Photo

Starlight Stadium (formerly Westhills Stadium) | City of Langford

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

Looks like Westhills in Langford is to be upgraded to 8,000 permanent seats.  This should be the largest stadium with Centennial Stadium being 5,000 seats and Royal Athletic being 3,800.

Royal Athletic has grown to 9,200 seats with the use of temporary seats, but I suppose you could increase the capacity of Centennial or Westhills the same.

“We have put money aside in our recreation fund and we work with the development community,” Young said. “We move the red tape and bureaucracy out of the way.”

I'm not sure what Stew Young means when he says they will work with the "development community"?  Is it being subsidized by a nearby development?

http://www.timescolo...eats-1.23188068

• jonny likes this

#2 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:33 PM

Who actually OWNS this stadium? Langford, Keycorp, Westills, a P3? If anyone really knows for sure please share with the group.

Edited by Lorenzo, 02 March 2018 - 06:01 AM.

• On the Level likes this

#3 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:34 PM

From 2008, when a new 4,500 seat stadium was to be built at the Westshore Parks and Rec;

"Because we believe WSPR will still build a 4,500 seat stadium, we scaled ours down to 1,600" said Young

I remember this from the kerfuffle this created by the possible replace the Velodrome Cycling Track.  Instead they rebuilt the track.  

I could only find reference to it on pressreader.....This was from a Nov 19 2008 Times Colonist article.

https://www.pressrea...lonist/20081119

I guess the WSPR stadium is dead.

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:55 AM

I suppose you could increase the capacity of Centennial or Westhills the same.

Don't quote me but I think you might be able to get a fair bit more temporary seating at Centennial Stadium.

CentennialStadium-1994-TemporarySeating-1.jpg

CentennialStadium-1994-TemporarySeating-2.jpg

Strange but true, earlier this week I had a dream that Langford was building a big new stadium for a CFL team. Really odd coincidence, I don't know if I've ever had a dream about Langford let alone about a new stadium in Langford. I realize that the stadium they're planning is just a community facility, but still...

Edited by aastra, 02 March 2018 - 09:56 AM.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#5 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:58 PM

Don't quote me but I think you might be able to get a fair bit more temporary seating at Centennial Stadium.

Strange but true, earlier this week I had a dream that Langford was building a big new stadium for a CFL team. Really odd coincidence, I don't know if I've ever had a dream about Langford let alone about a new stadium in Langford. I realize that the stadium they're planning is just a community facility, but still...

According to Wikipedia, Centennial was expanded to 30,000 for the games.  Looking at Westshore's stadium, there isn't much room to expand.  Perhaps 12 to 14K but that's just a guess.

They are not pushing it as a community facility but a regional district one....with a connection to federal sports.  

The Rugby Canada offices are located behind Westhills Stadium. The adjacent $7.9-million Al Charron National Training Centre indoor facility has been under construction since last fall and is nearing completion.

http://www.timescolo...ntre-1.23092882

If you dreamt of a new Stadium?  You should buy a lottery ticket.....and give me half when you win!   :)

#6 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

Meanwhile...

“Langford has refused to approve the funding requests needed to maintain West Shore Parks and Recreation service levels for their residents,” reads the release. “Langford rejected the 2017 budget on the grounds that their contributions should be reduced because they have invested elsewhere. Langford did not offer to involve West Shore Parks and Recreation in the establishment of other facilities, nor have they proposed any cost sharing agreement related to those facilities for West Shore Parks and Recreation owner municipalities to consider. As a result, West Shore Parks and Recreation has been underfunded, and has had no choice but to propose a deficit budget for 2018 that depletes the organization’s reserves by more than $225,000. This is not a sustainable financial plan.”

https://www.goldstre...anges-made-now/

Edited by rambaldi, 03 March 2018 - 07:19 AM.

#7 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:24 AM

Interesting.....I remember reading a number of articles over the years that reveals some of the issues with WSPR...here is one.  

Langford entered an agreement to help pay not only it's share, but also gave money to Colwood and Highlands to help get WSPR started.  Metchosin declined to pay anything.  This arrangement was be phased out by 2023.

Since then, the other municipalities (WSPR) keep voting down expansions needed for Langfords growing population, forcing Langford to build it's own facilities outside of the WSPR.  Langford now pays for 3 recreation centres.    

WSPR was unable/unwilling to meet the needs of the Westshore, forcing Langford to go it alone, to the benefit of surrounding municipalities.  They are now continuing to try to maintain a collaborative financial model while vetoing the needs of the Westshore.  It's no surprise that Langford is walking away from WSPR.

http://timescolonist...model-1.1741351

• rambaldi likes this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for that, OTL. I had suspected the situation wasn’t quite as cut and dry as it was being made out to be.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:32 AM

Toronto-based developer secures naming rights for Langford's Westhills Stadium, home of Pacific F.C.

https://victoria.cit...of-pacific-f-c/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:50 AM

Weren't (aren't?) there also plans to significantly expand the stadium seating capacity - is that still in the works?

#11 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,329 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:52 AM

it already happened.

#12 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:34 PM

Hm drove by a couple of weeks ago didn't look any different to me. For some reason I thought it was to seat much more than 6000 bodies....closer to 10k+. Clearly my memory isn't what it once was.

#13 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:30 PM

A larger expansion of ~ 8,000 was indeed talked about prior to landing a CPL franchise. It would have had stadium seating around the South, West and North sides of the field

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 1.53.12 PM.png

Pre-expansion at 1,700 seats:

15.jpg

Post expansion at 6,000. A larger grandstand at the West end, no seating on the North side, and a bleacher supporter section on the East end.

Untitled.png

• Mike K. and AllseeingEye like this

#14 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:38 PM

A larger expansion of ~ 8,000 was indeed talked about prior to landing a CPL franchise. It would have had stadium seating around the South, West and North sides of the field

attachicon.gif Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 1.53.12 PM.png

Pre-expansion at 1,700 seats:

15.jpg

Post expansion at 6,000. A larger grandstand at the West end, no seating on the North side, and a bleacher supporter section on the East end.

attachicon.gif Untitled.png

Thanks JSB...nice to know one isn't completely losing one's mind. Too bad IMO it didn't expand per the original concept. Could've brought in some great concerts with an outdoor venue that size. Perhaps one day it will be $ viable to expand it per that plan.

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:41 PM

Oh I’m sure it will be. It’ll take a bit of time to ensure all those seats can be filled, though.

But the fact Langford can build a 6,000 seat stadium and Victoria has a 7,000 seat arena goes to show what a bizarre world we live in.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:47 PM

They also would have to move the electric transmission lines which would be very costly.

• AllseeingEye likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#17 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,329 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:41 PM

A name change is coming to one of the Island’s largest venues with Westhills Stadium in Langford becoming Starlight Stadium. Toronto-based Starlight Investments will pay more than $500,000 for the naming rights over five years in what Mayor Stew Young describes as the largest corporate sponsorship in Langford history.

“This is a big deal, for Langford and for Pacific FC,” said Young. “This will really help out the club [financially] during the pandemic.”

https://www.timescol...deal-1.24268633

#18 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:58 PM

They also would have to move the electric transmission lines which would be very costly.

I thought they did that no?

#19 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:25 AM

I thought they did that no?

I believe there is a plan and potentially some money for it.

“This is a big deal, for Langford and for Pacific FC,” said Young. “This will really help out the club [financially] during the pandemic.”

Pacific FC would get the money for naming a public facility?

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:34 AM

If you’d only read the Citified link above you’d get so many answers to your questions :)

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users