The Bay Centre | Downtown Victoria

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#181 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 09:55 PM

State of the art washrooms? 🤪

^For some reason Nparker seems to object to the idea. I think it will be a nice change.

Flush toilets sound altogether too colonial and settler-ish for my liking.

#182 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 11:13 PM

Good point. Instead of a flush sound maybe toilets should make an applause sound or a foghorn sound. Or a car crash sound. That would be cool.

• Nparker likes this

#183 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 11:25 PM

Sonic boom. 100%.

#184 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:51 AM

Toilets make a four minute speech from Lisa Helps as soon as you get in.

#185 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 09:57 AM

That would certainly encourage people to get in-and-out as quickly as possible.

• aastra likes this

#186 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 10:36 AM

The Body Shop and L'Occitane are now gone.

I think The Body Shop has been there since the early days, no? I recall it being a part of the mall since the early 2000s, at least.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#187 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 11:58 AM

I counted 14 closed spaces, plus a service Canada space on the third floor that used to be a retail space, so 15 fewer retailers in brick and mortar units.

Not good.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#188 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 02:35 PM

I would not be surprised that the Dollar store is the main tenant there one day.

#189 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 06:36 AM

Some good opportunity here for a larger retail tenant. Three units in a row are vacant plus the recently closed Body Shop at left, with Aveda between it and three vacant units. H&R has a temp tax office in one of the units.

This is the main floor, as you walk into the mall to your left. Opposite this is the empty L’Occitane space.

IMG_9552.jpeg

Know it all.

#190 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 07:46 AM

Does anybody recall that, when the Bay/Eatons Centre was constructed, they were obliged to keep the doors open for the public to transit between the North/South portion of the mall that used to be Broad Street?

I'm wondering if it's just me with a false memory, or whether this obligation was codified into a City of Victoria by-law?

I recall walking through the mall on the way to work around 7:30am in the morning, and the doors being open. 

Now there are security guards preventing people from walking through, and indeed kicking people out at 7:30am, even though the doors are unlocked and open.

I'm well dressed, and very obviously on my way to work.

The signs on the North/South doors on View and Fort that say "Doors Must Not Be Locked" are still in place, which my hazy memory recalled meaning that the doors had to be kept open for public access from early morning until evening, as if Broad Street was still fully walkable from North to South.

#191 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,971 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 07:51 AM

Does anybody recall that, when the Bay/Eatons Centre was constructed, they were obliged to keep the doors open for the public to transit between the North/South portion of the mall that used to be Broad Street?

I'm wondering if it's just me with a false memory, or whether this obligation was codified into a City of Victoria by-law?

I recall walking through the mall on the way to work around 7:30am in the morning, and the doors being open. 

Now there are security guards preventing people from walking through, and indeed kicking people out at 7:30am, even though the doors are unlocked and open.

The signs on the North/South doors on View and Fort that say "Doors Must Not Be Locked" are still in place, which my hazy memory recalled meaning that the doors had to be kept open for public access from early morning until evening, as if Broad Street was still fully walkable from North to South.

Your memory is accurate.

I'm sure it's a nightmare keeping the homeless out.

Not sure the exact hours they were obligated to keep the doors open.  But it was more than "mall hours".

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 May 2023 - 07:52 AM.

#192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 10:18 AM

There’s also some form of access for the gym, I thought?

Know it all.

#193 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 06:27 PM

Yes, your memory is correct! Mall cops should just let you through, and not bother you if you aren’t bothering them.

Also, pop up arcade coming!

“They are teaming up with Quazar’s to bring in a wide variety of arcade games that people can play any time of the day during the shopping centre’s hours of operation.”

https://www.victoria...neR04vGGgCvtqVI
  • Ismo07 likes this

#194 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 10:30 PM

Maybe the city can donate the $5000 ping pong table to the arcade.
  • Matt R. likes this

#195 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:21 AM

Yes, your memory is correct! Mall cops should just let you through, and not bother you if you aren’t bothering them.

Also, pop up arcade coming!

“They are teaming up with Quazar’s to bring in a wide variety of arcade games that people can play any time of the day during the shopping centre’s hours of operation.”

https://www.victoria...neR04vGGgCvtqVI

poor Bay Centre.

looks sadder every time I'm in there.

• Nparker likes this

#196 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:52 AM

Well there are a bunch of machines that were at the Powerstation that could use a home!

#197 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 10:11 AM

These folks are still opening a new arcade downtown I think, somewhere on Yates.

#198 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 10:15 AM

They had 3 downtown, Powerstation, Quazars and a location on Yates. Only the Quazars location is still open AFAIK.

#199 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 10:18 AM

I think the Yates one is yet to open, I don’t think they even said where it was aside from a teaser.

#200 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 10:31 AM

There is likely some sort of agreement/easement for this.  I'll look into it...  It's not 24 hours but it is longer than mall hours I think.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users