BUILT
Glen Valley Grove, building A
Use: rental
Address: 3149 Aggregate Court
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 6
Glen Valley Grove, building A is a six-storey purpose-built rental complex situated along the Galloping Goose ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Glen Valley Grove, building A on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] 2682-2706 Sooke Road | Rentals, condos, office, retail | 3-to-6-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

Offices-apartments-and-Glen-Lake-Rd-realignment-planned-as-part-of-Sooke-Rd-dev.jpg

An artist's rendering of Oakcrest Park Estate's proposal for a mixed-use development at Sooke, Glen Lake and Happy Valley roads. The project also encompass a realignment of Glen Lake Road that would see the artery connect with Happy Valley Road at Sooke Road.

Offices, apartments and Glen Lake Rd. realignment planned as part of Sooke Rd. dev

https://victoria.cit...f-sooke-rd-dev/

Big changes have been proposed at the nexus of Sooke, Glen Lake and Happy Valley roads in Langford.

Developer Oakcrest Park Estates is pursuing a mixed-use, high-density office, retail and residential development along the 2600 and 2700-blocks of Sooke Road that would yield three residential complexes, a commercial building and a realignment of Glen Lake Road.

All but two of Oakcrest’s holdings at 2682, 2684, 2686, 2696 and 2706 Sooke Road are currently vacant land. The duo of utilized parcels house a single commercial building per lot.

As part of the proposal, Glen Lake Road will be realigned to connect with Happy Valley Road at Sooke Road. A controlled four-way intersection would replace the current three-way intersection at Sooke Road and Happy Valley Road while doing away with Glen Lake Road’s uncontrolled connection to Sooke Road some 100 meters to the west. [Full article]

• 2F2R likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

1965 called and it wants its aesthetics back.

• AllseeingEye, Lorenzo and nagel like this

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

needs pilotis like these  :cool: 

Design-Bau-Architekturbuero-Innenarchite

http://laformamodern...dificio-de.html

Edited by amor de cosmos, 13 March 2018 - 04:00 PM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#4 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:48 PM

I like the idea and the location but that hurts the eyes just looking at it. Fortunately it is only at the early proposal stage. I hope. Because those two buildings in the rear are a real "bow-wow" concept as they are envisioned, designed and positioned on the site above. Nail in a few stout 2x4's connecting the two buildings and the USN could use them for carrier-aircraft takeoff and landing practice....

• Nparker likes this

#5 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:24 PM

The location is prime for a major commercial / residential development and the road (and trail) intersection definitely could use the upgrade. Two rectangular buildings somewhere between 70 and 100 m long each is overkill, particularly when it would create a long wall for the Galloping Goose and any neighbours on the adjacent road. 

AllseeingEye is correct - the development could simply be called the USS Langford, a new class of land-based aircraft carriers. 

Suggest 4-5 buildings of varying lengths no more than 30-40 m would be much more appropriate, even to the eyes of the development-friendly Langford council.  

Edited by manuel, 13 March 2018 - 10:26 PM.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this
"I know nothing"

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:49 AM

This is actually a style of apartment building that's been used heavily throughout the region, especially in Saanich where the longest is 200m. These ones are a puny 100m long.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:02 AM

What’s the longest in Saanich? The Fraser Tolmie at Richmond and Cedar Hill is super long, the L one. And the one on the side of Mt. Tolmie is very long too.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

The one on the side of Mt. Tolmie is indeed the longest, and it's 200 metres long, give or take.

Know it all.

#9 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:08 AM

Whats with the green space? Park? Future development?

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:14 AM

These are all the same scale.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2018.03.14-09-12-39.png screenshot-www.google.ca-2018.03.14-09-09-55 (1).png screenshot-www.google.ca-2018.03.14-09-09-55.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:19 AM

I am not sure the Fraser Tolmie apartments are a design worth repeating.  :wacko:

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

Whats with the green space? Park? Future development?

That land is not owned by the developer of this project, so it will remain vacant until it can either be acquired or is developed.

Know it all.

#13 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

I am not sure the Fraser Tolmie apartments are a design worth repeating.  :wacko:

Is that a tongue-in-cheek jab of the double posted photo or a genuine architectural sentiment?

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

Is that a tongue-in-cheek jab of the double posted photo or a genuine architectural sentiment?

A little of both.  :P

#15 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

Eh, they're from decades ago when density was less a concern. I live there; the complex has undergone recent updates, with new carpet, paint, fixtures etc.

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:04 PM

Eh, they're from decades ago when density was less a concern. I live there; the complex has undergone recent updates, with new carpet, paint, fixtures etc.

I meant no offense to the residents of the FT apartments, but that sort of massing is just plain ugly. I am sure we can do better today.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:18 AM

It bears repeating, there are some very long lowrise apartment blocks in Victoria. Some of them are very long. I think the one on Begbie would have the longest continuous hallway if you were to straighten it all out. (Don't actually attempt it, we're just musing here.)

• Nparker likes this

#18 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:38 PM

Multi-acre mixed-use project moves forward on Sooke Road at Happy Valley Road in Langford

https://victoria.cit...ad-in-langford/

Know it all.

#19 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:27 PM

That rendering is nearly 18 months old: any substantive changes, or is that proposal "it"?

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:31 PM

That’s what it went into the approvals stage with, so that’s quite possibly it. Rental projects aren’t known to pursue much in the way of renderings once approvals are in hand, but who knows.

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users