- - - - -

The Bay Centre | Downtown Victoria

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#201 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 10:45 AM

I saw that HBC is again reducing a lot of its head office staff. It might be signaling major store closures.

#202 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 10:54 AM

I saw that HBC is again reducing a lot of its head office staff. It might be signaling major store closures.

That closure would actually have an affect on downtown like when Eaton's closed.  Not all the other small things people say.  It would be dramatic.

#203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 07:40 AM

Yeah, but think of the how cool an arcade could be in that space!  :rtfm:

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#204 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 06:17 AM

After a good conversation with both a City of Victoria By-Law Officer, a City of Victoria Zoning Dept rep, and the Manager of the Bay Centre Mall itself, it's apparent that the original zoning covenant is 100% still in place, and the mall must provide access for pedestrians to cross what would have been Broad Street back in the day, and do so outside of the Malls regular operating hours.

The Bay Centre Mall Manager was disappointed to hear of the security guards rude and abusive misapplication of the By-Law in my case, and he put the entire incident down to very poor training on the part of the malls contracted security company.

The threat of a contracted security guard going "hands on" a pedestrian accessing the Bay Centre Mall within the provisions of a City of Victoria By-Law opens the door to major litigation that the mall would have zero chance of defending.

All to say the Bay Centre Mall needs to call its contracted security company to task, and do a much better job of monitoring the quality of the contracted security companies services to the mall, and their treatment of the malls patrons.

As for the contracted security company, they obviously have a multitude of issues related to poorly trained and unprofessional employees who are overly aggressive, uninformed, and potentially violent. 

Not a great look for the Bay Centre Mall in a time when malls everywhere (especially in a downtown core) need all the patron activity they can get.

Edited by Blair M., 14 May 2023 - 06:19 AM.

#205 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 06:28 AM

Percentage of mall security staff that would even understand "zoning covenant" is likely in the high single percentages.

I was going to say, "isn't the mall manager a woman?"

But it looks like DH has moved on:

https://ca.linkedin....lstein-361a2625

Or maybe not:

screenshot-www.thebaycentre.ca-2023.05.14-10_32_53.png

https://www.thebaycentre.ca/leasing/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 May 2023 - 06:33 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#206 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 06:40 AM

The chap I spoke with was identified as the "mall manager", whatever that might imply, and he was very professional and understanding despite the subject matter.

I imagine they have more than a few different managers in a few different departments though, LaSalle Investment Management is a huge company.

#207 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 07:18 AM

The execution of the Broad Street passage through the Victoria Eaton Centre/Bay Centre has been a mess since before construction of the mall even started.

I still miss the little plaza and overhead walkway that made up the old Broad Street crossing between the two halves of the Eatons store. Of course, I can only imagine what sort of homeless/addict cesspool this space would have become today.

#208 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 07:12 PM

I am really glad to hear that someone has tested the covenant! What are the required hours for access?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#209 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 05:19 AM

Cap Daily:

Bay Centre launches late nights

Why is everyone rediscovering the Bay Centre this summer? With warmer days and longer summer nights, there is more time to rediscover your local favourites.

The Bay Centre is now open until 8pm Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Plus, this summer, get 3-hours of free parking on weekends, and park for free weekdays after 5pm.

With over 80 shops, a third of which are proudly locally owned, the Bay Centre is yours to rediscover. Where city life meets shopping comfort.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 July 2023 - 05:19 AM.

#210 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 09:41 AM

I have no idea how the Bay Center stays in business. 

• Nparker, AllseeingEye and Dr. Barillas like this

#211 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 10:09 AM

I’m trying to remember when I last went to the Bay Centre. Maybe 5 years ago?

#212 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 10:11 AM

Not much attracting locals there.

#213 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 12:50 PM

It is very much geared to cruise ship traffic now.

Should VV offer the mall some hype on the socials?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#214 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 01:56 PM

Today I learned the terrace is available for private events and Earl’s does the catering. That would be a nice venue!

#215 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 11:58 PM

More than a decade after Zellers closed its last stores on the Island, pop-up versions of the popular retailer will return this summer.

Parent company HBC announced the pop-ups will open inside Hudson’s Bay Co. stores at the Bay Centre in downtown Victoria and Woodgrove Centre in Nanaimo by Aug. 11.

https://www.timescol...-stores-7294644

screenshot-www.timescolonist.com-2023.07.19-03_57_43.png

#216 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 05:27 AM

The Sunglass Hut within The Bay has closed.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#217 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 10:47 AM

Pretty soon the only brick and mortar left will be booze slinging resto-bars. And Walmart.
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#218 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 11:04 AM

And gyms.

#219 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 11:05 AM

Wouldn’t know about that.

#220 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 11:07 AM

I've walked past a lot of them.  ;)  

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users