• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 May 2023 - 07:30 AM

For $2M perhaps but not $9M. 

As a taxpayer, I agree. However, Saanich is also the one holding the value of this land down by recommending it stay in the ALR. Its value would be in the 8 figures if they'd pushed to take it out of ALR.

Either we have a housing crisis, or we don't. Really need to stop being disingenuous about land that is in the ALR and is not being used for food crops!

PS. I'm a golfer. It was a sad day for me when this course closed. I'd love for it to return. However thats probably not the best use of this land.

Edited by lanforod, 11 May 2023 - 07:31 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 07:41 AM

Either we have a housing crisis, or we don't. Really need to stop being disingenuous about land that is in the ALR and is not being used for food crops!

:wave:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 07:44 AM

As a taxpayer, I agree. However, Saanich is also the one holding the value of this land down by recommending it stay in the ALR. Its value would be in the 8 figures if they'd pushed to take it out of ALR.

PS. I'm a golfer. It was a sad day for me when this course closed. I'd love for it to return. However thats probably not the best use of this land.

Not disagreeing on the need for housing but the developers who bought the land knew the rules. They gambled and lost. 

• GaryOak likes this

#64 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 07:37 PM

Were there any covenants in place to restrict building, or just the fact it was in the ALR?

I imagine all the people who bought units in the surrounding buildings were made promises.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#65 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 08:45 PM

Methinks an easy and sensible way to proceed would be to allow redevelopment on the space formerly occupied by the clubhouse and parking lot. You could fit the two Lyra-on-Christmas Hill buildings there. There would be no loss of precious ALR, so we'd all enjoy a collective sigh of relief about that. Then the rest of the property could be re-purposed for raising hogs. If people are sincere* about their concerns then everyone should be perfectly satisfied, right?

Seriously though, are we saying they would not be allowed to revive the golf course and also redevelop the clubhouse and parking lot as part of that revival? Building a new clubhouse complex into a tall tower seems like it could work.

*I'm thinking maybe they aren't

#66 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:08 AM

Driving range on the roof. $10k prize if you drive into Beaver Lake.

#67 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,345 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:16 AM

Why not attract the troublesome Canada Geese that are wrecking local farms, to this area and then have people pay to fire golf balls at them to kill them?

If it works, we can do the same to cull problem deer.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2023 - 10:17 AM.

#68 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 07:43 PM

I have hit deer with golf balls, they barely look up. But then I don't hit the golf balls very hard. Pellet gun gets them moving tho.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 09:52 PM

$10k prize if you drive into Beaver Lake.

Mike K. would get the money because he's already done it a couple of times. With the same vehicle.

#70 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 09:54 PM

I have hit deer with golf balls, they barely look up. But then I don't hit the golf balls very hard.

I'm glad to hear you don't hit the golf balls very hard. Cruelty to golf balls isn't cool.

#71 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 04:09 AM

Sellers of the former Royal Oak Golf Course have set a June 7 deadline for offers for the 27-acre property, recently listed at $9.5 million.

Santanna Portman, real estate listing agent with William Wright Commercial, said five major groups are expected to submit offers, some from as far away as eastern Canada.

The property at 540 Marsett Pl. in Saanich is within B.C.’s Agricultural Land Reserve.

“Some prospective buyers are happy with a unique long-term real estate hold, especially in an economic climate where there is a clear housing shortage, while others see value in retaining the ALR designation,” Portman said.

https://www.timescol...-course-7068594

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 May 2023 - 04:09 AM.

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 08:18 AM

No housing here, it looks like. The CRD has purchased the golf course.

BC – The Capital Regional District (CRD) has purchased the former Royal Oak Golf Course – a 10.92-hectare (27 acre) parcel of land adjacent to Elk/Beaver Lake Regional Park in the District of Saanich.

