Photo

Starlight Stadium (formerly Westhills Stadium) | City of Langford

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:27 PM

If you’d only read the Citified link above you’d get so many answers to your questions :)

So the soccer team gets 85% of the public money and the other two teams get nothing?  Langford only gets 15%?  Wow...

#22 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:30 PM

So the soccer team gets 85% of the public money and the other two teams get nothing?  Langford only gets 15%?  Wow...

the soccer team was the one that went out and secured the sponsor.  the 15/85 deal with langford was decided long before they brought the naming partner onboard.  and the other teams have never been part of the deal.  if they wanted some part of it they could have negotiated some rights before they signed to be a tenant.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 January 2021 - 03:32 PM.

• Brayvehart likes this

#23 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:32 PM

They just expanded the stadium and built a massive indoor training facility out in Westhills for a professional soccer league but then Covid hit.  Better private funds pay to keep the team afloat than a taxpayer bailout.... 

• Brayvehart and JohnsonStBridge like this

#24 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

They just expanded the stadium and built a massive indoor training facility out in Westhills for a professional soccer league but then Covid hit.  Better private funds pay to keep the team afloat than a taxpayer bailout.... 

The soccer league paid for the expansion of the facility?  Is that true?  With no ownership of it?  The training facility will make the club or league money..  Expensive to rent out.

#25 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:37 PM

Pacific FC paid $5M for the indoor fieldhouse to be built. I believe the soccer club owns the facility but leases the land from the City.

#26 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:06 AM

A stadium by any other name is a common thing. Especially when it comes to corporate sponsorships, which switch often as a part of the economics of sport, such as the recent change in Seattle from CenturyLink to Lumen Field.

So Westhills Stadium officially becomes Starlight Stadium this week.

https://www.timescol...dium-1.24307041

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:38 AM

....So Westhills Stadium officially becomes Starlight Stadium this week...

But only for nighttime activities - right?

#28 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 05:06 AM

The timing is probably right, with the North America World Cup and our entry this year.

Whether it's a great use of Langford-only taxpayer dollars is another matter.

https://www.timescol...0-seats-5260587

Young confirmed a B.C. Hydro utility pole, which blocked stadium expansion on the side opposite the existing main grandstand, is being uprooted and 4,000 to 5,000 permanent stands will be placed there.

Langford council has approved the $8.5-million project, with $4 million of that involving pole removal and $4.5 million for the new grandstand.

“We are closing off the corners with U-shapes and it will be very intimate,” said Young.

“It is going to be the best stadium on the Island and one of the best stadiums of its size anywhere. It will allow us to bring in bigger concerts and Pacific FC to bring in European teams [European clubs often tour North American in summer to play exhibitions].”

It still surprises me that this damn pole costs $4m to move.

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.04.13-09_08_47.png

Higher initial construction costs. According to the May 2011 paper “Underground Electric Transmission Lines” published by the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin, “The estimated cost for constructing underground transmission lines ranges from 4 to 14 times more expensive than overhead lines of the same voltage and same distance. A typical new 69 kV overhead single-circuit transmission line costs approximately $285,000 per mile as opposed to $1.5 million per mile for a new 69 kV underground line (without the terminals). A new 138 kV overhead line costs approximately $390,000 per mile as opposed to $2 million per mile for underground (without the terminals).”

https://www.power-gr...omparison/#gref

Correct me if I'm wrong (is there an electrician on this board?)  :rtfm: 

But all they have to do here is build one new tower across the road, string some new wires to it, that bypass the existing one, then decommission the old pole*.  Take that pole to the place you bought the new one and get partial credit for the used return.

* I'm willing to do this work for $2.8 million, plus parts.  And gloves I guess.  I'll need gloves on to grab the lines.   And real thick ones. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2022 - 05:36 AM.

#29 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 05:37 AM

So maybe another ten grand for real thick gloves.  Or whatever they cost to rent.

