• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

Wow, it's been ages since I've started a new thread!  So a colleague and I went to Gozen on Friday for lunch.  I had popped in previously and looked at a lunch menu.  I was disappointed to see the price point for a bento at $15-17.  As a point of reference, Koto just a block over offers a decent amount of food of above average quality for $10.50  But we still wanted to give it a shot, as we work nearby.

So as much as we won't be coming here once per week like we do Koto, you can tell the difference in the price.  The quality and presentation were far above what you'd get elsewhere.  I would even suggest that they would give ebizo, Victoria's apparent gold standard of sushi, a run for their money.  The fish was fresh and the presentation was crisp.  It reminds me a lot of THE NEXT Japanese fusion in Cook Street Village (who are sadly closing at the end of the month, due to owner illness and no buyer).

Where they excel over even ebizo is the friendliness of their staff (we got a loud MOSHI MOSHI from the sushi bar chefs on the other side of the restaurant, a la Norm from Cheers) and the atmosphere of the room.  They did very little to change what they got from North 48, aside from some Japanese flourishes.  Incidentally, I hear that they purchased all of the fixtures and tenant improvements for about $50k.  They will need that leg up given what I assume the rent is.

Their biggest challenge will be pulling tourists down from Government Street.  I have faith that they should be able to do this on reputation alone.

• Matt R. and Gary H like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users