BUILT
The Dalmatian
Uses: rental, civic
Address: 1025 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 11
The Dalmatian is an 11-storey mixed-use affordable rental tower in the 1000-block of Johnson Street in downtow... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Dalmatian on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] The Dalmatian | Victoria No. 1 Firehall | Rentals, office space | Completed - Built in 2023

• Please log in to reply
785 replies to this topic

#201 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:53 AM

I think a safe injection site is highly unlikely. This is not a street shelter, this is affordable housing.

Still loving this proposal and I will bet when it is built out, surrounding property values go up as they will be in a vibrant downtown neighborhood, not overlooking a parking lot on the fringe of downtown.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#202 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:09 AM

I think a safe injection site is highly unlikely. This is not a street shelter, this is affordable housing.

Still loving this proposal and I will bet when it is built out, surrounding property values go up as they will be in a vibrant downtown neighborhood, not overlooking a parking lot on the fringe of downtown.

If the site is zoned for institutional use then there are a variety of options that an owner can undertake.

I have no doubt that if luxury condos are built on site then surrounding values will increase. Once the property is rezoned then the developer (or future developer) can do whatever they want with the site within the zoning parameters. Circling back again to trust, what proponents are saying is rezone the site as we wish and then we will disclose what we plan to do with it in future phases.

Edited by spanky123, 13 February 2019 - 08:13 AM.

#203 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:39 AM

...I have no doubt that if luxury condos are built on site then surrounding values will increase...

Is that luxury as in Customs House or "luxury" as in every other condo built in Harris Green in the past 10 years?

#204 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:46 AM

Is that luxury as in Customs House or "luxury" as in every other condo built in Harris Green in the past 10 years?

I guess that the definition of luxury depends on where you sit. Council seems to feel that left to their own devices, developers build housing that is not affordable to the average person in Victoria (ie luxury).  

#205 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:20 AM

...Council seems to feel that left to their own devices, developers build housing that is not affordable to the average person in Victoria (ie luxury).  

Of course that is specious reasoning as no rational developer is going to build something that no one can afford to buy.

#206 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:51 AM

Of course that is specious reasoning as no rational developer is going to build something that no one can afford to buy.

Lots of people from Ontario and Vancouver can afford to buy properties here. In fact, and I have mentioned previously, the OCP anticipates that 100% of Victoria's growth over the next 20 years will come from retirees.

#207 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:00 AM

100% seniors? But the mayor says 20 and 30-somethings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#208 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:21 AM

Lots of people from Ontario and Vancouver can afford to buy properties here. In fact, and I have mentioned previously, the OCP anticipates that 100% of Victoria's growth over the next 20 years will come from retirees.

That's pretty scary. Did anyone ever imagine the day would come when retirees would be relevant in Victoria? Also, just imagine all of the social problems. Crime will be through the roof, etc. The city needs to crack down on the retiree menace.*

*today is opposite day

• Nparker likes this

#209 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

Why are we even talking about this? News articles from the 1960s informed us that Victoria was on the brink of catastrophic unaffordability almost 60 years ago. Ordinary people were ruthlessly being driven out. By 2019 the city would be nothing but a ghost town of unoccupied luxury apartments.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#210 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:29 AM

..I have mentioned previously, the OCP anticipates that 100% of Victoria's growth over the next 20 years will come from retirees.

I have no problem with that.

#211 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:03 PM

100% seniors? But the mayor says 20 and 30-somethings.

Here is the link. 65+ will double, 55+ will grow substantially, 25-34 will decline sharply and every other group will remain about flat. https://www.victoria...d_Sept_2016.pdf page 21

The Mayor may think that building a few affordable homes may change the outlook but I wouldn't hold me breathe.

• Mike K. likes this

#212 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:05 PM

100% of the growth from retirees? That is ludicrous if they actually forecast that. The answer to that would be to a) build More houses to keep house prices in check (supply/demand) and to draw new jobs to the region.

No condos built here would be luxury. The sales price here wouldn’t justify the cost. It would be more
Of the same (Mondrian, Yates on Yates etc) if they went condo.

No private developer will ever build a safe injection site.

#213 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:19 AM

So Victoria, the land if the the newly wed and nearly dead will be dropping the newly wed portion?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#214 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:53 AM

100% of the growth from retirees? That is ludicrous if they actually forecast that. The answer to that would be to a) build More houses to keep house prices in check (supply/demand) and to draw new jobs to the region.

No condos built here would be luxury. The sales price here wouldn’t justify the cost. It would be more
Of the same (Mondrian, Yates on Yates etc) if they went condo.

No private developer will ever build a safe injection site.

I am not debating the content of the document just pointing it out. This was produced by the City and updated 2 years ago. Presumably it is the best information that City staff had available at the time and Mayor and council would have been fully briefed. If there is better or more current information available then I would be happy to view it. Failing that, I would suggest that City policy be based on the information we have and not be based on personal aspirations.

#215 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:22 PM

There’s no personal aspirations there just acknowledgement that no private developer will ever voluntarily build a safe injection site on their land and that that area of town doesn’t pencil for luxury which is why no one else has built luxury. It’s all mid market.

Did it pass today?

#216 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:31 PM

There’s no personal aspirations there just acknowledgement that no private developer will ever voluntarily build a safe injection site on their land and that that area of town doesn’t pencil for luxury which is why no one else has built luxury. It’s all mid market.

Did it pass today?

Wasn't suggesting your personal aspirations!

The proposal was passed to proceed to public hearings 7:1. Having said that, many of the Councillors were hesitant to let the proposal proceed and only did so with the Mayor's urging. The Mayor stated that any delay at this point would impact the 130 people waiting for new homes and that Council could still weigh in. My bet is that with the DRA so strongly opposed, this will not proceed further without substantial guarantees by the developer.

#217 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:26 AM

I do note that the mayor made a comment that no purpose-built affordable housing has been added to "the downtown" since the 1990's.

If we split hairs and only include downtown-proper then yes, Kool-Aid's 700-block of Pandora complex and the SVDP complex on Yates would be the ones she is referring to, but if we consider the broader context of "the downtown" which we are if Cook at Johnson is "the downtown," then we'll have had multiple buildings provide purpose-built affordable housing/social housing/below-market housing since the 90's.

- Pacifica built a residence between the 800-blocks of Cormorant and Fisgard a decade back, across from the MoH hq

- the Greater Victoria Rental Development Society built Azzurro a year ago at Caledonia and Blanshard

- 844 Johnson Street is most definitely a social housing complex

- Our Place is, too

- Discovery at Government Street (next to the Phillips Brewery) is another social housing complex

- and I'm certain I'm missing a few others

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#218 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:29 AM

^ The Mayor and the truth have a casual relationship!

• Nparker likes this

#219 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:37 PM

The T-C has published an article about the controversy over this proposal, esp in re: to the DRA : https://www.timescol...town-1.23635302

#220 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

Also: t-C article on public hearing: https://www.timescol...ring-1.23635303

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 15 February 2019 - 04:39 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users