the Malahat?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,273 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

That's why you take your ticket to court (which most people don't) if you think you are in the right and the cop was in the wrong.

No, that's how you waste the court's time and the taxpayer's money.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,273 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:42 PM

If I spent that much time in traffic court my licence, my car, my job and my relationship would have been long gone.

And I'm sure there's some sort of a ticket for that, too. 4-in-1 is a pretty good achievement if you can pull it off. Makes for great stories.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:49 PM

No, that's how you waste the court's time and the taxpayer's money.

No way, If you get a ticket and you think that ticket is wrong......it is your democratic  and constitutional right to dispute that ticket in a court of law. That's why the courts are there.

Imagine if everyone simply had to pay every ticket they were issued, even if the ticket was illegally issued. That would not be a fair system.

Hundreds of people if not thousands of people all over Canada have their tickets dismissed every year in Canadian Courts by disputing the tickets and proving to a judge that the ticket is invalid or was illegally issued.

I have had a couple of tickets dismissed in traffic court because I was able to prove to the judge that the police officer who issued it was in the wrong. It's Democracy in action.

Democracy is definitely not a waste of taxpayer's money.

Edited by Star Dust, 15 February 2018 - 05:56 PM.

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,273 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

So after writing a thousand word essay on how to avoid paying for parking tickets, suddenly you care about a fair system when it comes to traffic tickets?

Geez Louise...

Know it all.

#25 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

That's not how it went down when I was in Traffic Court and the Cop had to PROVE to the judge that his radar gun was calibrated properly and recorded the correct speed when someone in the court was disputing a speeding ticket.

The judge made it perfectly clear that a RECORDED SPEED must be documented to issue a person a speeding ticket. Without that number, you can't find a person guilty of speeding, just as you can't find a person guilty of a crime if the evidence doesn't support the charge.

Again incorrect. It's hard for me to respond in a way because you're saying a law that exists doesn't exist.. there's an element of truth to what you're saying insofar as if radar was used in your case there is an on us on the Police to demonstrate it was calibrated. And same for laser which is a lot more common on the Island.

However, there's a few other techniques of which one is a visual speed estimate. Certainly can be dicey for Court but what you're posting is perhaps law in other jurisdiction but definitely not here. Moreover in short bursts measuring the time a vehicle takes to cross a space is already accepted under the MVA, however in that case it's like ten meters rather than a hundred kilometers haha.
  • lanforod likes this

#26 LJ

LJ
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

All they need is to have a couple of police vehicles driving back and forth on the Malahat at the speed limit. Nobody is going to go by them and everybody pays attention to what they are doing. It doesn't have to be a policeman driving the vehicle, any minimum wage person could do it. They would have no policing powers of course but they could phone the real police if there was a problem.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#27 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,181 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:37 PM

All they need is to have a couple of police vehicles driving back and forth on the Malahat at the speed limit.

If they did that, IRSU wouldn't reach their performance targets of immediate roadside convictions of excessive speeders.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#28 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

If people can put dummies in their cars and drive the hov lanes
why can’t we put a few dummies in a stationary cop car with speed guns .
Other than being hilariously funny it might slow a few cars down especially if it’s moved every few hours .
  • rjag likes this

#29 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,089 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:15 AM

^ people do get caught and ticketed for that.  I've been pulled over when I had 2 people in the car because the passenger was reclined and sleeping. 

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

If people can put dummies in their cars and drive the hov lanes
why can’t we put a few dummies in a stationary cop car with speed guns .
Other than being hilariously funny it might slow a few cars down especially if it’s moved every few hours .

No dummy in car, but Saanich PD used to place extra vehicles in gas station parking lots around graduation time to scare us lol.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

So you enter the Malahat in Goldstream Park and proceed to rip it up at double the posted limit to the Summit where you stop, have a smoke and enjoy the view. After your 10 minute break, you tear down to Mill Bay at twice the limit again but in the eyes of average speed cameras, you have not broken any laws. 

The system works!  :thumbsup:

• VicHockeyFan, rjag, sebberry and 2 others like this

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:31 AM

So you enter the Malahat in Goldstream Park and proceed to rip it up at double the posted limit to the Summit where you stop, have a smoke and enjoy the view. After your 10 minute break, you tear down to Mill Bay at twice the limit again but in the eyes of average speed cameras, you have not broken any laws. 

The system works!  :thumbsup:

That's fine, but less than .00001% of speeding drivers will do this.  They are speeding to get to Duncan, Cowichan, wherever faster, they are not people that stop at the viewpoint.

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#33 RPPB

RPPB
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:42 AM

The average speed cameras in the UK can be as close as 200m apart, and there are often multiple sets installed in a zone with one undisclosed pair active at any given time.
  • VicHockeyFan and lanforod like this

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

I just don't think we need to do that here.  Unless Shawnigan Lake speeders are the "problem".  If most speeders go both up and down the hill, we just need the 2 sets.

#35 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,089 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

Just need 1 pair each direction in a section where there is no pullouts, in addition to an end to end pair. Shrug. 

#36 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,181 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

A caller into CFAX today stated that she knows someone who caused a fatal crash on the Malahat due to texting behind the wheel.

Photo enforcement catches drivers on their phones?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:04 AM

A caller into CFAX today stated that she knows someone who caused a fatal crash on the Malahat due to texting behind the wheel.

Photo enforcement catches drivers on their phones?

Nope.

Q:  What happened with out-of-country or out-of-province plates caught on photo-radar?  Or red-light cameras?

Has anyone ever seen a Mexican or South American plate up here?  Europe, Asia?  Are they legal on our streets?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 February 2018 - 11:06 AM.

#38 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,089 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

I've seen Guatamala before.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#39 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

Nope.

Q:  What happened with out-of-country or out-of-province plates caught on photo-radar?  Or red-light cameras?

Has anyone ever seen a Mexican or South American plate up here?  Europe, Asia?  Are they legal on our streets?

Yes, and i have seen European plates in Victoria (a German RV).

• VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this

#40 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

If you don't want a ticket, it's pretty simple (NSFW language):

https://www.youtube....h?v=BJF-wVW1F2o

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users