Or why not do this work during earth hour?  Then you can shut the power off for an hour.   And I won't need gloves.   But I'll want another $400 to pay the guy that watches you at the switch to make sure you do not turn it back on while I'm moving it.  And we will each have a walkie talkie.  So say another $95 for a walkie-talkie set.  I'm still not up to $4 million.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2022 - 05:41 AM.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 05:49 AM

Just the crane would have cost a huge sum. Then you have to build the footing elsewhere.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 06:04 AM

Federal Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi says the government and BC Hydro will expand the Peace area's existing transmission infrastructure by building two parallel 230-kilovolt power lines running from the Site C dam near Fort St. John to an area east of Chetwynd.

The power line project is estimated to cost $289 million, with the federal government contributing $83.6 million and BC Hydro, $205.4 million.

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.04.13-10_05_27 (1).png

^ $5.25 million per kilometer, in the middle of nowhere.

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.04.13-10_13_37.png

^ We have three poles in this 450m stretch.  We need to move the one in the middle.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2022 - 06:17 AM.

#32 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 11:20 AM

I am sure it isn't as simple as stringing new wires onto new towers where you don't need to worry about services like the underground gas feed that runs through there, buildings, etc.  In my mind, $4M is probably a reasonable budget and you can bet that Langford will get it done without all of the shenanigans one would see with the CoV.   

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 11:27 AM

Perhaps, yes. The middle of nowhere might actually be an easier setting than in a busy urban environment.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 12:15 PM

I am sure it isn't as simple as stringing new wires onto new towers where you don't need to worry about services like the underground gas feed that runs through there, buildings, etc.  In my mind, $4M is probably a reasonable budget and you can bet that Langford will get it done without all of the shenanigans one would see with the CoV.   

You may just have to knock it down in a year or two because it didn't have an architect sign off on it and the engineer had got his certification from Udemy!

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

#35 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 13 April 2022 - 12:25 PM

At about ~$100M less than it costs to build a bridge of comparable size I would have to say that is a reasonable price.

#36 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 12:39 PM

They're probably $500,000.00 into it with just the engineering staff and documents to plot the move.

As well, high voltage cables can't be run over any infrastructure, like buildings ... making it all likely quite tricky in an ever developing Langford Parkway.

For perspective, recall what a million bucks gets you in terms of construction of a new home (not very much more than just a normal house), and then scale that up to a massive high voltage tower to be dismantled, re-wired, and then a separate tower to be built anew.

It's an easy $4 million.

• Mike K. likes this

#37 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 08:56 PM

The City of Langford says it plans to hold a referendum on whether it should borrow money to expand Starlight Stadium, after Pacific FC did not automatically renew its agreement to operate in the stadium due to its current size.

Pacific FC originally came to Langford and agreed to operate out of Starlight Stadium, on the condition that the seating be expanded to 10,000 seats from its current 6,000, which was inhibited by the hydro pole that was in the way.

The hydro pole has now been moved, at a cost of $4.25 million, but the status of expanding the seating seems to be up in the air.

Council has approved $50,000 to be spent to come up with design renderings to add the additional 4,000 seats.

However, given the anticipated cost of expanding the seats, which was estimated at $4.5 million in 2022, council has opted to hold a referendum on whether it should borrow money to expand the seating at Starlight Stadium.

“The City has been working closely with Pacific FC (PFC) to negotiate a new Stadium Use Agreement for another five-year term,” the City of Langford said in a Facebook post Friday.

“As part of the negotiations, PFC has stated that the completion of the stadium is critical to the continued growth and long-term viability of the Team and to bring world class events to the region.”

“While negotiations are complex and involve numerous intertwined agreements between the City and PFC, the City has presented a mutually beneficial offer of a new five-year Stadium Use Agreement to PFC. The City is optimistic that this will be finalized in the coming days and that PFC will continue to play in Langford for years to come.”

Langford did not include information on when the referendum would be held.

https://www.cheknews...ansion-1190275/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 February 2024 - 08:56 PM.

#38 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:13 PM

GF7Vq2CWIAAUCsB.png

screenshot-twitter.com-2024.02.10-00_09_59.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 February 2024 - 09:17 PM.

#39 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 10:51 PM

So let me get this straight. No referendum for expanding stadium is it a okay? But when there's no referendum for the CRD to borrow money for affordable housing that's tyranny?

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 10:56 PM

Why spend $4.5 million moving the hydro pole if you are not expanding the stadium?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users