Sparrow
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1301 Hillside Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Sparrow offers a distinct collection of intelligently designed 1 & 2 bedroom homes in Victoria's vibrant O... (view full profile)
Learn more about Sparrow on Citified.ca
Photo

[Oaklands] Sparrow | Condos | 6-storeys | Completed - Built in 2023

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#61 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:40 AM

Marko, do you have a sense of how pre-sales are going?

Knowing that Abstract often moves quickly I imagine that they will get going on construction by the fall...

#62 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:15 AM

Sparrow condominium dev launching second phase of sales with BC Housing-backed first-time buyer incentives

https://victoria.cit...yer-incentives/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:44 AM

So $163,000 per year income to be able to buy a 571sf 2bed unit? aka no discount off market price.

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:50 AM

That is the maximum in household income, not that that's the income required.

As someone who had to put down 27.5% to qualify as a self-employed individual, an opportunity to put down 5% would have meant I could have bought a home years sooner. Rules are different for self-employed people and those who earn a salary at a private or public organization, but if this helps someone earning $70k a year buy their first home several years faster, that's ultimately a good thing. 

• Matt R. and JohnsonStBridge like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:08 PM

I understand my man

Typically, these programs limit the sale price by qualifying income. By setting the income so high, with such a small unit, the discount will likely default to the BC Housing minimum of 5-10%

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:23 PM

Can you speak to how the maximums are set? $163,000 is a decent household income.

Know it all.

#67 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:34 PM

Can you speak to how the maximums are set? $163,000 is a decent household income.

It certainly is decent. Interesting times we've reached where families with up to 163 000 income are even considering small 571 sqft condos.
  • zoomer and Victoria Watcher like this

#68 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:36 PM

Great looking building, so nice to see something happening here again after all these years of sitting empty. I see the first release has sold out with the second release being tomorrow. Has excavation started?

#69 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:30 PM

October 29

Sparrow-October-2020a.jpg

Know it all.

#70 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:55 AM

any update here?

#71 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:57 AM

What about the poor lil' orphans?

the orphans have been bought off.

https://www.iheartra...8nn54rHX-KOEy9E

so they are set to sleep well tonight.  plus did you watch queens gambit?  those orphans are all the rage now.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2021 - 06:58 AM.

#72 etherbuns

etherbuns
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 07:20 PM

Great looking building, so nice to see something happening here again after all these years of sitting empty. I see the first release has sold out with the second release being tomorrow. Has excavation started?

I have to disagree on liking the design of the new building; I favoured the more conventional and classic style of the original proposal. The current design is a real mishmash of materials and massing, and the wood cladding they'll be using is more of the same wood shipboard style 'decking' that gets stained and water damaged after one or two winter seasons. 

Were I the designer, I would have done away with the large, chunky and unecessary overhangs to remove water traps and improve natural light into the building (this side of the building is NW, so needs all the light it can get), and swapped the wood for a brick feature. If you're wondering what I mean, you can witness the awful water damage this kind of wood cladding suffers from at the Boulevard Condo building on Shelbourne (see the screenshot below). Unfortunately today's architects don't have much of a grasp on what will wear well and look good for decades without needing constant maintenance.

#73 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 March 2021 - 12:53 PM

This has got to be one of the first by-video pre-sale purchasers in our region? At least in recent times? A purchaser working from Dubai purchased his suite remotely. This is not something that is commonly handled in Victoria, but it sounds like things went smoothly.

Sparrow.jpg

An aerial view depicting the future location of Sparrow, on Hillside Avenue at Cook Street, in the City of Victoria's Oaklands neighbourhood. Sparrow will rise to six-storeys with 49 residences.

More project details.

First-time homebuyers flock to a car-free lifestyle at Sparrow by Abstract Developments

• Brantastic likes this
Know it all.

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:29 PM

This project is 80% sold-out now, leaving about 10 homes of the 49.

Know it all.

#75 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:58 PM

2 x 2 bedrooms left here. Any further thoughts?

Matt.

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 05:23 AM

2 2BR units, or 2 2BR floorplans remain?

It’s probably the last time you’ll see this price range, for sure. And in terms of an investment you’re along the UVic/Camosun corridor making it desirable in a big way for the student population.

Know it all.

#77 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:17 AM

500k or so? hmm.

#78 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:53 PM

2 2BR units, or 2 2BR floorplans remain?

It’s probably the last time you’ll see this price range, for sure. And in terms of an investment you’re along the UVic/Camosun corridor making it desirable in a big way for the student population.

Just two 2 bedrooms. Back corner on the cridge side, which I assume is the better side? One parking stall.

Matt.

#79 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:53 PM

500k or so? hmm.

660 and 670. One is larger inside and one is larger outside.

Matt.
  • lanforod likes this

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:55 PM

What floor are they on?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users