BUILT
The Dalmatian
Uses: rental, civic
Address: 1025 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 11
The Dalmatian is an 11-storey mixed-use affordable rental tower in the 1000-block of Johnson Street in downtow... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Dalmatian on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] The Dalmatian | Victoria No. 1 Firehall | Rentals, office space | Completed - Built in 2023

• Please log in to reply
785 replies to this topic

#261 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:28 AM

So you are saying building less units will make rents fall?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#262 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:11 PM

*fewer

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#263 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:16 PM

*fewer

Less/fewer is my pet peeve as well. Of course I am also terribly pedantic.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#264 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:16 PM

Definitely, most certainly, if we introduce more government into this issue of the "housing crisis" which exists because of too much government the problem will absolutely go away.

No doot aboot it. 

Edited by jonny, 19 February 2019 - 12:16 PM.

#265 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:18 PM

that’s why the coalition to end homelessness has wrapped up its mission.
  • jonny likes this

#266 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

that is most likely pulling all of seattle including suburbs where there is limited supply.

if you look at the areas downtown where building has been encouraged you see "....Following that pattern, Seattle’s weakest rent change performers by submarket were neighborhoods with large volumes of Class A stock, and those that have received big blocks of new product in recent years. Rent cuts were steep at around 2% in the South Lake Union/Queen Anne and Downtown Seattle areas, while prices dropped 0.6% to 0.7% in Capitol Hill/Central District and University District/Ballard."

it is an almost irrefutable fact that more supply, puts a damper on rent growth all else equal. if rent control worked, san francisco and new york would be inexpensive.

• Nparker likes this

#267 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:08 PM

Class A is typically a characteristic of office space. Are we certain the above is not referring to office rents?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#268 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:26 PM

yes.  it's an article on rental apartment rents from real page

Class A refers to all real estate. Class A denoting best location/quality regardless of use

https://www.realpage...le-rent-growth/

#269 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:02 PM

Interesting, I've never heard of class A referred to as anything other than office space.

Housing tends to be referred to as below-market, market and luxury.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#270 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:06 PM

...Housing tends to be referred to as below-market, market and luxury.

Except in Victoria where any new, non-rental property is considered luxury.  <_<

• sdwright.vic likes this

#271 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:14 PM

yes.  it's an article on rental apartment rents from real page

Class A refers to all real estate. Class A denoting best location/quality regardless of use

https://www.realpage...le-rent-growth/

Interesting, I've never heard of class A referred to as anything other than office space.

Housing tends to be referred to as below-market, market and luxury.

Methinks it's an American convention, and one that generally makes more sense than below-market, market, and luxury. Class A is basically anything built within the last 10 years, aka "luxury." Class B is well-maintained but older stock, possibly with some upcoming maintenance issues. Class C is the older stock that should be renovated or is in need of repair.

#272 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:44 PM

anyways. i'll be interested to see how this goes at Public Hearing (whenever it is).  I think the public ends up being onside with this

as an onlooker - this solves all my needs. i don't think there needs to be a park here to be honest as long as there is adequate spacing between the buildings (check).

city should focus on improving the parks/green space we have, rather than seeking more.

as for the fire hall - didnt the esquimalt one (at the base) deliver for a similar price with equipment but without land?

land is probably 20% of the cost (maybe more).  i'd assume this is a pretty expensive structure being post disaster. 

won't rail much more but suffice to say i'll be showing up to voice my approval for this at any public hearing.

#273 intheknow

intheknow
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:48 PM

It's interesting to note that this project is basically asking for the same variance (in terms of density and height) that 989 Johnson asked for, which is also zoned R-48. 989 Johnson was granted the variance without a land lift and without any community amenity contribution and resulted in minimal building separation distances and a density above what the OCP prescribes.  Also interesting, the DRA supported the OCP amendment for 1400 Quadra based on providing a market rental building, yet even with a new firehall, 130 affordable housing units, and a plaza, somehow the Fire Hall proposal is getting a sweet deal? Somethings amiss here?

• aastra and jonny like this

#274 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:25 AM

It's interesting to note that this project is basically asking for the same variance (in terms of density and height) that 989 Johnson asked for, which is also zoned R-48. 989 Johnson was granted the variance without a land lift and without any community amenity contribution and resulted in minimal building separation distances and a density above what the OCP prescribes.  Also interesting, the DRA supported the OCP amendment for 1400 Quadra based on providing a market rental building, yet even with a new firehall, 130 affordable housing units, and a plaza, somehow the Fire Hall proposal is getting a sweet deal? Somethings amiss here?

Welcome to VV, intheknow!

Know it all.

#275 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:49 AM

It's interesting to note that this project is basically asking for the same variance (in terms of density and height) that 989 Johnson asked for, which is also zoned R-48. 989 Johnson was granted the variance without a land lift and without any community amenity contribution and resulted in minimal building separation distances and a density above what the OCP prescribes. Also interesting, the DRA supported the OCP amendment for 1400 Quadra based on providing a market rental building, yet even with a new firehall, 130 affordable housing units, and a plaza, somehow the Fire Hall proposal is getting a sweet deal? Somethings amiss here?

I think that you are part way there. The issue isn’t with the R-48 lands per sey. The issue is the developer wanting to take what it perceived as unused density in the theoretical R-48 limit and applying it to another parcel of land zoned S-1 which doesn’t permit the density the developer seeks.

#276 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

It is so inside baseball and irrelevant that it shows that there are other forces at play than what the DRA is trying to say they are concerned about.

I am guessing that lost views and fire engine noise with the additional short term construction noise being the main objections, but they don't want to say that.
  • jonny likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#277 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:05 AM

My guess is the old folks in Sutton East and West don't want a firehall next door and are pissed about losing views. You're absolutely right G Man. Same old story. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

#278 intheknow

intheknow
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:12 AM

So in essence, the developer is asking for a similar density to what was requested at 989 Johnson - but instead of putting that density on their R-48 lands, they want to put it on S-1 lands because the City is getting a fire hall and affordable housing on the R-48 lands. So the ask is the same in terms of density but the location is different because the City is getting an amenity in the location that would support the ask. What would be the issue with this?

#279 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:34 AM

Looks like the loss of views, as Gman says.

We’re back to downtown Victoria of the late 90’s and early 00’s when highrise residents complained about future highrise residents, and nearly always got their way leading to a stunted, under-developed downtown that saw more four and five storey wood framed buildings than a downtown should have ever seen.

Know it all.

#280 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:28 PM

You'd think that of all NIMBY-spouting groups the DOWNTOWN Residents Association would understand that when you choose to live in the heart of a city, especially one where homes are a growing demand, that no one's view is guaranteed. As for the noise from a new fire hall - and other urban sounds - if you don't like that sort of thing, move someplace with a population density of about 1 person/50 km2

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users