PROPOSED
1025 Johnson Street
Uses: rental, civic
Address: 1025 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 12
Johnson Yates Block, phase 1, is a proposal to build an 12-storey mixed-use rental tower along the 1000-block ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1025 Johnson Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Johnson Yates Block (Victoria Mazda property) | Victoria Fire Hall | Rentals, condos, retail space | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#281 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:33 PM

does anyone actually know what the requirements are for fire services?  can't the city survive by moving trucks and people to the other 2 fire halls while a new one was built on yates?  at least up there people are used to the sounds.  and it seems to me the only difference in response times is about 3 minutes at best.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2019.02.23-15-37-07.png

screenshot-www.google.ca-2019.02.23-15-35-47.png

all 3 saanich fire halls are each more than 7km apart.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2019 - 12:41 PM.

#282 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,591 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:45 PM

... can't the city survive by moving trucks and people to the other 2 fire halls while a new one was built on yates?  at least up there people are used to the sounds...

So it's OK for residents in that part of the city to continue to experience fire hall noise, since they are "used to it", but the people living a few blocks west deserve eternal peace and tranquility? I am not sure I follow the logic.

#283 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

well the yates hall has been there since 1958.  so residents moved there knowing about it.  the youngest person that lived there before a fire hall moved in is now 61 years old.  it's next to rental apartments built in the70's. it's across the street from a school/field.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2019 - 12:54 PM.

#284 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

My guess is the old folks in Sutton East and West don't want a firehall next door and are pissed about losing views. You're absolutely right G Man. Same old story. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Sutton East and West are so old and decrepit, they should have no say.

Their version of remodelling is to come up with not even enough money to paint part of the outside of their old and ugly buildings.

Tear them down I say!
  • Nparker likes this

#285 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:58 AM

As a Sutton East owner, I have long supported and happy about the development across the street. This area desperately needs densification. For the record our building is not full of seniors - that would be next door at Sutton West, who also painted their building - which we are not - why would you ever cover up and paint concrete brutalist architecture. We are however getting the building cleaned this year. As for the views, anyone that buys downtown real estate should never assume their view is forever, we certainly didn’t and bought here as it makes sense to live and work downtown and not commute. Don’t assume anything....
  • Nparker, jonny, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#286 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,662 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:03 AM

Yup. That’s the right take, for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#287 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:21 AM

When is the public hearing for this. Doesn’t it have to be soon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users