“Elk/Beaver Lake Regional Park is one of the most beloved and popular parks in the region and provides a much-needed near-urban natural recreation space for CRD residents and visitors alike,” said Colin Plant, CRD Board Chair. “Acquiring a parcel of this size adjacent to such a popular park is extremely welcome news and creates new opportunities to protect valuable green space and explore future potential uses for the land.”

The new parcel, which was purchased for $8.5 million, is adjacent to the southeast boundary of Elk/Beaver Lake Regional Park and includes existing connector trails between Saanich Commonwealth Place and Elk/Beaver Lake Regional Park. The land shows ecological restoration potential and is also located within a critical habitat zone for the barn owl (Tyto alba). Through ecological restoration, the landscape could potentially support a wider diversity of species.

The CRD's boundaries span the traditional territories of many First Nations, whose ancestors have been caretakers of these lands since time immemorial. The CRD is having active discussions with local First Nations on the future of this property.

In the spirit and practice of reconciliation, the CRD will continue to collaborate with local First Nations to determine appropriate actions in regional parks and trails that respect Indigenous rights, uplift Indigenous governance and strengthen government-to-government relationships.

Now that the land has been purchased, a park values inventory (cultural, environmental, recreation) will be undertaken, and an Interim Management Guideline will be prepared to guide decisions until the development of a long-term management plan is undertaken which will include a full public engagement on future land uses and relationship with Elk/Beaver Lake Regional Park.

Acquisition of the former Royal Oak Golf Course fits within the strategic priorities identified in the Regional Parks & Trails Strategic Plan 2022-2032, including prioritizing environmental conservation, enhancing the visitor experience, increasing the accessibility and equity benefits of regional parks, prioritizing First Nations reconciliation, and addressing climate action and resiliency throughout the CRD Regional Parks system.

The CRD has provided a regional parks service since 1966. Since then, the regional parks system has grown to include 33 regional parks and four regional trails, comprising over 13,300 hectares of land.

Regional park land acquisition is guided by the CRD's Regional Parks Land Acquisition Strategy which identifies guiding principles and criteria for selecting desirable parcels of land to purchase as regional park. With the support of partners, the CRD has acquired nearly 5,000 hectares of land since 2000. The Land Acquisition Strategy will be updated in 2024 to reflect the priorities identified in the Regional Parks & Trails Strategic Plan 2022-2032.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#73 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 November 2023 - 09:12 AM

Is this the best use of our money?

#74 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 09:13 AM

It's a better use than BC Housing buying Tiny Town.

#75 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 09:16 AM

Is this the best use of our money?

It IS pretty expensive for parkland.

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.11.02-13_17_57.png

It's ALR land, it was going to stay in similar condition. 

But here is the thing, why can the CRD make it a park (effectively ending any possibility of farming on it), but other users cannot also buy it and deliberately end farming?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 November 2023 - 09:20 AM.

#76 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 09:28 AM

Didn't the developer group pay like $3.5M for it 6 years ago?

Edited by spanky123, 02 November 2023 - 09:30 AM.

#77 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,345 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 09:29 AM

Didn't the developer group pay like $3M for it?

The property has been owned by a Saskatchewan-based numbered company called 1122580 B.C. Ltd. since August 2017, when it was purchased for $3.5 million, B.C. land records show.

Current zoning allows a buyer to revive the golf course, but the majority of the land is within the Agricultural Land Reserve, which would limit other uses.

https://www.timescol...imit other uses.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 November 2023 - 09:30 AM.

#78 Tony

Tony
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 09:32 AM

Like the Saanich feed lot this is surrounded  by housing. Could all or part of it be used as allotments in the future plans?

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 November 2023 - 09:36 AM

That's highly unlikely. Once it becomes parkland, that's usually the end of the road.

Know it all.

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 07:38 AM

I looked up some records, and the property taxes on this property in 2017 were $18k. In 2022 they were $58k.

In 2012 they were $30k, and fell every year until 2017. I wonder why there's such a discrepancy from year to year. In 2021 the taxes were $45k.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users